Author Topic: FRANCE 2011 - Amaury Vassili - Sognu  (Read 5138 times)

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
  • Blondie's Lover
FRANCE 2011 - Amaury Vassili - Sognu
« on: January 27, 2011, 05:30:34 PM »
One of France’s most read daily Le Parisien has made public France 3 choice for Eurovision 2011 : Amaury Vassili will be representing France.  Five times winner, 28 times top 5, France has not won the contest since 1977 and Marie-Myriam’s “L’oiseau et l’enfant” (ranked all time #4 in our Best Esc Song Contest, read here), even if the country pulled out the big guns like Sébastien Tellier (famous in the electro music business) or Patricia Kaas (world famous, her 2009 entry “Et s’il fallait le faire” ranked all time #13 in our Best Esc Song Contest, read here).

Fatals Picards, Sébastien Tellier & Jessy Matador will see a fourth male singer walk the esc stage with the French flag in five years : maybe France 3 thinks that, if Patricia Kaas could not win representing the French “la femme” then none would. Amary Vassili is known in France as a “chanteur d’opéra” which does not mean he sings opera itself. It means he has a big voice but does not have the quality to be in opera. Yet, young and considered beautiful, he reached fame mostly copying Florent Pagny’s “popera” style and his debut album Vincero (published by Warner) sold 200,000 copies and reached #5 in France, #35 in Belgium. It’s mostly performed in Italian and English. Will Italy and San Marino’s returns influence France to violate their usual French rule? It’s doubtful as French deputies started a complain against Tellier’s song in English and stopped it after Tellier accepted to introduce two lines in French in Belgrade.

Little is known on the esc song, popera? pure ballad? Amaruy Vassili has the angelic face with the deep voice, hard to say what will be written for him and why. However, good news come from the commentators. Since 2000, Fr3 had humorists do the show, when this year it’s singer and song-writer Catherine Lara who will be in charge, helped by Laurent Boyer, a tv host. Catherine Lara reached fame in the 80s with her hit “Nuit magique” and with her coming out. Yet again, Eurovision belongs to the gays in France.

Have your say on French singer for Eurovision 2011 !

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1444.msg37000#msg37000

Offline Niko

• Escvibes Friend
  • fan of Arlene Francis
Re: FRANCE 2011 - Amaury Vassili
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 05:54:02 PM »
I listened some of his covers in YouTube and I must say he really has a great voice! Good luck Amaury!  :goodjob:

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1444.msg37001#msg37001
Åland forever!

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 06:02:07 PM »
ok my first reaction was “oh my god he has my haircut” wild and long and totally blah lol

well i did like Slovenia 07 and Sweden 09 but i hated latvia 07 so it really could go either way, my main problem is none of these 3 reached the top 10… Anyway he has a good voice, he looks good and can bring a nice charisma, plus since 2008 France takes the performance really seriously (Ortal, Virginie and Fatals all came out very amateur and embarrasing) and will definitely make him look at his best… so that’s a plus, but the problem is the song? True, I think the juries will probably go for it, at least enough for his voice to secure France from being last (which France never has been yet) but it needs to be a strong number with a build up on his voice. Most importantly, it can’t be anything too Swedish like or too schlagerish. I wouldn’t mind it pop, but if it’s extravagant at that.

Another thing is, France does try different things every year. From Jessy to Amaury I’m quite sure no countries will make such a big gap between the two performances, as it was already the case with Sébastien and Patricia, and that’s already a good news to me.

The more I think about it, the more certain I am that it won’t be very opera like, nor very “la Voix”… but who knows…

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1444.msg37002#msg37002

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 11:35:18 PM »
Well if he goes down the popera route there's a good chance I won't like it having hated Slovenia 07, Latvia 07 and Sweden 09.  Hopefully he won't go that route.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1444.msg37004#msg37004
Blue, Blue, Blue, Johnny Blue
Welche Farbe hat die Sonne?

Offline Poro

• Mysterious Newbie
Poro from Finland.

Offline Niko

• Escvibes Friend
  • fan of Arlene Francis
Re: FRANCE 2011 - Amaury Vassili - Sognu
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 05:04:40 PM »
Åland forever!

Offline Niko

• Escvibes Friend
  • fan of Arlene Francis
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 01:42:53 PM »

:heart: :heart: :heart:

AMAZINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG !  :sing:

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1444.msg37378#msg37378
Åland forever!

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 01:41:58 AM »
I expect most people who know my taste in music and this style of music in particular will be expecting a very negative response to this song from me...but you'll be disappointed - this is really very good indeed.  It helps when he looks like he does though :P

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1444.msg37382#msg37382
Blue, Blue, Blue, Johnny Blue
Welche Farbe hat die Sonne?