Author Topic: LET'S RANK THE SONGS  (Read 65481 times)

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
Re: LET'S RANK THE SONGS
« Reply #200 on: September 26, 2010, 07:32:48 PM »

4 Isael | "Milim" - Harel Skaat (090 pts)
Three years in a row that Israel makes it to my top 10, Israel has made three selections with internally chosen great singers, so the outcome has always been professional performances, great if not amazing vocals, confidence, quality, and more importantly good songs. The song is where the problem mostly is. For three years in a row, the song was apparently chosen internally too, and the finale is a fake show where they twist the running orders, improve a lot the whole hosting for the 3 mns and end up with the typical song, "Masa haiyai", "Second chance" and "Le'an" should have gone to Eurovision 2008, 2009 and 2010. But surprisingly, the standard of these finales is high enough that the three chosen songs haveall been in the better half of the eurovison editions. Israel has maybe not given us a "masterpiece" lately but it has always given us strong entries (except 2006) since the semi-finale era. Now let's come to "Milim" which is definitely a nicely written song, mostly for its production which is worth of the best there is. Harel Skaat is definitely one of if not the hottest man to walk on the Oslo stage and he sang with passion his entry, making it very believable.. Too bad that the audio is stunning and the live performance definitely disappointing vocally. He can not reach these notes live, at least not with the nervous competition that eurovision is. And he should have done an "alone on stage" performance, with much more subtle light effects, to build an atmosphere that i think was missing. You really spend 3 mns thinking "gosh he is hot" and thinking "the song is nice enough" when the song is actually really strong and well written and deserve to be much better serviced. I think this explains why Israel is only 19th of televote, a very shocking result for a late running order of a great song well sung. 5th of juries, and the three Marcel Bezençon awards prove that it's an entry to remember, too bad it wasn't an entry to adore.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1203.msg35840#msg35840

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #201 on: September 26, 2010, 08:15:05 PM »

3 Serbia | "Ovo je Balkan" - Milan Stanković (091 pts)
You do need to enjoy balkan music to like this, but if you do, it hardly gets better than that musically. That's the only thing I can say. It is on the extreme end of balkan music. Someone who doesn't really like balkan music would hate it. On the other had, when Serbia hosted eurovision and Goran made the interval act, everyone went insane at how good it was sometimes better than many balkan craps eurovision has given us (but Bosnaia and truly Serbia too have always been on top). For Serbia the disappointment was huge in 2009 when they failed, unfairly, to qualify to the finale. So in order to keep the top, they brought in Goran this time for the actual competition. The finale was, musically, the best, though it's easier with ony three songs in, when Sweden had 32 (and evidently not all of them were great). Three amazing songs, the best being, no surprises, "Ovo je balkan" which was a tribute, on the verbe of mockery, of the Balkan amazing music. Take a star like Milan, who is definitely nothing but a pop idole with lots of derision and you get a top 3 entry. The people who hate esc and watched esc 2010 all had Serbia in their top 5 proving that this appealed to French people (who gave it 10pts) just like Bosia 2008, with its own balkan mocking style, reached 10pts from Sweden. Porbably because Emir Kusturica is very famous here, since he won twice the prestigious Palme d'or at Cannes international film festival, making his movies popular and the music in them, often written by Goran, very popular. People who voted Milan BD award are definitely stupid, just like they voted Ukraine in 2007. The worst outfit is the one that tries to be cool or classy and fails at it (may I suggest Ireland or Iceland) not the one that is meant to prove the song is a few degrees above normality! Definitely fun, cheeky, enjoyable, really encouraging you to follow, it's musically brilliant and the performance great. What I'd complain about it is the rather weak vocals. Not that Milan can't sing but he can't sing everything. The rap part were turned into derision way too easy, when some hardcore real good rap is something esc needs. And I think the girls were a tiny bit lazy it deserved more insanity from their part. But overall, Serbia did it once again.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1203.msg35841#msg35841

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #202 on: September 26, 2010, 08:36:16 PM »

2 Turkey | "We could be the same" - MaNga (095 pts)
funny that this gets second to eurovision and apparently second almost every where else in people's rankings. before esc, i had pu my money on it, since i couldn't see a clear winner and knowing that this would get diaspora votes in televote, jury votes for its incredible quality and some alternative vote for being punk-rock. In other words, votes from everyone enough to win. And it would have worked too, if it wasn't for the attraction to the modernity and simplicity of Germany. Only 8th with juries, who had the ridiculous turkish song last year 4th this is definitely disappointing. Manga was flawless on stage, they were who they were supposed to be. True, this song would be perfect if it was in Turkish, but they totally managed the English really well. Musically once more it's about liking this style. But though we all were glad Lordi won, they were the most poppish form of rock and definitely a disappointment for many rock lovers, so we have enjoyed the rockier entries in esc. After 2004 and 2008, Turkey has sent again the rockiest entry of the year. A true jewel for esc, a song at miles from the usual type eurovision is known for, it's a wonder to have suh entries and this is why Turkey remains one of the greatest esc countries. We only can hope they will follow this type and not the shaky entries. Rock is one way to go but I do hope Turkey can send something great in another genre. Just for the hell of it. If we get to the performance, everything has been said. It was very smart, it worked with the great lyrics. More importantly, the light work is superb, it was like a rock concert not eurovision at all. So dark, so moody, so good.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1203.msg35842#msg35842

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #203 on: September 26, 2010, 09:49:49 PM »

1 Estonia| "Siren" - Robin Jukhental (100 pts)
The only regret I can have is that he was a bit nervous in Oslo, way more than in the absolutely superb national final estonia graced us with. For two years in a row, Estonia has given us masterpieces. Music that did not care that it was Eurovision it was going to be peformed at. Music for only being music, for being entertaining, enjoyable, fun, wanting to sing with it, to think with it. Twice in a row now Estonia changed its format for "Eesti laul" chosing to perform songs for Estonians and not for european bad taste. So we have had an enchanting finale last year but a magnificient one this year, the best national finale ever. However, twice, a song was disqualified before the contest, and they saved an 11th song, "Rändajad" and "Siren" were saved, won the contest and finally triumphed. Third in my ranking last year (behind Bosnia and unbeatable France), this time it's above everything, all the way to my top 20 of all time ! Yes, "Siren" can be listened by everyone. I made people listen to Robin's album and they loved it, when i said "Eurovision" they were shocked. It's got the 80s vibe, but the good one. The one Robin listened to, used and recreated. "Siren" is both the most modern song of the contest, but because it's the best thought one. Entirely concieved, from bits to bits. I know I tend to be overly intellectual in rankings and commenting, but whether this is good or bad does not matter, it only helps explaining why this would appeal so much to me. It's smart, terribly smart, but more importantly, it's fun. Hell fun, enjoyable, derision again, just like with Serbia. The song was written, composed and performed by an artist, Robin (therefore I like to call it his song, and not Malcolm Lincoln which is the name of the duo he has with the guitarist/piani player) and in Eurovision, when was the last time we could enjoy a song entirely written and devoted to by an artist? Some names do come up (Sébastien Tellier for instance) and often they were overlooked, because they were, as we often say "too good for eurovision" but not because it's more Madonna than Abba or because it's written to win, but because it's beyond the eurovision sphere of intelligence. Estonia should continue its format and its daring songs, and promoting songs and singers. How can people neglect that Rufus Wainwright was in Oslo and he turned down everyone who wanted to be near him or talk to him, except Robin and the Estonian delegation? That says something of the actual level of Eurovision, which is in majority pure crap if it were to be heard elsewhere. Definitely, my top 5 or maybe top 6 if i include Ukraine, are the only actual songs that should make it in the music industry without Eurovision (Universal did sign Robin his first album after his win in Eesti Laul). 9th with juries of the first semi, who probably enjoyed it and saw its quality but didn't think it was eurovision enough, it came nothing but one before by televote, proving that going 3rd after Russia is no good for anyone, and definitely not something that has no great props, costume or routines. I myself still bless Eurovision that can come up with such songs, and hope for more (but after Patricia, it's twice in a row that something beyond comparison walks in Eurovision, and I am terribly hopeful for 2011, Finland, Sweden, Norway, Bosnia, France, Estonia or Turkey are the ones I'll definitely look for but I'm ready to be surprised by just anyone). However, for the two past years, only Estonia (since France and Bosnia chose internally) gives me the thrill just thinking about their next national finale !

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1203.msg35843#msg35843

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #204 on: September 26, 2010, 09:53:45 PM »

12 Estonia
10 Turkey
08 Serbia
07 Israel
06 Belgium
05 Ukraine
04 Germany
03 Finland
02 Romania
01 Denmark
-
11 Spain
12 Bosnia & Herzegovina
13 Albania
14 Cyprus
15 Sweden
16 Ireland
17 Moldova
18 France
19 Georgia
20 Slovakia
21 Russia
22 Switzerland
23 Norway
24 Iceland
25 Armenia
26 Portugal
27 Croatia
28 Azerbaijan
29 Lithuania
30 Greece
31 Malta
32 Macedonia
33 Poland
34 Netherlands
35 Belarus
36 United-Kingdom
37 Bulgaria
38 Slovenia
39 Latvia

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1203.msg35844#msg35844

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #205 on: September 27, 2010, 01:37:42 AM »
No surprise at your #1 there - even though it's a song I don't particularly like I do understand the attraction.  Also true what you said about Turkey....seems to be everyone's bridesmaid.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1203.msg35846#msg35846
Blue, Blue, Blue, Johnny Blue
Welche Farbe hat die Sonne?

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #206 on: September 27, 2010, 03:41:03 AM »
so far the forum results are as follow :
20 Turkey
14 Israel
14 Romania
12 Estonia
10 Belgium
08 Finland
08 Serbia
08 Croatia
06 Ireland
05 Ukraine
04 Germany
03 Georgia
02 Iceland
01 Denmark
01 Armenia

ps : you didnt much comment on the fact we both have israel 4th too and serbia of course.. as for estonia, id think anyone considering how great it is to have such a song should reward it top 10 !

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1203.msg35850#msg35850

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #207 on: September 27, 2010, 02:02:10 PM »
Well I've commented on Serbia and how I feel you've hugely overrated it all the way through your rankings - so nothing more to be said other than I do actually enjoy Balkan music...just not this one (or Cipela for that matter). 

Israel - we both had it 4th....and may have both had it higher had he been able to sing it better live. 

The thing with Estonia is that I can appreciate it for what it is.....but that doesn't mean I actually like it.  It's difficult to put into words exactly what it is about it that I don't really like though ???

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1203.msg35852#msg35852

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #208 on: October 04, 2010, 02:18:14 AM »
Togravus from esctoday sent me his top 10, i'm putting it here so that you guys can see it, the funny thing about Togravus is that he and i agree around 90% of the time

Here are my top 10 for 2010 (My top four change all the time, depending on the mood I am in):

1. Turkey (when I am in normal mood. This is a song I would listen to a lot outside ESC)
2. Estonia (when I am in intellectual mood or really musically focussed ...)
3. Cyprus (when I am in sing along mood / driving a car / cleaning the house ... or on warm summer days)
4. Israel (on those days when live seems rather difficult / when I am cultivating melancholy)
5. Spain
6. Sweden (ignoring the performance. Everything you wrote is correct!)
7. Germany
8. Serbia
9. Belgium
10. Ukraine

Let me add that I love all those 10 songs and that all would have been in my top 3 in a normal year which 2010 wasn't (many very good songs and many craps, very few songs to easily fill the middle of my table).

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1203.msg35885#msg35885

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #209 on: October 04, 2010, 02:23:48 AM »
....and another one with Israel 4th :scratch:

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1203.msg35887#msg35887

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #210 on: October 04, 2010, 05:28:25 AM »
wow you're up late !
yes but he said top 4 could be switch, he and i almost had the same 2, it would have been funny if turkey was his second and israel his 4th

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1203.msg35888#msg35888

Offline LifeAfterLove

• De Troubadour
« Reply #211 on: September 03, 2013, 01:47:45 AM »
Ok, so this is where I was before.
I spent half an hr ranking the songs. Not gonna do that now, in case it goes walkies again. Plus if the original post shows up and didn't match my new attempt, I'd look like a fool.
The gist (jist ? sp? ) of it was, that I placed Germany in 39th place, and Belgium 1st.
Oh and I remember being impressed that someone would have Estonia as their #1 (Hi Martial). He was my 10th choice (Malcom Lincoln for Estonia , that is, not Martial).

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1203.msg44430#msg44430