Author Topic: Marion Rung  (Read 4092 times)

Offline Niko

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
  • fan of Arlene Francis
Marion Rung
« on: January 24, 2010, 05:54:32 PM »
MARION RUNG (ESC 1962, 1973)

Marion Rung was interviewed for today's local newspaper about Eurovision Song Contest. Here is what she was asked and what she answered:

- You have been representing Finland in ESC in 1962 and 1973. In Finnish nf you have also been in 1967, 1969 and 1974. Why have we not seen you ever since in national finals?

MR: Nobody has asked me. Actually in the beginning of 1980's I was asked once, but I had just got a baby then and I felt that I would not be ready for the ESC and so I refused. Since that nobody has asked me.

- If someone asked you, would  you still give another try?

MR: I should think about it. I am and have always been interested in ESC.

- What do you think about the development in ESC since 1960's?

MR: Removing live orchestra changed the whole thing more than any other thing. The original idea, which included a good singer, a good song and a good orchestra, has disappeared. Now the most important thing is a good show.  It is very interesting by its own way, but skill in singing has no more such an important meaning. ESC is nowadays playing with different values and we just have to accept it. If I could change something in the modern ESC, I would bring big live orchestra and every participant country's own conductor back. It would give more festivity and gala feeling to ESC.

- Has ESC any future?

MR: I want to believe so. ESC won't disappear anywhere in the near future. ESC has become a huge happening and it still interests people.

- You have been singing Tipi-tii soon nearly for half a century. Do people still want to listen to it?

MR: Yes. There isn't a concert where somebody would not ask me to sing it. I love that song most of my all songs, because it opened the gates to my career.  I really love to sing Tipi-tii - just like also Tom, tom, tom. People want listen me singing my hits.

- What is the thing you remember best when singing in ESC?

MR: I was representing Finland both times in Luxembourg, in the same hall both times and also I was the first performer both times. There was something fateful in it. In 1962 Eurovision song contest was like  cosy, little  family party. I myself was still then an unknown singer and I was singing in a concert with big stars. 11 years later  I was much more confident as a singer. ESC had grown during those 11 years to a big, commercial happening.

- What is your opinion about Finland's ESC qualification songs this year?

MR: I can't grade them, because I haven't heard all of them. Generally speaking, I am a little bit disappointed to the level. Lyricists and composers do during the year really amazing songs, but they maybe try to compose something too strange to ESC. Best songs never enter ESC.

- What kind of  tips would you like to give to Finland's ESC performer in Oslo?

MR: Trust in yourself, prepare well so that you know what to do, don't be stupefied whatever will happen. You have 3 minutes to charm the audience. Walk to the stage as if you were the winner and don't ask excuses. Your reliability and sympathy can be seen through the tv screens.

- How is your career doing now in 2010?

In October last year was released  an album Elämän voimaa ("Power of Living") and it sold gold. I am regularly giving concerts. This year will happen all kind of new things, but I can't yet talk about them.

Interviewed by Anni Seppälä för Aamulehti newspaper.
Translated by me for escvibes.com

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1189.msg30919#msg30919
Åland forever!

Offline Niko

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
  • fan of Arlene Francis
Re: Marion Rung
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 07:31:45 PM »
By the way, in 1980 Marion Rung was representing Finland in the Intervision Song Contest in Sopot, Poland - and she won it!  :goodjob:  It was also the only time when Finland won ISC. The name of her song was Hyvästi yö (= Goodbye Night), which you can see below.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1189.msg30920#msg30920
Åland forever!

Offline Relyana

• Webmaster
    • Eurovision Forum | ESC Vibes
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 03:26:26 AM »
Interesting info ... amazing how Marion's answers coincide with the way I think about bringing back the orchestra and the conductors.  Although we all know that it's not going to happen, we can at least keep dreaming. :biggrin: 
And yes, best songs never enter esc (well, almost never ... "accidents" happen from time to time).  :P

Thank you very much Niko for taking the time to translate this interview.  :)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1189.msg30933#msg30933
Sometimes I'm good but when I'm bad I'm even better

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 11:59:16 PM »
i love "Tipi-tii" but i'm not too fond of "Tom Tom Tom" mostly the English version is lame and it surely ain't the best finnish esc song from 1961-2005.. but Marion is great and would surely be very welcomed by me if she were to come back !

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1189.msg31139#msg31139

Offline Niko

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
  • fan of Arlene Francis
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 12:27:59 PM »
Here is the Finnish version of Tom Tom Tom  :)

Actually Marion has 3 home languagues: Swedish, Hebrew and Finnish, and she has citizenship of both Finland and Israel.  ;)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1189.msg31154#msg31154
Åland forever!

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 11:36:52 PM »
i love "Tipi-tii" but i'm not too fond of "Tom Tom Tom" mostly the English version is lame and it surely ain't the best finnish esc song from 1961-2005.. but Marion is great and would surely be very welcomed by me if she were to come back !

I agree - Tipi tii is absolutely adorable but Tom Tom Tom misses something in English.  Having listened to the Finnish version (thanks Niko :hug: ) I much prefer it in Finnish

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1189.msg31172#msg31172
Blue, Blue, Blue, Johnny Blue
Welche Farbe hat die Sonne?