Author Topic: ESC 2010 - Semi-final 2  (Read 13054 times)

Offline Relyana

• Webmaster
    • Eurovision Forum | ESC Vibes
Re: ESC 2010 - Semi-final 2
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2010, 11:58:50 PM »
Our 10 finalists are:

Georgia
Ukraine
Turkey
Israel
Ireland
Azerbaijan
Romania
Armenia
Denmark

I was never so nervous in my life!  :-[  Good luck everyone!

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1318.msg34174#msg34174
Sometimes I'm good but when I'm bad I'm even better

Offline My Star

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2010, 12:09:30 AM »
I'm delighted for Niamh :D great performance

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1318.msg34175#msg34175

Offline Taisykis

• Mysterious Newbie
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2010, 12:13:28 AM »
Seriously... Lithuania didn't pass... Lol even Israel did (with a performance way way below :doh: ) same goes for a few other songs that passed... The results were awkward on some points... Also can't believe turkey passed... That was just about avarage if that... Oh well... You can't always expect to know what's going to happen... Too bad that the quality of the song and performance is a very small factor in deciding a finalist or winner...

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1318.msg34176#msg34176

Offline rapsodia

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2010, 12:16:41 AM »
I'm so sad for Croatia. Even if I was never a fan of the song Sweden was robbed too. Denmark and Cyprus didn't deserve to qualify at all.  ^-^

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1318.msg34177#msg34177

Offline Relyana

• Webmaster
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2010, 12:19:19 AM »
Well .... countries like Israel, Greece, Turkey, Russia will always qualify for the Final. There's no surprise when it comes to them.  :)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1318.msg34178#msg34178

Offline Taisykis

• Mysterious Newbie
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2010, 12:30:58 AM »
I beg to differ on some acounts. Croatia didn't stand out too much (actually Croatia and Georgia had an absolutely similar feeling to them and watching all that got monotonic...)

However Netherlands is another country that could have past.

Indeed Israel and Turkey don't pass as much because they have good perfomances, but because you can find them in any other country (the majority of the minorities you can say).

Then again Azerbaijan was quite the suprise as well... Didn't find the performance all that good as well... I found Slovenia to be better (though not as good as to become finalists but just barely shy)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1318.msg34180#msg34180

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2010, 02:50:40 AM »
Absolutely gutted that my favourite song of the year - Croatia - didn't get through :(....absolutely over the moon that the seriously dull song from Sweden didn't get through....absolutely astonished that the mess from Ukraine got through.  Full review tomorrow :)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1318.msg34181#msg34181
Blue, Blue, Blue, Johnny Blue
Welche Farbe hat die Sonne?

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2010, 02:54:29 AM »
Where Semi 2 qualifiers will perform in Saturday's final

1. Azerbaijan
5. Cyprus
10. Ireland
13. Georgia
14. Turkey
17. Ukraine
19. Romania
21. Armenia
24. Israel
25. Denmark

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1318.msg34183#msg34183

Offline bURN

• Burned
  • Local Moderator
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2010, 03:36:37 AM »
My predict  :P

1. Denmark
2. Sweden
3 . Ukraine
4. Turkey
5. Israel  ::)
6 Romania
7 Ireland
8 Azerbaijan
9 Bulgaria
10 Georgia

I was off only by one . Thank You Bulgaria  ::)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1318.msg34184#msg34184
But one day the old lovers long for more
 Dreams and desires of another youth
And they leave their families, betray their friends
 They don't want advice about how to be happy

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2010, 10:46:22 AM »
Interesting semi-final, but I'm disappointed that Croatia, Bulgaria, Sweden and The Netherlands didn't qualify.  :shrug:

However, I love the wonderful Niamh Kavanagh from Ireland and I happy that she qualified for the final.  :heart: :heart: :heart:
Romania, Ukraine and Denmark were awesome too!
Azerbaijan and Armenia are overrated imo, but these countries will always qualify for the final with televoting.
And I expected much more from Israel. It's a decent song, but it missed something.

I was pleasantly surprised by the performance of Sieneke. It was much better than I thought it would be.  :goodjob:
I was hoping for a place in the final for the first time in 6 years, but it just didn't happen (does The Netherlands have a negative record now?).

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the final. I hope that Germany, Romania, Albania, Ukraine, Portugal, Ireland or Belgium will win this contest!!!

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1318.msg34186#msg34186
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
Psalm 23:4

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2010, 11:44:05 AM »
I was off only by one . Thank You Bulgaria  ::)

Errrm - Sweden didn't qualify either so you were out by 2 :mosking:

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1318.msg34189#msg34189

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2010, 12:02:59 PM »
Review as promised....still gutted at Croatia going out but will try to be objective

1. LITHUANIA - I said before that they needed an LT Utd type performance to stand a chance and what we got was a performance with cheap 80s gimmicks and ripping their trousers off :doh: - doomed.

2. ARMENIA - Vocally Eva wasn't too bad and performance was OK....but it lacked a certain spark that made it a contender.  Always going to qualify so it didn't matter too much

3. ISRAEL - The first part of the song was OK vocally and then he lost it completely.  The performance was all rather static too.  Considering it's such an expressive song there was a lack of expressiveness from Harel :(.

4. DENMARK - Never liked the song and nothing in their performance changed my view.  It's still nothing but an annoying chorus and I still don't like Chanée's voice...still they must be over the moon at being drawn last in Saturday's final.

5. SWITZERLAND - I still like the song but it was always going to be one of those songs that people "like but not enough to vote for".  The performance was OK

6. SWEDEN - Dull song for me and an uninspiring performance.  I hoped (but seriously didn't expect) this not to qualify

7. AZERBAIJAN - SHE CAN'T SING :irked:.  Nothing more to say

8. UKRAINE - Vocally she was very good indeed - if you consider the style of the song.  However the song itself is absolutely horrible.

9. NETHERLANDS - Sieneke gave a very good performance but a song as dated as this (no matter how cheery it is) was never going to qualify :(

10. ROMANIA - Loved the double sided piano.  I thought Ovi started slightly off but regained it.  Paula was magnificent - especially the really high parts in the middle of the song.  Thoroughly deserved qualification and I think it's a dark horse for the final.

11. SLOVENIA - yuk.  A complete and utter mess of a song that seemed to last about 3 hours instead of 3 minutes :doh:

12. IRELAND - She wasn't 100% on the money vocally - but she was certainly good enough. 

13. BULGARIA - Miro reminded me of Kenan Dogulu (Tur 07) with his incessant smiling.  I must say though that this surprised me.  It was pretty well performed.

14. CYPRUS - Still don't get why this is so popular amongst the ESC Fans ??? Sure it's pleasant but nothing more.  Performance was an improvement from NF but still nothing spectacular

15. CROATIA - I was worried about their performance but they delivered a competent but not spectacular vocal performance.  I still can't quite believe they didn't qualify though.  First time my #1 has gone out at the Semi-Final stage :(

16. GEORGIA - Wow - she's improved a lot vocally.  A very good vocal

17. TURKEY - :o - absolutely FABULOUS performance...by far the best of the 2 semis IMO

MY PREFERENCE
1. Turkey
2. Croatia
3. Ireland
4. Georgia
5. Israel
6. Romania
7. Bulgaria
8. Armenia
9. Cyprus
10. Switzerland
11. Netherlands
12. Lithuania
13. Denmark
14. Sweden
15. Azerbaijan
16. Ukraine
17. Slovenia

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1318.msg34190#msg34190

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2010, 06:18:34 PM »
My ranking for this semi-final:

01. Romania
02. Ireland
03. Croatia
04. Ukraine
05. Netherlands
06. Sweden
07. Switzerland
08. Denmark
09. Bulgaria
10. Turkey
11. Georgia
12. Israel
13. Armenia
14. Cyrpus
15. Slovenia
16. Azerbaijan
17. Lithuania

I think that most of you don't agree with my ranking.  :P  Five countries in my top 10 didn't qualify for the final.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1318.msg34195#msg34195
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

Offline Niko

• Escvibes Friend
  • fan of Arlene Francis
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2010, 07:17:16 PM »
I decided to watch the semifinal 2 together with my mother and of course we did our own ranking, We gave every song points from 1 to 10 and this is what happened. It was the first time when my mother heard the songs.

1st: The Netherlands. Mother: Oh what a cute song  and her voice is so clear and the performance is so relaxing. My mother gave it 9 + and I gave it 10, so points together 19+.

2nd: Ireland. My mother: What a lovely lovely voice, just like in 1993. But I liked her hairstyle more back then. Our points 10  + 9 = 19 pts.

3rd: Israel. Mother: A really good song, a really handsome singer, everything is so good, but he should try to sing it a little bit better. Our points: 9 + 9 = 18 pts.

4th: Turkey. Mother: I usually don't like rock, but those guys can sing and also the song is very good. Our points: 8½ + 8 ½ = 17 pts.

5th: Romania. Mother: Is that Cat Woman from Batman singing behind the piano? Oh my God, what a great voice she has! You can hear that she has taken lessons in classical singing. Our votes: 9 + 7 ½ = 16,5 pts.

6th: Cyprus. Mother: The singer can't be a Cypriot - I am sure he is from Wales or England. Oh from Wales. Why is he not singing for UK then? Quite a nice song but nothing Cypriot in that song. Our votes: 7 + 8½ = 15,5 pts.

7th: Slovenia. Mother: What a funny song and so different from other songs. And both the folk and rock singers can sing! I wonder if they have done any other songs together. Our votes: 8 + 7 ½ = 15,5 pts.

8th: Denmark.
Mother: This if what is a very usual ESC song - but not a bad one! But their chemistry seems not to be the best possible one. N'evergreen is good looking!
Our votes: 8, 25 + 7 = 15,25

9th: Armenia. Mother: What a huge woman. Look at her arms and fingers! The song is ok, maybe a little bit boring yet nice. Our votes: 7 + 7½ = 14,5 pts.

10th: Switzerland.
Mother: Hmmm, a song in French, finally! A nice costume he has and his voice is not very bad, but the performance is a little bit too chaotic. Our votes: 7 + 7 = 14.

11th: Croatia. Mother: I think they have the same stylist than CatCat had back in 1994 - or they had to come so quickly from the green room that they have only their underwears on them. And each one of them is trying to be the star nr 1. But their voices are not very bad. Our votes: 7 + 6 = 13 pts.

12th: Sweden. Mother: Maybe we finally see the day when Sweden will not be in the final. That sweet girl is destroying the song with her nasal voice and a little bit too big vibrato. The guitarr is too big for her. Why does she have sneakers? Our votes: 6 + 6 = 12 pts.

13th: Georgia. Mother: Too much walking, too much playing. She should only sing. Our votes:     5 ½ + 5 = 10, 5.

14th: Lithuania. Mother: What   a beginning to this contest. Such a bad song. Ooooohhhh, Niko, now they have only their boxers, this is getting very exciting! Which one of the guys do you like most?  Our votes: 5 + 5 = 10

15th: Ukraine.
Mother: She has a nice voice and she is performing it quite well, but the dress is awful and she is screaming absolutely too much. Our votes: 4 + 4 = 8 pts.

16th: Bulgaria.
Mother: I would not like to be the angel he is singing about. And his voice is not good. Our votes: 3 + 4 = 7 pts.

17th: Azerbaidjan. Mother: What a total nightmare! I go to boil some more water. Our votes: 1 + 2 = 3 pts.

That was our voting around the tea table, my mother sitting on a sofa and I on a rocking chair. We had tea with sandwiches and small cakes.  :) 

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1318.msg34196#msg34196
Åland forever!

Offline Relyana

• Webmaster
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2010, 07:22:57 PM »
That was fun to read Niko!  :laugh: Thanks for sharing!  :hug:

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1318.msg34197#msg34197

Offline Karel

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2010, 07:31:06 PM »
I decided to watch the semifinal 2 together with my mother and of course we did our own ranking, We gave every song points from 1 to 10 and this is what happened. It was the first time when my mother heard the songs.

1st: The Netherlands. Mother: Oh what a cute song  and her voice is so clear and the performance is so relaxing. My mother gave it 9 + and I gave it 10, so points together 19+.

2nd: Ireland. My mother: What a lovely lovely voice, just like in 1993. But I liked her hairstyle more back then. Our points 10  + 9 = 19 pts.

3rd: Israel. Mother: A really good song, a really handsome singer, everything is so good, but he should try to sing it a little bit better. Our points: 9 + 9 = 18 pts.

4th: Turkey. Mother: I usually don't like rock, but those guys can sing and also the song is very good. Our points: 8½ + 8 ½ = 17 pts.

5th: Romania. Mother: Is that Cat Woman from Batman singing behind the piano? Oh my God, what a great voice she has! You can hear that she has taken lessons in classical singing. Our votes: 9 + 7 ½ = 16,5 pts.

6th: Cyprus. Mother: The singer can't be a Cypriot - I am sure he is from Wales or England. Oh from Wales. Why is he not singing for UK then? Quite a nice song but nothing Cypriot in that song. Our votes: 7 + 8½ = 15,5 pts.

7th: Slovenia. Mother: What a funny song and so different from other songs. And both the folk and rock singers can sing! I wonder if they have done any other songs together. Our votes: 8 + 7 ½ = 15,5 pts.

8th: Denmark.
Mother: This if what is a very usual ESC song - but not a bad one! But their chemistry seems not to be the best possible one. N'evergreen is good looking!
Our votes: 8, 25 + 7 = 15,25

9th: Armenia. Mother: What a huge woman. Look at her arms and fingers! The song is ok, maybe a little bit boring yet nice. Our votes: 7 + 7½ = 14,5 pts.

10th: Switzerland.
Mother: Hmmm, a song in French, finally! A nice costume he has and his voice is not very bad, but the performance is a little bit too chaotic. Our votes: 7 + 7 = 14.

11th: Croatia. Mother: I think they have the same stylist than CatCat had back in 1994 - or they had to come so quickly from the green room that they have only their underwears on them. And each one of them is trying to be the star nr 1. But their voices are not very bad. Our votes: 7 + 6 = 13 pts.

12th: Sweden. Mother: Maybe we finally see the day when Sweden will not be in the final. That sweet girl is destroying the song with her nasal voice and a little bit too big vibrato. The guitarr is too big for her. Why does she have sneakers? Our votes: 6 + 6 = 12 pts.

13th: Georgia. Mother: Too much walking, too much playing. She should only sing. Our votes:     5 ½ + 5 = 10, 5.

14th: Lithuania. Mother: What   a beginning to this contest. Such a bad song. Ooooohhhh, Niko, now they have only their boxers, this is getting very exciting! Which one of the guys do you like most?  Our votes: 5 + 5 = 10

15th: Ukraine.
Mother: She has a nice voice and she is performing it quite well, but the dress is awful and she is screaming absolutely too much. Our votes: 4 + 4 = 8 pts.

16th: Bulgaria.
Mother: I would not like to be the angel he is singing about. And his voice is not good. Our votes: 3 + 4 = 7 pts.

17th: Azerbaidjan. Mother: What a total nightmare! I go to boil some more water. Our votes: 1 + 2 = 3 pts.

That was our voting around the tea table, my mother sitting on a sofa and I on a rocking chair. We had tea with sandwiches and small cakes.  :)

Very interesting comments, Niko!   8)   :goodjob:

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1318.msg34198#msg34198

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2010, 08:49:38 PM »

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2010, 01:37:42 AM »
I personally find interesting people who are not esc followers to comment esc but they can only tell us how a simple esc viewer and possible televoter think. We have to take things in more perspective to understand esc. And what the hell is wrong with some people like the Dutch crap ? There's nothing NOTHING cute about it.

Well this is the second semi so I will less comment on the actual show done by Norway (which I’ll do again after the finale) but I’ll more focus on the actual finalists.

The first think I’d like to comment on is the language. Even if we noticed in all national finals and in man y entries throughout Europe a revival of national languages, only 6 songs in the final out of 25 will be in Spanish, Serbia, Greek, French, Portuguese and Hebrew. With France and Spain already finalists, that means only 4 songs qualified and 3 from the first semi and only 1 in the second semi: a huge disappointment (Switzerland, Finland…)

It’s hard to discuss the second semi without mentioning the fact that there was less room for surprises but boy did it leave room for the biggest surprise of the year: Sweden is out for the first time ever. People say it was unlikely to happen before but let’s remember that before 2008 Sweden did not have to do the semi-final often because Lena and Carola assured a finale spot for Martin and The Ark who both would have failed to qualify. Since the introduction of the two semi system where everyone has to take part Charlotte only made it thanks to the juries wildcard and though Malena did qualify Sweden got one of its worst place ever (apart from the last place gained in 1977) finishing only 21st. So the fact Sweden is out is not such a big surprise and with the latest results by the country not a surprise at all: it was actually very likely to happen. I’ll discuss this later when it comes down to discussing each country then but let’s not forget that songs from Ireland, Azerbaijan, Denmark, Norway and Georgia are all written by or partly by Swedes.

As for Croatia and Cyprus, I totally agree with the night’s result. Cyprus did deserve it and Croatia did not deserve it. Period.

As for the fact that the second semi was stronger, I absolutely disagree. The overall quality was quite similar if not a bit lower than the first semi which may have seemed not eurovision enough (many alternative songs like Russia, Estonia or many ballads, leaving room for Greece and Iceland to defend the eurovision type of trash). In a semi where many songs compete in  the same category it was hard to see which ones would go through. At the end, I thought some songs would kill each other out (Georgia and Azerbaijan mainly) but what we are left with is a very geopolitical finale that everyone enjoyed to point out: Azerbaijan, Georgia, Armenia, Turkey (and Cyprus and Israel) who all took part in this semi (thank god the semifinals were supposed to put an end to that) all made it to the big finale for Saturday night. While Ukraine made it but not Lithuania and all of the Balkans were left out (only Serbia, Bosnia and Albania made it but in the first semi). Romania made it but not Bulgaria. In the West, Netherlands, Switzerland are out while Ireland is in. In the North, Sweden is out and Denmark is in. So the saying that Eastern Europe is most likely to do well seems to verify this year (for once) but that would be ignoring that Portugal, Belgium and Ireland are “finally” in after many years of doing poorly.

Let’s also point out that big performances seem to have been the key for Azerbaijan, Georgia… but some simpler performances like Ukraine or Israel made it while Lithuania did not. Belgium and Ukraine do deserve some big hands for being the two countries with only one singer on stage, like France and Malta last year.

Now for my ranking. Well to be honest, I am much less affected by the results. I had only an interest for two songs, who both managed to remain very high in my list and the rest I let myself being surprised by the live performances. In the end I have 8/10 of the ones I would have in the final (for only 7/10 in the first semi) but none in my top 5 of the semi. The qualifiers are also 11th and 13th in my list so it’s much less of a shock.

1. Israel (qualified) 8,9/10
Without a doubt, the night’s biggest entry is a decent follower for Israel’s two latest esc entries which were both very good. Choosing internally their singer seems to be the right key for Israel’s national final, the Kdam that only serves the purpose to chose then the song. But it barely does, since there a jury has more importance (and by far) than televote, the winning song was never a surprise and also never the rightful one. Nevertheless, Harel Skaat is definitely the cutest guy of the night and with a great voice though he seemed to struggle for the bridge part. With a simple performance, a simple suit and everything else, it is a strong contender for the top 5, especially since he took the 24th place in the draw, after Lena who is the only strong contender from the end w(with maybe Romania).

2. Turkey (qualified) 8,8/10
One of my favorite songs of the year in audio did make a huge live. The thing is, it might be too huge. The lights were amazing because having the ones of the back all shut and leaving his face in some haunting fake shadow. The smoke, the weird robot figure ending up a woman (answering the mystical title “We could be the same” in a very interesting manners : robot/human or man/woman ?) Being the only one in the rock genre it will be likely to win many votes (since if you like a ballad you have many songs to go for, same for pop, same for schlager..) and with the Turkish diaspora plus most likely some jury support, this is one song that I can’t see out of the top 5. And that would be a good thing too

3. Ukraine (qualified) 6,3/10
Now we turn to the songs that I let myself being surprised by and this one is the biggest jump in my list. One of the best performances of the night (so hard to be all by yourself and not be boring or anything) and this was just right in everything, even the look was the most modern one (unlike some very old fashioned dresses again (Azerbaijan) or some weird styles (Switzerland)). The pronunciation was the only flaw for a song which fails to be any strong while her voice is excellent. Alyosha deserves a better strong but for Ukraine this is a huge difference to the horror we had last year.

4. Romania (qualified) 5,7/10
Another good surprise, even if I admit starting liking it before the performance. It was a very strong performance : I very much like the huge performances for upbeat song while singers do not move on stage. Paula was amazing looking and the song was delivered with the power it deserved. Not such a bad song after all even if I do hope we’ll get Catalin on the esc stage.

5. Cyprus (qualified) 4,8/10
Another one I started liking just this week before the contest : when it came up in my mp3 I would not push it off like I do many other songs. A strong voice, a very simple performance with a guitar he actually does play (not like Sweden, erm erm) and a simple but pleasant entry. I can’t see why it wouldn’t be in the final but with only one song to Tom Dice in the same style, Cyprus might very well be killed by Belgium, unless he manages to steal a few points and prevent Belgium from winning. We shall see but it does not have the same instant attraction than “Me and my guitar”.

6. Denmark (qualified) 4,7/10
Not a big surprise to see this doing not so badly in my list : Chanee is a strong singer while N’Evergreen who can’t sing a single note is filled with a lot of charisma (and is actually quite a hottie) with great looks and a very nice performance, in the very eurovisiony style, could not leave me without a lot of frustration but I do recognize its quality. The fact that when it came to the last envelope it was between Sweden and Denmark should have given us a clue it was going to be the smaller esc country, Denmark. Why? Because as I said for the first semi, the juries love the eurovision entries (they saved Charlotte in 2008) and they would prefer this to Sweden. Moreover, the international juries did not like Anna in the Melodifestivalen finale (France even gave her 0). So Denmark it was, even if both songs are actually to the same level to me.

7. Sweden (did not qualify) 4,7/10
Now why did no one see it coming? Mostly because of the song itself. It was cute, pretty well sung, very simple, not too eurovision-esque but not too alternative (like Estonia) so in the end, a perfect match for Eurovision. Add to that Anna’s cuteness and we all sure it was a package going straight to the final. What went wrong? Not much but the guitar was not played, the little fairy girl dress with the converse red shoes did not work. In the Melodifestivalen the Swedes completely went against their juries and the international juries who all defended Salem extremely different entry (and masterpiece) “Keep on walking” now they have to live with it. What if the 3rd of that final, Eric Saade”s “Manboy” would have gone? With his sexy look, the huge performance and of course the Frederik Kempe’s writings (who wrote Charlotte and Malena’s songs), it would have been in the finale. Maybe it will help Swedes rethink their esc entries. This song would not have added much to the esc finale after all and it was one of the pre contest favorite leaving more room for the other ones.

8. Ireland (qualified) 4,6/10
I still do not like the song and actually I think her performance was only barely ok. The light work is fine, the backings were great, but her dress was awful and definitely old fashioned (just like the ballad after all), the pipe was extra cheesy and definitely too much, and making her this tall was rather freaky. But she did the job. Vocally the best of the night, what else could she have done for such a song that delivers itself just fine? No, her only chance to catch the top 10 is to please the juries as televote will definitely overlook her for more modern ballads (Belgium, Israel and Ukraine). She made it to the finale, that’s already big for Ireland. Let’s not ask for more miracles.

9. Georgia (qualified) 4,2/10
This is the one I like best in all the Caucasian woman modern power ballads (Armenia, Azerbaijan and Georgia). Why? Well it can’t be look since all women were nice in their own ways. It can’t be live, they all really made big messy lives. It barely can be songs since they almost all sound the same. So I won’t have much things to make a reasonable comment except this one came the best of the three tonight and it seems like the only one I would have saved for the night, and it’s most likely to be the only one missing out the top 10 in the finale.

10. Switzerland (did not qualify) 3,9/10
Well it’s hard to chose the last finalist since I don’t like them all much but I don’t hate them either. I decided to save the Swiss entry because it was in French and it was not the typical power ballad. It was definitely different than everything else and even if he doesn’t sing that well he did not pretend doing so and that was pleasing. With a fine performance (but it could have been so much stronger) and great backings, this came out nice and we all knew it would not have gone through. So I do feel like saving it.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1318.msg34211#msg34211

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2010, 01:38:35 AM »
11. Armenia (qualified) 3,1/10
Yeah everything was fine and in order, she starts with her necklace, the apricot stone was on stage and it turns to a tree, the old woman was on stage, the folk bits, she was beautiful. Everything was right on order and it never took for me. It felt messy and all fake I just didn’t fall once for it but it was not hateful.

12. Croatia (did not qualify) 2,7/10
I can’t believe people actually thought this had any chances : it was way too much and way too kitsch to make anyone like it at all : the bench, the glitters and worse of all the big red heart that was almost insulting to our common sense. There were no ways people would like that, especially in this semi where only Slovenia could have given political votes to Croatia (the Nordic countries do like the Balkan music but more like the one offered by Milan this year for Serbia). This was everything hateful except the song which is nice but as I warned people before esc, totally lost with no originality except a hateful live. Vocally Feminem did get better since their firs esc appearance. Now they need to work on that performance if they want another go at eurovision.

13. Azerbaijan (qualified) 2,2/10
The best of the songs music wise of the ones I dislike was of course sure to go through as it was the bookmakers favorite before the live shows. But does it deserve it? Apart from some good music (which I still say could get millions if sung by some American stars like Beyonce), this was awfully performed. The steps were awkward, the catwalk was ridiculous especially when she ran back from it on high heels with terrible vocals all throughout and a dress that only Yohanna from Iceland last year could wear. A complete disaster that luckily is going first and might be a shock out of the top 10 if juries have enough senses to kill it. Still a serious pretender for a top 10 since it is such a catchy melody but definitely not going for the victory anymore.

14. Lithuania (did not qualify) 2/10
Another one that should not surprise us, this one because it did not go through is Lithuania. A terrible and hugely messy performance that went nowhere was sure to prevent Lithuania in the final (which they failed to enter since 2007). After all, this song was just another big joke live, when the lyrics try to be serious and that musically it pretends being funk and different. I can go for the lyrics and music as far as they want to go and since they went as far as taking off their trousers for shiny silver underpants, I can’t give them much credit. Too bad, I used to dig Lithuania in esc but for the past few years it’s gone completely wrong after having held many good finals. Why?

15. Netherlands (did not qualify) 1,2/10
Where to start? Yay it died! But once more not a big surprise. Holding the worse national final of the year with only one song and being a huge horror that is written by a man who only successes is having written an old fashioned crap. And then five singers or groups that were probably the ugliest dutch people ever and made me terribly sad but however hard she tried, Sieneke could not save it. Going all the way folk and kitshy was the right way to handle this crap, but it barely goes anywhere and a performance that limits itself on raising your hand and waving it around. I can’t believe people I respect and love could ever find themselves liking it. Singing along of course, who doesn’t, but liking it?

16. Bulgaria (did not qualify) 0,7/10
Well where to start? I like the half naked shiny men. That’s about that. The live went nowhere, the vocals were not there, the song is boring and it was a big bag of nothingness. But it is saved from my last place of this semi by a song that doesn’t even know what genre to play with.

17. Slovenia (did not qualify) 0,6/10
It’s got it all wrong. Mixing folk and rock is not a great idea but it can be done with magnificience but here it’s just a big crap with nothing to defend it. The folklore costumes with the clichéd rock, the melody that kills itself all throughout the song. I just really find the blonde cellist really beautiful. But the three minutes felt like they’d never ever end.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1318.msg34212#msg34212

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2010, 03:21:36 AM »
As always very interesting reviews Morgan :goodjob1:

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1318.msg34213#msg34213

Offline Niko

• Escvibes Friend
  • fan of Arlene Francis
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2010, 03:34:58 PM »
Morgan, if you don't like an entry, let's say Sieneke's song, you can only say that you don't like it but saying that "There's nothing NOTHING cute about it." is not very nice. It is only your opinion and not a common truth. I know that her song is not a song which is loved by sophisticated people like you. I am just a simple guy who loves simple songs and that is why my opinion is that Netherlands had absolutely the loveliest and best song of this year. There should be more songs like that in the future.  :)

In the final I will be cheering for 5 countries: Belgium, Ireland, Israel, Spain and United Kingdom.  :goodjob:

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1318.msg34215#msg34215
Åland forever!

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2010, 07:17:44 PM »
Thank you for those interesting and lovely comments guys!  :goodjob:  :)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1318.msg34221#msg34221

Offline Gerly

• Rock'N'Roll Kid
    • Dima Bilan
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2010, 06:05:37 PM »