Author Topic: ESC 2011 - YOUR RANKINGS  (Read 64192 times)

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
Re: ESC 2011 - YOUR RANKINGS
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2011, 06:57:53 PM »
coz it's an americanized crap! i was so glad to see remy kill it :) you really do always fall for the americanized ballad dont you? but unlike Iceland 2009, she cant sing at all, cant dance, was poorly dressed and the english version was ridiculous, it was 22nd of televote too!

Yes I do fall for the americanized ballad...always have done.  I would have to disagree about her not being able to sing though...but more of that when I do my rankings.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38033#msg38033
Blue, Blue, Blue, Johnny Blue
Welche Farbe hat die Sonne?

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2011, 07:05:30 PM »
Yes I do fall for the americanized ballad...always have done.  I would have to disagree about her not being able to sing though...but more of that when I do my rankings.
yay! it'll be interesting, im glad Remy's got his going coz I cant wait to do mine. I have loads to say lol
too bad you told us it was your runaway winner though (i mean i get it's your winner, and that 2011 sucked, but runaway?!) that killed the tad suspense... i have changed my rankings much, even the former "big 7" songs are not my top 7 anymore (well they're my top 6 and one is ranked 8th instead lol but still and more importantly, they're ranked differently!) as usual the performances did matter a lot and changed things...

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38035#msg38035

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2011, 09:25:27 PM »
yay! it'll be interesting, im glad Remy's got his going coz I cant wait to do mine. I have loads to say lol
too bad you told us it was your runaway winner though (i mean i get it's your winner, and that 2011 sucked, but runaway?!) that killed the tad suspense... i have changed my rankings much, even the former "big 7" songs are not my top 7 anymore (well they're my top 6 and one is ranked 8th instead lol but still and more importantly, they're ranked differently!) as usual the performances did matter a lot and changed things...

The reasons for it being runaway will be interesting to read though :wink:.  As usual I look forward to reading your reviews Morgan...ESC season isn't complete until I've read them :D

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38038#msg38038

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2011, 04:31:54 PM »
35. Germany: Lena's return to the contest after her victory last year was pretty save: she was guaranteed a place in the final and the hosting country gets a top 10 place from the jury and the televoters most of the time. However, Lena's song "Taken By A Stranger" was pretty boring and it had no climax at all. I just goes on for three minutes without getting interesting. Not a bad idea to let Lena sing such an easy song, because she is not a great singer. But if you took away the enthousiasm and energy of "Satellite", there is nothing left of the Lena I like.

Lena - Taken By A Stranger

34. Moldova: I take the contest very seriously and I love it when the participants take me, the viewer, also seriously. So Lucky from Moldova maybe think that only children are watching the contest and that they have to entertain, but I don't like this joke entries at all. However, the song was pretty joyful. I could live with the song and the performance after all.

So Lucky - Zdob şi Zdub

33. Azerbaijan: I don't know what it is with Azerbaijan. It seems that the country always will get a good ranking, no matter what they send. They receive many points every year (12 points from Turkey, every year since their first participation) and they were already a favorite to win the contest in 2010, even before the entry was chosen! Their entry this year was a nice ballad, but definitely not a winner for me. It's too bad that many people vote for their favorite country instead of their favorite entry. For me there were 32 better songs this year.

Ell and Nikki - Running Scared

32. Italy: Italy left the contest definitely after 1997 (they were also absent from 1994 - 1996), because the own Festival di San Remo, the inspiration for the Eurovision Song Contest, is much more popular in Italy.
To be honest, I expected much more from Italy. Their last entry in 1997 was just wonderful. The Italian entry this year was pretty boring and Raphael Gualazzi's vocal performance wasn't great either. The juries obviously awarded many points to Italy, in order to convince them to stay in the contest. Italy was the first choice of the juries, it was 11th in the televoting results.

Raphael Gualazzi - Madness of Love

31. Slovakia: TWiiNS (Daniela and Veronika Nízlová) were background singers for Tereza Kerndlová when she represented the Czech Republic in 2008, so they had already some Eurovision experience.
I must admit that the girls looked gorgeous, but their song was pretty annoying to me. And again, why an English song? Kamil Mikulčík and Nela Pocisková proved in 2009 that the Slovak language is a beautiful language to sing in. I hope for a decent Slovak song next year!

TWiiNS - I'm Still Alive

Place 30 - 26 follow soon.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38043#msg38043
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
Psalm 23:4

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2011, 04:32:27 PM »
My ranking so far:

43. Portugal
42. Norway
41. Netherlands
40. Slovenia
39. Croatia
38. Israel
37. Denmark
36. Latvia
35. Germany
34. Moldova
33. Azerbaijan
32. Italy
31. Slovakia

Click on the image below to enlarge the map of Europe

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38044#msg38044
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

Offline Niko

• Escvibes Friend
  • fan of Arlene Francis
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2011, 06:05:10 PM »
What a very interesting and good map, Remy!  :goodjob: I have never before seen anyone doing such a map!

Anyway, I was quite sure that you didn't like Italy. For me, Italy was the runner-up, an absolutely amazing jazz song.  :heart: Only the French ballad by Amaury was better. That's my opinion.

Anyway, seeing the Slovakian above Italian song made me very sad. In my ranking list, the Slovakian girls were deadlast, because they didn't have any talents in singing. I haven't often heard a worse song in the historuy of ESC.  :doh:

Otherwise, your ranking is quite much ok, even if Azerbaidjan and Germany are some places higher in my ranking and the Moldovan bad circus is in my bottom 3 or quite close to it.

Thank you Remy, I am really looking foreward to see the rest of your ranking.  :)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38045#msg38045
Åland forever!

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2011, 06:28:08 PM »
Well you really got rid of some rubbish in that section Remy :goodjob1:...unfortunately there's still my bottom 2 songs left in :irked:

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38046#msg38046

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2011, 06:54:10 PM »
i also use a map system, it's cool though that you did one for NOW (as in not just one map revealing your full list like mine) also in mine, i put every country beyond 25th in the same colour, as in "should not have qualified, period" lol

on the other hand, i love or "like" almost all the songs you voted out today except for one (4 of the songs are in my top 20)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38047#msg38047

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2011, 07:19:31 PM »
Thank you for your comments, guys! I'm really happy that you like the map of Europe.  :)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38050#msg38050

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2011, 07:37:22 PM »
more we want more ranking ;D

to show a comparison to my maps, i decided to post the 2010 one (i cant post the 2011 one for the suspense of course). Click on the map to see it on its real size.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38051#msg38051

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2011, 08:34:22 PM »
The map looks great, Morgan! I can't wait to see your rankings.

I try to post at least 5 countries every day, so that I will be ready in a few days.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38058#msg38058

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2011, 08:35:52 PM »
Remy, the nordic and baltic seas are sometimes hard to keep track, i noticed you forgot to put the Faroe Islands in dark orange as Denmark was already voted out :) (and arguably, Greenland too, but you have greenland in grey as if it was not participating whereas you have Faroe Islands in white!)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38059#msg38059

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2011, 08:48:35 PM »
Remy, the nordic and baltic seas are sometimes hard to keep track, i noticed you forgot to put the Faroe Islands in dark orange as Denmark was already voted out :) (and arguably, Greenland too, but you have greenland in grey as if it was not participating whereas you have Faroe Islands in white!)

Greenland is indeed a part of the Kingdom of Denmark, but Greenland is also an autonomous country.
But you're completely right. I forgot the Faroe Islands, thank you for noticing!

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38060#msg38060

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2011, 08:52:25 PM »
30. Belgium: Belgium, very successful with Tom Dice and his guitar last year. This year Belgium tried it with an a cappella song: neither instruments nor a synthesizer were used. It was an interesting instrument, but I think that it failed to impress on the big Eurovision stage. However, it was an interesting entry and Belgium became 11th in the second semi-final with only one point less than Moldova.

Witloof Bay - With Love Baby

29. Turkey: Turkey was, thanks to the millions of Turkish people in Western Europe, always in the final. I didn't understand why they have to start in the semi-final every year, because it seemed impossible for them to miss the final... but it happen this year. A big surprise for me. Especially because their entry wasn't that bad. I didn't like it very much and I think that it's a good thing that Turkey didn't qualify, but some Turkish entries of the past few years (2007, 2009) were much worse, but they manage to get a place in the top 5.

Yüksek Sadakat - Live It Up

28. Georgia: Georgia never failed to qualify for the final and it didn't happen this year either. "One More Day" from Eldrine, a Georgian rock band, belong to the kind of songs that we hear a lot in the contest the past few years. Just another annoying rock song. I like Sophio Toroshelidze, but I don't like the song and the whole performance.

Eldrine - One More Day

27. Albania: Albania qualified for the final in the past three years. I like the Albanian entries of 2009 and 2010 with Kejsi Tola and Juliana Pasha. Both women sang very well and their songs were pretty catchy. Aurela Gaçe represented Albania this year and she can also sing very well, but I didn't like her song very much. "Feel The Pashion" is a lot of screaming. Not the worst song of the evening, but definitely not the best either. 

Aurela Gaçe - Feel The Passion

26. Lithuania: Evelina Sašenko represented Lithuania this year with "C'est Ma Vie". Despite the title, it's an English song with some phrases in French. It's not a really strong and interesting ballad in my opinion. It's well sung, but the song is very forgettable.

Evelina Sašenko - C'est Ma Vie

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38061#msg38061

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2011, 08:52:52 PM »
My ranking so far:

43. Portugal
42. Norway
41. Netherlands
40. Slovenia
39. Croatia
38. Israel
37. Denmark
36. Latvia
35. Germany
34. Moldova
33. Azerbaijan
32. Italy
31. Slovakia
30. Belgium
29. Turkey
28. Georgia
27. Albania
26. Lithuania

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38062#msg38062

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2011, 08:58:26 PM »
it started well, but now 3 more songs in my top 20 were voted out and i have to admit the other 2 are ok to me (i actually have Lithuania 26th as well :laugh:) that's 8 songs of my top 20 out already, let's hope we dont have more in the 5 tomorrow :goodjob:

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38063#msg38063

Offline Niko

• Escvibes Friend
  • fan of Arlene Francis
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2011, 09:27:46 PM »
I think I am the only one here who likes the Lithuanian song.  :-[ When I heard her singing it in semifinal, I was sure that she would qualify - and she did it!  :) Also, Belgium surprised me in semifinal and it was finaly in my top 10 in semifinal ranking.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38064#msg38064
Åland forever!

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2011, 08:03:19 PM »
I think I am the only one here who likes the Lithuanian song.  :-[ When I heard her singing it in semifinal, I was sure that she would qualify - and she did it!  :) Also, Belgium surprised me in semifinal and it was finaly in my top 10 in semifinal ranking.

You're not the only one that likes the Lithuanian song :wink:...

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38065#msg38065

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2011, 10:02:39 PM »
25. Greece: Just like in 2008 Greece started as 19th and last country of the evening in the first semi-final and just like in 2008 Greece became the winner. I wonder why Greece is so extreme popular. The televoters must like Greece as a country, because most of their entries aren't so good. Loukas Giorkas is a good singer, but "Watch My Dance" is a very average song. And I think that Stereo Mike didn't make it more interesting either.

Loukas Giorkas feat. Stereo Mike - Watch My Dance

24. United Kingdom: I like the boy band idea from the United Kingdom and I expected much from the UK, but I was a little bit disappointed. The vocal performance was not very good. Those voices togerther just didn't sound very well. Pretty cool guys and a cool performance, but not a great vocal performance.

Blue - I Can

23. San Marino: San Marino is not very successful in the contest. The country has only one neighbour that didn't vote in their semi-final and such a little country can't profit from diaspora voting. Just like in 2008 the televoters gave the least votes to San Marino. Only the juries put the country in their top 10. The song was a nice ballad from a from a lovely singer and I would have been happy for her if San Marino would have qualified for the final. However, the ballad was very average and also forgettable. Maybe more luck with an Italian song next year?

Senit - Stand By

22. Armenia: Although this entry belongs to the category cheap pop songs, I like the song pretty much. It's catchy and it's not a punishment to look at Emmy (Emma Beyanjan) from Armenia. I respect the performance with the boxing theme. The only thing was Emmy's vocal performance. It was not good, she sang pretty false sometimes. I think that the performance took too much of her energy.

Emmy - Boom Boom

21. Ukraine: Mika Newton (Oksana Stefanivna Hrytsay) is a handsome, young singer from Ukraine. The girl has a good voice, but I find the performance, the woman in the background playing with sand, a little bit too much for a Eurovision stage. The song was nice, but also a little bit irrelevant and forgettable. However, although Ukraine is not in my top 20, I enjoyed this entry!

Mika Newton - Angel

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38066#msg38066

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2011, 10:03:28 PM »
43. Portugal
42. Norway
41. Netherlands
40. Slovenia
39. Croatia
38. Israel
37. Denmark
36. Latvia
35. Germany
34. Moldova
33. Azerbaijan
32. Italy
31. Slovakia
30. Belgium
29. Turkey
28. Georgia
27. Albania
26. Lithuania
25. Greece
24. United Kingdom
23. San Marino
22. Armenia
21. Ukraine

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38067#msg38067

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2011, 11:05:46 PM »
More nice reviews there Remy :goodjob1:...but my bottom 2 are in your top 20 :doh:.  I'll be interested to read why you like one of them - I understand the other one but there's one I just don't get why anyone could actually like it ???

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38068#msg38068

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2011, 11:45:32 PM »
PHEW! two horrors i couldnt wait for are finally out and NOT in your top 20, only one of these 5 is actually in my personal top 20 so we have 11 songs in common in our top 20 remy, which is a pretty decent result!

to be fair, considering your taste dear remy, i am only surprised by ONE song in your top 20 (Macedonia), all the other ones are either good (11 of them we agree on!) or if i dont like them, i understand why you would coz it's your taste!

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38070#msg38070

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2011, 04:59:33 PM »
More nice reviews there Remy :goodjob1:...but my bottom 2 are in your top 20 :doh:.  I'll be interested to read why you like one of them - I understand the other one but there's one I just don't get why anyone could actually like it ???

Thank you, Ian.  :) I really wonder which entries in my top 20 are in your bottom 2.

PHEW! two horrors i couldnt wait for are finally out and NOT in your top 20, only one of these 5 is actually in my personal top 20 so we have 11 songs in common in our top 20 remy, which is a pretty decent result!

to be fair, considering your taste dear remy, i am only surprised by ONE song in your top 20 (Macedonia), all the other ones are either good (11 of them we agree on!) or if i dont like them, i understand why you would coz it's your taste!

Cool that we have 11 songs in our top 20 in common, Morgan. ;) I think that I can guess at least 5 of the 11 songs that we have in common. Actually I like Macedonia's entry a lot. :) I was pretty disappointed when they didn't reach the final.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38072#msg38072

Offline Niko

• Escvibes Friend
  • fan of Arlene Francis
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2011, 06:39:25 PM »
Greece is in my top 10 - or at least very close to it and I also liked UK very much. Armenia on the other hand was in my bottom 5. Otherwise I agree  :)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38073#msg38073
Åland forever!

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2011, 07:18:53 PM »
Greece is in my top 10 - or at least very close to it and I also liked UK very much. Armenia on the other hand was in my bottom 5. Otherwise I agree  :)

Hi Niko! :) I know that you didn't like Armenia. And I understand that you like the UK, but Greece in your top 10 or very close to it is a little bit of a surprise to me. Cool that we agree on the other entries.  :goodjob:

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38074#msg38074