Author Topic: ESC 2011 - YOUR RANKINGS  (Read 63607 times)

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
Re: ESC 2011 - YOUR RANKINGS
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2011, 07:21:15 PM »
20. Cyprus: I had my doubts about the Cypriot entry this year. There is something about the song that I like, but on the other hand the song missed something. It goes on for three minutes without getting really interesting. The performance itself was pretty boring. However, it deserved more than a 18th place.

Christos Mylordos - San Aggelos S'Agapisa

19. Bosnia & Herzegovina: The 2011 contest wasn't the first Eurovision experience for Dino Merlin. The writer of the first national anthem of Bosnia & Herzegovina ("Jedna si jedina", the national anthem of Bosnia & Herzegovina between 1992 and 1998) was the author of "Sva Bol Svijeta" (Bosnia's entry in 1993) and he represented Bosnia & Herzegovina in 1999 together with Béatrice Poulot. To be honest, the 6th place this year for "Love In Rewind" was too high in my opinion. It's a nice song, but very overrated by some of the Eurovision fans.

Dino Merlin - Love In Rewind

18. Spain: I liked the Spanish entry from the beginning. "Que Me Quiten Lo Bailao" from Lucía Pérez is a lovely and upcheering song. Although it was clear to me that Spain never would win the contest with this song, it's nice to listen to the song and I think that the performance was very lovely.

Lucía Pérez - Que Me Quiten Lo Bailao

17. Russia: "Get You" from Alex Sparrow (Alexey Vorobyov) sounds like a typical Eurovision song and was too smooth. Alexey was obviously very nervous in the semi-final, but he was still able to give a decent performance. The song is a little bit cliché, but also catchy. I like it after all.

Alexey Vorobyov - Get You

16. Iceland: There is a special story behind the Icelandic entry "Coming Home". The original artist who would sing the song was Sigurjón Brink, but he died suddenly on 17 January 2011 during the national selection procedure for the Eurovision Song Contest. Some of Sigurjón's friends decided to form the band Sjonni's Friends in order to perform the song as a tribute to Sigurjón. The band won the Icelandic national final. I was afraid that the song would not get enough attention to reach the final, but I'm very happy that Iceland did well because I like the song very much. What the members of Sjonni's Friends did was very special. They made a great tribute to Sigurjón Brink. They may not have been the best artists of the evening, but to me they are the real winners. True friendship is more important than winning a contest. May Sigurjón Brink rest in peace.

Sjonni's Friends - Coming Home

Sigurjón Brink
29 August 1974 - 17 January 2011
Rest in peace

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38075#msg38075
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
Psalm 23:4

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2011, 07:21:56 PM »
43. Portugal
42. Norway
41. Netherlands
40. Slovenia
39. Croatia
38. Israel
37. Denmark
36. Latvia
35. Germany
34. Moldova
33. Azerbaijan
32. Italy
31. Slovakia
30. Belgium
29. Turkey
28. Georgia
27. Albania
26. Lithuania
25. Greece
24. United Kingdom
23. San Marino
22. Armenia
21. Ukraine
20. Cyprus
19. Bosnia & Herzegovina
18. Spain
17. Russia
16. Iceland

Click on the image below to enlarge the map of Europe

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38076#msg38076
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

Offline Niko

• Escvibes Friend
  • fan of Arlene Francis
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2011, 08:04:05 PM »
Hmm - it is getting more difficult now.

I liked the Cypriot song, but the hammer woman destroyed it. Anyway, it was clearly inside the top 10 in the 2nd semifinal for me, especially because he was singing very well in that semifinal.

I never understood what is the secret in the Bosnian song. Dino can sing and he has a good voice, so the question is not about that. But the song itself is very bad in my opinion. It is a mixture of all kind of things so I really coudn't like it, how much I even wanted to! In my opinion it was the 15th in its semifinal, which means that it would be somewere around 30th in the total ranking.  :-[

The Spanish song was cute, the singer had a lovely smile on her face, but still: hasn't Spain sent a similar song to ESC very many times ? I would like to get something new from Spain for ESC 2012. (New does not mean something strange though). I was missing Daniel Diges on ESC night.

Russian song was a typical ESC schlager, but believe me or not, I liked it very much and it was close to my top 10, probably even fighting about the 9th or 10th place. :) But since that, very much has happened and also some other esc songs which I hated on the final night, I have started to like.  ;)

Icelandic song was really nice and I loved it. One reason for that would perhaps be that it was quite old-fashioned, but in a good way.  :)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38077#msg38077
Åland forever!

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2011, 08:10:29 PM »
and how not a single word from any of you is said that Alex can't get a SINGLE note right and it was 3mns of camp cliché HORROR without a good note!

the rest makes sense in your top 20, i'm not crazy about some of them but they make sense in this bad year to be on the better half ; the only thing i'd add would be that Poland, Hungary and Belarus are getting very overrated, a place in the top 10 would make me very angry :talktothehand:

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38078#msg38078

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2011, 12:20:30 AM »
and how not a single word from any of you is said that Alex can't get a SINGLE note right and it was 3mns of camp cliché HORROR without a good note!

Only because I haven't replied yet.  His performance was absolutely SHOCKING and cannot totally be blamed on nerves.

My bottom 2 are still to come :irked: :doh:.  I also agree about Hungary & Poland (although I like the song the performance sent her plunging in my rankings) being overrated.

I somewhat agree with Niko with regards to Bosnia - it's a complete nothing of a song...but the part I disagree with is the vocals which in the Semi were diabolical and in the final were just about passable

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38079#msg38079
Blue, Blue, Blue, Johnny Blue
Welche Farbe hat die Sonne?

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2011, 01:37:19 AM »
My bottom 2 are still to come :irked: :doh:.  I also agree about Hungary & Poland (although I like the song the performance sent her plunging in my rankings) being overrated.
yeah poland had an ok song hugely killed by a disaster live (last in semi) while hungary had a disaster of a song where she tried everything live (hateful dress and boring backing dancers, but her vocals surprised and the overall simpleness was decent!)... bottom 2? I thought russia could be one of them so what... Malta, Ireland, Sweden? Really?

I somewhat agree with Niko with regards to Bosnia - it's a complete nothing of a song...but the part I disagree with is the vocals which in the Semi were diabolical and in the final were just about passable
I'll have lots to say about that. I make no suspense that Bosnia will be in my top 10 so I'll discuss it at length.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38080#msg38080

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2011, 03:55:17 PM »
... bottom 2? I thought russia could be one of them so what... Malta, Ireland, Sweden? Really?

Yes to two of those three - for reasons I'll explain when I do my rankings.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38081#msg38081

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2011, 02:48:40 AM »
Yes to two of those three - for reasons I'll explain when I do my rankings.
I hardly find them offensive and horrible as my own bottom 3, not even close

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38086#msg38086

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2011, 12:02:24 PM »

the rest makes sense in your top 20, i'm not crazy about some of them but they make sense in this bad year to be on the better half ; the only thing i'd add would be that Poland, Hungary and Belarus are getting very overrated, a place in the top 10 would make me very angry :talktothehand:

Haha, don't worry Morgan. Poland and Hungary are not in the top 10. Belarus is in my top 10, but not very high.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38088#msg38088

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2011, 02:26:43 PM »
15. Hungary: Hungary returned to the contest after one year of absence. Although I'm not very impressed by Kati Wolf and by her performance, I like the song. It's one of those songs that we hear often in Eurovision, but it's pretty catchy. Kati Wolf deserved her place in the final.

Kati Wolf - What About My Dreams?

14. Austria: Austria, another country that returned to the contest this year. Austria is not very successful in Eurovision, but the country had some classic entries in the past. Their entry this year was very cute. Although the song is a little bit cliché and even a little bit forgettable, it sounds nice and Nadine Beiler's performance was very good. Welcome back Austria!

Nadine Beiler - The Secret Is Love

13. Poland: I have a lot of sympathy for Poland's entry this year. I simply like the song which is sung, written and composed by Magdalena Tul. The last place in the first semi-final is undeserved in my opinion. The vocal performance wasn't good and in some parts Magdalena Tul didn't even sing but let the background singers do the singing. If Tul had put more time in the song and less time in all the movements and dances, she would have got a much better ranking.

Magdalena Tul - Jestem

12. Romania: After some lovely entries in the past, Romania managed to come up with another good entry this year. The song may sound a little bit cliché, but it's very joyful and I like the enthousiasm of the singers. I don't like it as much as I like "The Balkan Girls" from Elena Gheorghe and "Playing With Fire" from Paula Seling & Ovi, but "Change" is certainly an entry to enjoy.

Hotel FM - Change

11. Ireland: The 11th place is for Ireland. It's strange to see the most successful country in the Eurovision Song Contest come up with Jedward, identical twins from Dublin. Their performance is completely over the top, but in a nice way. And the song is very catchy and it stays in my mind after I heard it. Well done, Ireland!

Jedward - Lipstick

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38089#msg38089

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2011, 02:29:14 PM »
43. Portugal
42. Norway
41. Netherlands
40. Slovenia
39. Croatia
38. Israel
37. Denmark
36. Latvia
35. Germany
34. Moldova
33. Azerbaijan
32. Italy
31. Slovakia
30. Belgium
29. Turkey
28. Georgia
27. Albania
26. Lithuania
25. Greece
24. United Kingdom
23. San Marino
22. Armenia
21. Ukraine
20. Cyprus
19. Bosnia & Herzegovina
18. Spain
17. Russia
16. Iceland
15. Hungary
14. Austria
13. Poland
12. Romania
11. Ireland

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38090#msg38090

Offline Niko

• Escvibes Friend
  • fan of Arlene Francis
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2011, 03:26:53 PM »
This is a really interesting list of 5 songs.  :)

Hungary: I didn't like it in the beginning, but when I saw her singing it in the semifinal, I started liking it. Her dress was one of the most awful ones in ESC and I think it can partly explain her bad result (just like CatCat in ESC 1994). All in all, it is one of the few esc songs from 2011, which melody I can still remember.  :)

Austria: This song was so American and the singer so much wannabe Mariah Carey, that the song became funny. Totally not my type of a song.

Poland: Since the very beginning I was disliking this song - and I still do. I never understood the huge hype around it when it won the Polish nf. All in all, this song has no rhyme or reason.  :shrug:

Romania: One of the cute little songs in this year's ESC. I really love this song and how it makes me smiling. I was really happy because it was qualified to final.  :)

Ireland: Only God knows how much I hated this song in the beginning. It was representing everything I was against in ESC. Still in the semifinal I was hoping that Jedward would fail. BUT THEN SOMETHING VERY STRANGE HAPPENED: When I was watching at their singing and performance in the final, I started liking it very very much. At the same time I wanted to hate it, but I just couldn't!  :-[ The song and the performance were too funny and too energetic to be hated. And it made me to sing along!  :) During the final I was really hoping that they would do well and actually I was hoping to see them in top 3 :)  A really funny and nice song after all.  :P

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38091#msg38091
Åland forever!

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2011, 07:00:34 PM »
well im glad to see these two out :goodjob:

when i think about it, 11 in common in top 20 is good, but a lot we hv in common are not in my top 10 and in the end, we only have 3 songs in common in the top 10! 7 songs in your top 10 are in my top 20 though! :)

as for belarus, i understand it, i dont aprove, but i understand (everyone thinks it's too funny) ; the one that puzzles me the most is Macedonia...

and Ian only has Ireland out finally, but Sweden/Malta in top 10, what will he say :P

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38094#msg38094

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2011, 11:12:45 PM »
Well thank goodness the Irish didn't make your top 10.  I won't say any more about it until I reveal my rankings.  What I will say is that it was that entry I just don't get how anyone can actually like it.  The other one (Sweden or Malta :wink: ) I can understand but I have my own reasons for disliking it which I will explain later. 

I'm with Morgan on Macedonia though - it's inclusion in your top 10 is a real puzzle to me.   But I'm sure you'll explain your reasons.  It's not the only one in your top 10 that I think is overrated either :-[.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38096#msg38096

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2011, 11:27:33 PM »
Thank you for your comments, guys!

Niko, it's funny that we have both the same thing with Ireland. I also hated Jedward's entry before the contest, but during the show I liked it very much.

Morgan & Ian, I knew from the beginning that there are a few countries in my top 10 that you absolutely don't like. I'm afraid that you don't like my winner at all. Anyway, I will continue as soon as I can with my top 10. Can't wait to finish my rankings.  :laugh:

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38097#msg38097

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2011, 11:57:53 PM »
from what you say I have a feeling we're heading for an Eric Saade's victory, would fit your criterias!

as for Ian, i think his anti-Jedward comes from the fact he's british and has suffered Jedward way too much (i should know, my bf is british and he had a very anti-Jedward reaction to it, telling me he knew they'd get 12 from the uk and all, but he did like the song "Lipstick" a lot). I also like "Lipstick"

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38098#msg38098

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2011, 12:06:18 AM »
from what you say I have a feeling we're heading for an Eric Saade's victory, would fit your criterias!

as for Ian, i think his anti-Jedward comes from the fact he's british and has suffered Jedward way too much (i should know, my bf is british and he had a very anti-Jedward reaction to it, telling me he knew they'd get 12 from the uk and all, but he did like the song "Lipstick" a lot). I also like "Lipstick"

Absolutely right about my anti-Jedward feelings

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38099#msg38099

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2011, 12:07:35 AM »
Morgan & Ian, I knew from the beginning that there are a few countries in my top 10 that you absolutely don't like. I'm afraid that you don't like my winner at all. Anyway, I will continue as soon as I can with my top 10. Can't wait to finish my rankings.  :laugh:

If you think Morgan dislikes your top 10 wait until he sees mine :rofl:...I know already he's going to absolutely hate most of it

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38100#msg38100

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2011, 12:57:53 AM »
10. Sweden: The biggest favorite for the victory before the final. Too bad that Italy and Azerbaijan ended on the 1st and 2nd place. I would have been very happy with Eric Saade as winner. The song is a little bit over the top in the beginning, but the rest of the song and the melody are very cool. Besides that, Eric Saade is a great entertainer and stage performer. Okay, he is not the best singer and the lyrics are far from decent, but to me the catchy melody and the cool performance are enough for a place in my top 10.

Eric Saade - Popular

9. Belarus: I didn't like "I Love Belarus" before the contest, but I realize that I don't have to take the song very seriously. Besides that, the melody sounds very nice. Of course it's very camp and too patriotic, but it's a lot better than the butterflies last year. The lyrics are hateful, but I really love the sound of the song. I love Bela... eh... this Belarusian entry!

Anastasia Vinnikova - I Love Belarus

8. FYR Macedonia: Although it didn't make it to the final, I can see the charm of this lovely Macedonian entry. Happy, folk music with a nice stage performance. I always fall for entries like this. I was very surprised that Vlatko Ilievski had to go home after the second semi-final. I think he was unlucky that Russia, Serbia, Greece and Albania voted in the other semi-final.

Vlatko Ilievski - Rusinka

7. Finland: Lovely entry from Finland. "Da Da Dam" from Paradise Oskar is a nice, lovely song. No screaming, no wild dances, no light show, just three minutes lovely music. I was afraid that Axel Ehnström (Paradise Oskar's real name) would face the same fate as Kuunkuiskaajat in 2010. But this time the televoters and the jury awarded a lovely Finnish entry with a place in the final. The 21st place in the final was horribly low in my opinion, but Paradise Oskar is 7th in my ranking.

Paradise Oskar - Da Da Dam

6. Switzerland: Many Eurovision fans were in love for a while with Anna Rossinelli. The entry from Switzerland was also, like Finland's entry, a sweet entry. I like the song and the lovely performance and I can't understand why it came last in the final. How can someone not like Anna Rossinelli's sweet little love song? Anyway, I give her what she deserves: a place in the top 10!

Anna Rossinelli - In Love For A While

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38101#msg38101

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2011, 12:59:04 AM »
43. Portugal
42. Norway
41. Netherlands
40. Slovenia
39. Croatia
38. Israel
37. Denmark
36. Latvia
35. Germany
34. Moldova
33. Azerbaijan
32. Italy
31. Slovakia
30. Belgium
29. Turkey
28. Georgia
27. Albania
26. Lithuania
25. Greece
24. United Kingdom
23. San Marino
22. Armenia
21. Ukraine
20. Cyprus
19. Bosnia & Herzegovina
18. Spain
17. Russia
16. Iceland
15. Hungary
14. Austria
13. Poland
12. Romania
11. Ireland
10. Sweden
09. Belarus
08. FYR Macedonia
07. Finland
06. Switzerland

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38102#msg38102

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2011, 01:49:39 AM »
So in your top 5 are Estonia, France, Malta, Bulgaria & Serbia.  Only 1 of them is in my top 10...but at least none of them are in my bottom 2.  Yes the other one of my bottom 2 that is too high is Sweden.  I will explain why when it's my turn :)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38104#msg38104

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2011, 03:11:31 AM »
He said we'd hate the winner and the only song I dont like in his top 5 is Malta... so can someone really have Glen Vella's "One Life" as 2011 best entry? :shrug: :worry:

Anyway, 3 of your top 5 are in my top 10 so that's pretty good and I dont think any of the 5 are horrible... Truly, Malta I don't get why it's so high and apparently your winner, but the other 4 make all the sense to me.

See, with your map now fully done, I find it hard to figure out who did what, because it has a lot of colours. A lesson I had in geopolitics in uni was that a good map relies on the same pattern of colors which you tone down as you go, making it more visible for people to see. I'm going to make you a map out of your ranking using my technique and we can compare. I will not put the winner up coz I dont know for sure it's Malta and will put all top 5 in the same red.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38105#msg38105

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2011, 03:23:08 AM »
Here it is, tell me what you think and if you like it?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38106#msg38106

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2011, 09:50:43 AM »
Looks great Morgan! Looks very clear. I used maybe too many colours. On the other hand, if you keep in my mind that the low ranked songs are red, orange and yellow, the average songs are purple en blue en the good ones are green, I think that my map is also clear.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38109#msg38109

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2011, 11:45:11 AM »
I will post my reviews of the last 5 songs right now!  ;)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1491.msg38113#msg38113