Author Topic: ESC 2010 - Semi-final 1  (Read 18907 times)

Offline Relyana

• Webmaster
    • Eurovision Forum | ESC Vibes
Re: ESC 2010 - Semi-final 1
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2010, 11:12:56 PM »
Belarus - kind of too ... Disney-ish for my taste. Even the girls looked like Tooth Fairy. Definitely a good song I wouldn't listen to again.  :shrug:

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1308.msg34082#msg34082
Sometimes I'm good but when I'm bad I'm even better

Offline Relyana

• Webmaster
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2010, 11:16:33 PM »
Iceland - damn, it's so ... Eurovisionish  :D I wouldn't mind listening to this song once again in a few days.  :P

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1308.msg34083#msg34083

Offline rapsodia

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2010, 11:22:57 PM »
My final ranking:

1. Belgium
2. Iceland
3. Finland
4. Albania
5. Slovakia
6. Serbia
7. Estonia
8. Greece
9. Bosnia & Herzegovina
10. Malta
11. Latvia
12. Portugal
13. Macedonia
14. Belarus
15. Poland
16. Russia
17. Moldova

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1308.msg34084#msg34084

Offline Relyana

• Webmaster
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2010, 11:29:35 PM »
I wouldn't mind to see Moldova, Estonia, Finland, Serbia, Belgium, Malta, Albania and Iceland qualifying. I'm disappointed by the low quality of the shows. Is that all they can do?  :o

There's no secret that the best songs are yet to come (semi 2) ... seems that the economic crisis takes its toll this year so to speak.  ::)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1308.msg34085#msg34085

Offline Relyana

• Webmaster
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2010, 11:56:34 PM »
10 for the Final:

Bosnia and Herzegovina
Moldova
Russia
Greece
Portugal
Belarus
Serbia
Belgium
Albania
Iceland

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1308.msg34086#msg34086

Offline rapsodia

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2010, 12:00:32 AM »
Finland, Slovakia and Moldova were robbed!  :talktothehand:

And now it's official that Russia will be in each and every final from now on no matter what song they send.

(Probably it's the same for some other countries too, including Turkey  :-[)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1308.msg34087#msg34087

Offline Relyana

• Webmaster
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2010, 12:37:34 AM »
Moldova is in the Final. I'm very sorry for Finland.  :(

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1308.msg34088#msg34088

Offline rapsodia

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2010, 01:11:01 AM »
Finland, Slovakia and Moldova were robbed!  :talktothehand:

And now it's official that Russia will be in each and every final from now on no matter what song they send.

(Probably it's the same for some other countries too, including Turkey  :-[)

Oops, ı meant Malta.  :-[

Moldova totally overrated.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1308.msg34089#msg34089

Offline Gerly

• Rock'N'Roll Kid
    • Dima Bilan
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2010, 07:33:43 AM »
My favourite Greece can go to final, but my nr 2 Slovakia don't and thats really sad. Slovakia had to be Top 3 of Semifinal winners :D

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1308.msg34090#msg34090

Offline Gerly

• Rock'N'Roll Kid
    • Dima Bilan
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2010, 07:34:44 AM »
..about Estonia
I'm happy honestly that we didn't make to Final. Because Final last or near to that place should be very embarrassing

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1308.msg34091#msg34091

Offline Karel

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2010, 09:45:03 AM »
Yesss, Tommetje did it! Belgium in the final!   :goodjob:   :hi5:

It feels like I'm dreaming. This morning I checked if I was awake or not  :D

I feel sorry for Finland. They really deserved to qualify...  :hug:

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1308.msg34093#msg34093

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2010, 10:37:08 AM »
Well we waited over 12 months for THAT :doh:.  Seriously it was always going to be the weaker semi but seriously it was so disappointing watching it.  A quick review of the performances from my perspective

1. MOLDOVA - first song of the contest and I think the Barbara Dex award is already won - what WAS Olia wearing.  Vocally she was good...but he let it down for me.  Deserved to qualify in a poor field

2. RUSSIA - a real depressing dirge and I hate his voice.  The fact it qualified is no surprise but going on song quality it should never have come close IMO

3. ESTONIA - Never did see the attraction to this song.  The performance kinda left me cold so no surprise it didn't qualify for me.

4. SLOVAKIA - Such a good song but the live just didn't work at all for me....which is a shame.  Challenges Olia for Barbara Dex award :doh:

5. FINLAND - ROBBED!!!!!! Such a cute and catchy song and a decent performance of it.  I'm still surprised it didn't qualify

6. LATVIA - I like the song but she just didn't deliver....vocally possibly the worst of the night.

7.SERBIA - An absolute mess - you decide whether I mean the song, Milan or both :shrug:.  For me it's the worst song in the contest.

8. BOSNIA & HERZEGOVINA - still disappointed in this entry considering the quality of recent Bosnian entries.  Decent performance and the fact it was the rockiest entry on show probably helped

9. POLAND - weird - not a lot else to say really :shrug:

10. BELGIUM - slightly nervy performance but it is a nice song and after Messy, Rocky & Weirdy it really stood out.  Very pleased to see it qualify

11. MALTA - perfect vocals from Thea...but not quite sure what the bird thing was all about ???.  Should've qualified

12. ALBANIA - polished performance from Juliana.  Deserved it's place in the final

13. GREECE - annoyingly catchy...but let's face it they could've stood there in complete silence for 3 minutes and still qualified

14. PORTUGAL - the surprise of the night....the fact it qualified is still a shock considering the song is rather insipid and she shrieked for large parts of it.

15. MACEDONIA - really don't remember anything about it...and had forgotten it before Belarus started singing :doh:

16. BELARUS - The song is sweet to the point of causing a diabetic coma....and the guy who sings first has a horribly annoying voice.  The harmonies didn't work to start with but improved later.  The butterfly wings were effective though

17. ICELAND - No surprise that Hera was vocally perfect.  Typical europop song that was very well performed.  For me the best was saved until last

MY PREFERENCE
1. ICELAND
2. FINLAND
3. MALTA
4. BELGIUM
5. ALBANIA
6. BOSNIA & HERZEGOVINA
7. SLOVAKIA
8. MOLDOVA
9. BELARUS
10. PORTUGAL
11. ESTONIA
12. LATVIA
13. GREECE
14. POLAND
15. MACEDONIA
16. RUSSIA
17. SERBIA

Hoping 2nd semi will be much better

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1308.msg34094#msg34094
Blue, Blue, Blue, Johnny Blue
Welche Farbe hat die Sonne?

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2010, 10:40:59 AM »
WHERE THE QUALIFIERS WILL SING IN THE FINAL

4. MOLDOVA
6. BOSNIA & HERZEGOVINA
7. BELGIUM
8. SERBIA
9. BELARUS
11. GREECE
15. ALBANIA
16. ICELAND
20. RUSSIA
23. PORTUGAL

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1308.msg34095#msg34095
Blue, Blue, Blue, Johnny Blue
Welche Farbe hat die Sonne?

Offline Lonter

• In The Disco
  • No rhyme that rhymes with living...
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2010, 11:02:09 AM »
Wow, that semifinal sucked.

Let's make this quickly, EVERYONE but Macedonia was incredibly and blatantly robbed, SPECIALLY Malta.

As for the qualifiers:

Belgium & Portugal: Great job for the both of them, they both were very obvious qualifiers after their performances and definitely deserve their place.
Albania & Iceland: Weaker performances than expected, definitely, but still good enough.

--- From here below they shouldn't have qualified --

Bosnia: The song was presented with class, yet the song itself is completely devoid of any emotion whatsoever, it lacks energy.
Moldova: Song is too repetitive, his vocals were average-ish, they did have a strong moment in the firsts few seconds of the song with the rotating violinist gimmick which looked great on camera.
Serbia: Terrible sound, probably mainly due to the female backing vocal, and terrible, terrible... well, let's just leave it at terrible.
Greece: Weak, soooooo weak, average voice, weak choreography (that one surprised me, the arm movements weren't polished nor eye catching, the movements were so so, etc) weak, annoying song, etc.
Russia: Let's just say they did the best they could with the composition. The thing is, everything's still quite poor and was a true WTF moment, if it weren't for
Belarus: W T F. Most undeserved qualifier this semi by far. That sucked.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1308.msg34096#msg34096
Don't stop yourself, don't kill yourself
It's only a way of delaying ourselves...

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2010, 06:35:07 PM »
First I want to say that I'm happy that Portugal, Albania and Belgium qualified.  :heart:

But I'm really disappointed that Finland and Slovakia didn't qualify. Especially Finland, probably one of the cutest performances and loveliest songs ever.  :cry: :cry: :cry:

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1308.msg34105#msg34105
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
Psalm 23:4

Offline Bree

• De Troubadour
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2010, 07:31:47 PM »
I am finding myself in practically complete agreement with Lonter.  :ohmy:

well maybe not the malta part. :P  :biggrin:

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1308.msg34107#msg34107

Offline Niko

• Escvibes Friend
  • fan of Arlene Francis
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2010, 07:45:13 PM »
Thank you everyone for saying that Finland should have qualified.  :grouphug: Anyway, it didn't and it makes me really really sad.  :cry: I think I have never been this much upset after eurovision final/semifinal results.  :cry1:

I mean, what's the point for Finland to keep on joining ESC year after year, humiliation after humiliation. If we are honest, the Finnish history in ESC has been very bad nearly all the time. If we forget the monster victory in 2006 - which victory was due to the performance and not the song itself - the best placing for Finland was in the "Jurassic Period" of Eurovision Song Contest in 1973, when Marion became 6th.  :o

So, what's the point to continue in ESC. :shrug:  I am just asking!  :(

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1308.msg34108#msg34108
Åland forever!

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2010, 08:21:45 PM »
I'm really sorry for you, Niko.  :(

I'm very disappointed too and I totally understand why you are asking yourself why Finland should continue.

But it would be very sad if Finland would leave the contest. I think that we have to accept the results. It's all in the game and we must not forget that the EBU is trying to make the results more fair by bringing back the juries.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1308.msg34110#msg34110
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
Psalm 23:4

Offline Niko

• Escvibes Friend
  • fan of Arlene Francis
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2010, 08:57:29 PM »
Thank you Remy for your kind words. I think you understand my words because you are from The Netherlands and there is also lots of time  when your song did well.  :-[

Anyway, I would accept this very well if our song had been bad, if our lovely, joyful singers had sung out of tune, if one of them had fallen, forgotten the lyrics or done something else like that. But no.  :( The song was good, the performance was the best Finnish performance for ages and everything went well.  :(

I won't complain anymore after this,  Good luck to all 10 qualifiers.  :goodjob:

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1308.msg34112#msg34112
Åland forever!

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2010, 09:44:01 PM »
Well I watched the first semi-final last night and I have mixed feelings about the results. So I’ll start with the easiest stuff. First of all, don’t you think it’s going to be Brussels 2011?

Moscow 2009 was without a doubt a marvellous show but Olso 2010 almost put it to shame (well, almost) : not that the show is better technically but it is very impressive to see it is as good with much less money. It’s more creative, more entertaining, looks amazing. The stage is much smaller but it looks good and it gives a really nice impression on camera. The lightning and all is not like Moscow where each song had a huge scenery (almost too much with Iceland’s dolphin) but the simple light, drapes and balls managed to create 17 different lives and will probably provide 17+5 more for the next shows. The hosts were funny but not insulting, boring, too pop-culture… And it is only a semi-finale, we all know it’s always getting better towards the final (for once the French speaking part is flawless, reminds me of Ireland 95 host). The postcards is maybe the only place where Moscow can hold the comparison : their postcards were very modern, simple and strongly effective. I’m less convinced about the idea of seeing a group of people hugging in front of a famous place from the country and if the flags look good, the shape of the countries look really bad (most countries look like a big mass of nothingness).

Now to get into the songs. Well, the level of the year is better than what we would expect (and as everyone enjoys to recall, semi-finale 2 is stronger overall) : mostly vocally, many singers pulled it off and that was enjoyable (even some crappy songs were well sung and that’s rare in esc world). The big variety of songs is also notable : a few years ago the same pop craps would follow each other but this year we do get a nice shift in styles and semi-finale 1 was specially good for that. The shows were often creative without being too circus freak as some shows were in the past. It gave an impression of real professionals and not a big National Idol amateurs show we used to have.

But for the results it sounds like i should be happy with 7 out of 10 qualifiers (the other 3 are ranked 11th, 12th and 16th). But my favorite of the whole year, for the first time ever, will not be in the finale and that’s a shock (but i knew it was coming). The sad part is that there are almost no surprises anymore (I had figured out the three left when three were left and had guessed 9 out of 10 I didn’t see Belarus instead of Finland, one of the big and only shock of the night).

[i had to cut my message it was too long]

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1308.msg34113#msg34113

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2010, 09:45:37 PM »
[and now the analysis]

1. Estonia (did not qualify) 10/10
It is the best song of the year, and the best song for many years in eurovision (it’s better than “Et s’il fallait le faire”) so I was very nervous for it : apparently so was he. The usual excellent show he does was still there but he was at first a bit too nervous and apparently people noticed. I knew as soon as I saw Russia qualifying that it wouldn’t make it (though I hoped until the end). Only juries could have made it a qualifier but they went for Russia instead, now who said esc was not political and based on money? Not to mention diaspora votings still very strong in televotes and definitely better for Russia than for Estonia. This is still the most impressive song in eurovision. A non-eurovision well thought-out entry that puts all the europop to shame.

2. Serbia (qualified) 9,1/10
If the fun but amateurish “cipela” managed to get 12 from the French televoting last year, the excellent “Ovo je balkan” by non other than Goran Bregovic who is very popular here should have done the same (and I’m quite sure French juries would love it and I expect it to get 12 if Tom Dice does not get it Saturday). Milan’s hair is quite bad but it’s unique and something everyone would remember : in esc that matters so much. The live did lack some power elements one could expect (after all, this IS the balkans) and yet it was hell fun and he definitely appeared as enjoying it every second and that also helps selling the entry. Overall, the “gay” straight young man is very popular in pop culture and he plays this card very well, with one of the very very best songs of the year I expect Serbia to be back in the top to save the final results.

3. Belgium (qualified) 8,7/10
No surprises there : as everyone the song sounded good to me and the live was perfect. He did what he had to do. The song is simple, strong and effective and he has a very good voice to sell. So he did what he had to do and what is a great but a bit boring song comes very well and the 3 mns even feel short. After all the years Flanders were disappointed by being among the favorites and failing to make it (Xandee in 2004, Kate Ryan in 2006 and the funky Ishtar in 2008) this looks like not only the best result by far for Belgium since the so close runner-up place in 2003 but definitely and by far the best result ever for Flanders. I can only see Germany, Sweden and Israel to stop it from winning with Greece, Serbia and a few others to play the middle part.

4. Finland (did not qualify) 6,7/10
Now the surprise of the night, with such a fun show (and not at all messy as I thought it would be from the rehearsals) I thought Finland could get another high result and definitely a 5th year in a row in the finale. But there is always a song that everyone and I do mean everyone likes and yet that gets no votes because no one loved it enough (a good example of that is France 2000) and this was Finland this time. Let’s hope it won’t stop Finland having their amazing national finals and songs in Finnish there. The nice little song came off very well with what seemed a simple and very enjoyable show. Too bad it lakced sparks enough for people to vote but with the juries voting for Waldo People’s last year and saving Finland, I thought it would happen still : first year in a long time that not all of the 4 nordic countries will be in the finale.

5. Bosnia & Herzegovina (qualified) 5/10
I always loved the Bosnian entries (and said so a million times). After the 2005 huge mistake, Bosnia came stronger than ever and gave us the best entry of the decade. Since then, never a flaw and always in my top 5. Of course I had great expectations and the entry did not meet them : it’s a nice rock entry without the sparks. His great voice gets a bit lost in the English language. The guitar bit is a bit forgetful : but Bosnia remains Bosnia and they made a big live to save their entry. Once more Bosnia made it to the finale and even if I don’t expect them to continue their climbing up (11th in 2007, 10th in 2008 and 9th in 2009) it will stay as one of the songs to not hate nor love of the year. Serbia will definitely be the highest ranked balkan country but this can come second.

6. Albania (qualified) 4,9/10
I kept thinking the same thing throughout the performance : how perfect, too bad the song is a crap ! Seriously, the song is not that bad but it’s a boring irrelevant europop that only has electro elements to try to save it. With the horrible performance of a very similar song Albania managed to qualify so of course someone like Juliana would too. Apart from Robin and Tom, Julianna is the only woman to have made a perfect performance all throughout. The right smiles at the right time, the right amount of power at the right time and more importantly, without moving an inch on the stage. It’s the proof we don’t need to shake it all over or to have a huge stage to make a perfect live for an upbeat song. It reminds me of the first Charlotte, when she won with a similar live (and the pink as well!) Seriously, if Albania had a stronger song this could go all the way. Now it will do something like Iceland 2008 probably.

7. Moldova (qualified) 4,4/10
I liked Sun Stroke Project a lot last year but with Olia Tira I thought it was a letdown. And it is, musically. But livewise they were enjoyable. How short the 3 minutes felt, especially for a first entry of the year (twice Montenegro with upbeat entries failed at this). Definitely one to look out for, I wouldn’t be that surprised to see Moldova reaching the top 10 a third time even if I wouldn’t put my money yet on it. The draw is good, another early one but after two ballads this time (or at least slower entry). Anyway I was mostly surprised at how good Olia sounded after all those rehearsals and even the national finals performance were she was just bad. But she tried hard and without being perfect, she did save it. Then Sun Stroke Project just did what they know how to and it was good to go. A bad song, quite bad, but a real surprise live. After two good entries in esc, Moldova continues to climb in my esc esteem.

8. Russia (qualified) 4,3/10
I was one of the very rare ones to defend it as a song. I still will but unlike Moldova, I was highly disappointed by the live. Why when it was the same one than in the national final? Maybe but the importance of esc makes me see it differently. In a rather good russian national final, Peter was not the best at all but the overall results were disappointing and he was mong the best ones of the top. The song audio wise is fine but the kitschy “I look at your photo” was hilariously bad. The juries did help it and with the diaspora televotes, I don’t think Russia will ever miss a finale anymore, like Greece, Ukraine, Turkey, Armenia or Azerbaijan. That is somehow disappointing.

9. Slovakia (did not qualify) 4,1/10
I knew this one would not make it and frankly I don’t care that much. It’s hard to explain everything going on there. It’s a bad song and a terrible horrible live that just killed it. It’s a nice not too schalger entry that many esc fans love but I knew it had no chance. The reason I am sad is that Slovakia tries really hard and twice in a row now had an amazing national final but they kept chosing the wrong song and never made it to the esc finale. Will they join Czech Republic and withdraw again from the competition? Maybe and I’d be disappointed but this was by far the worse slovakian entry ever (I have Slovakia 4th for 94, 96 and 98 and 11th last year, this is the first time in five entries that I don’t have Slovakia above 5/10).

10. Iceland (qualified) 3,5/10
Seriously? She did a terrible live. When you sing the biggest schlager pop entry of the year, you have to make it big and I don’t mean like the second Charlotte but I mean like Ani Lorak. Charlotte with Ani’s live would have won in 2008. I know that Hera is not the same physically and she can’t play the hot girl. But she doesn’t play any other cards so it ends up being rather bad : the moves are slow, heavy and they don’t go anywhere. The dresses are all bad just like last year. Iceland wants to do well without winning but this year this is definitely going to end up between 15th and last and no higher. We all know the juries saved Charlotte in 2008 and probably will save Iceland this year (like they did Denmark last year) but there are no chances for the top 10. Still, there are songs that are much worse so habing it 10th in my list is definitely reasonable. It should be in the finale after all.

[still had to cut.. do something about this rely, i make long thoughtful comments]

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1308.msg34114#msg34114

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2010, 09:46:00 PM »
11. Portugal (qualified) 3/10
Now it comes for songs I think should not have made it. As for Portugal it is less obvious, I have it around Iceland so I’m not mad at all. She is very cute and tried so hard that I think it should go forward. Especially with the Portuguese who wanted a big crap instead in televoting, I’m glad the juries’ song went through in the finale as well. She was one of the best dressed and she did make a big live but I never bought it. I thought it was overdone, a bit too clichéd. Nevertheless for the vocals she was rather nice when a few months ago I said she would never make it, so that was a good surprise. But honnestly, after 2 minutes I was bored of it and thought it would not go anywhere. It did go to the finale, now let’s see. I’d be surprised if it would end up higher than 18th though.

12. Greece (qualified) 1,8/10
This one is not a surprise and seeing “Opa” outside of the top 10 would surprise me actually. This is a terrible song, everything I hate and vocally it was one of the weakest of the night. But I was glad he dropped the typical black leather for some white, which worked really well. The live was not messy and felt both simple and really thought out so of course that’s good for them in their hopes to reach the top. I can’t be mad it qualified I knew it would and I’m resigned that in esc a song like this will always do well. I’d reworked on the bridge part though it feels irrelevant and Helena who is the only one who gave such entries a victory did not bother trying to be something she wasn’t and sold her entry very simply.

13. Macedonia (did not qualify) 1,7/10
It’s an ok song with ok everything. Lyrics, vocals, everything was in place but it never took. Everything felt too much, the rap was out of place, the naked girls totally irrelevant and in the end it was just a lot of noise and lights for nothing. After being twice 10th in televote but removed by the juries, I think Macedonia finally deserved to be out of the finale for once and I wouldn’t be that surprised if they came last. Too bad, the macedonian national finale was nice and this one did deserve to go through they just killed it live.

14. Malta (did not qualify) 1,6/10
Vocally she was perfect and did do the little smiles just as we would expect. The live was horrible when it came to the bird but everything else, the backing singers, the light effects, everything was in order and with a pure voice, it’s a shame it was messed up by a very ugly bird that scares me more than anything. Clichéd, silly, childlish, that could not help a ballad that was already very disney like. In the ballad battle, Portugal felt mature and like a woman, I know id prefer her over Thea to sing to me. No surprises to see Malta out, only Chiara can sell the disney ballads. Let’s hope Chiara’s excellency can next year serve a good song for once.

15. Poland (did not qualify) 1,4/10
What a joy to see this one out. It was the typical folk entry but everything about it was very false. I can’t believe it, the polish national final was great but Pin withdrew and OGAE Poland did everything to make “Legenda” participate and then we all know it won by a landslide. It’s good that it did not go through, so that people think twice about the clichéd crap. The live was a mess, typically bad, the apples and all the christian motif felt unnatural and the tearing of clothes was just to make sure the last people who wanted to vote for it wouldn’t. Even the vocals which were supposed to be strong weren’t that much. It’s not a horror but everything about it is bad.

16. Belarus (qualified) 1/10
Please anyone explain it to me. How can a bad euroballad with AWFUL fake butterfly wings make it through? Oh right, juries from eastern europe.. I am so sure they saved this piece of junk instead of Estonia! But what a mistake! Musically this is the most insulting choice of the semifinale. I truly hope this comes last in the finale and can’t say much more except that the first guy to sing is cute and the second guy can sing. Everything else is bad.

17. Latvia (did not qualify) 0,5/10
The French commentators said it was vocally the worse of the night and they were right. She got it all wrong. You can’t pretend to sing about god in very short clothes and with a backing singer who has chains for a necklace. When I first heard it I thought it was above the euroschlager pop with more R’n’b feelings. Trust Aisha to kill it every single second. The latvian finale was not up the estonian level but a few entries did shine through and Dons who came second was vocally amazing (and as cute as Robin). But “My religion is freedom” against “Only god knows why” had no chances, thank god Christian people who watch esc prefer watching good music in esc than voting for a cheap entry. A huge mistake for Latvia. Are they last again, like last year? Maybe..

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1308.msg34115#msg34115

Offline Gerly

• Rock'N'Roll Kid
    • Dima Bilan
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2010, 09:48:27 PM »
Thank you everyone for saying that Finland should have qualified.  :grouphug: Anyway, it didn't and it makes me really really sad.  :cry: I think I have never been this much upset after eurovision final/semifinal results.  :cry1:

I mean, what's the point for Finland to keep on joining ESC year after year, humiliation after humiliation. If we are honest, the Finnish history in ESC has been very bad nearly all the time. If we forget the monster victory in 2006 - which victory was due to the performance and not the song itself - the best placing for Finland was in the "Jurassic Period" of Eurovision Song Contest in 1973, when Marion became 6th.  :o

So, what's the point to continue in ESC. :shrug:  I am just asking!  :(

I'm same with Estonia. In National Finals have great songs, but people choose the worst. If not to read 2009 year Rändajad. What was the best. We haven't got ever in Final, if we don't look about 2009. It was just so miracle year. Only thing what for me is good about Estonia take part in Eurovision is that we can vote.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1308.msg34116#msg34116

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2010, 09:53:01 PM »
once more estonian people chose a SONG and not the "worst" one at all in eesti laul  :ohmy:
this is shocking that anyone can think otherwise.. next to things like "Horehronie" are cute little noise next to it

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1308.msg34117#msg34117

Offline Gerly

• Rock'N'Roll Kid
    • Dima Bilan
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2010, 09:57:45 PM »
[and now the analysis]

9. Slovakia (did not qualify) 4,1/10
10. Iceland (qualified) 3,5/10

About Slovakia... I don't very agree with that. Only that live didn't go very good. But sure its taste question. I like that song much and the performance was good. But unfortunately that camera work didn't show that power of performance as we or I saw it in Slovakia National Final.

About Iceland
I agree with that clothes and "dance moves" thing. They should move a little more. And that dress what Hera had just looked very bad. But Live was for me ok.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1308.msg34122#msg34122