Author Topic: ESC 2011 - Semi-final 1  (Read 8958 times)

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
Re: ESC 2011 - Semi-final 1
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2011, 09:39:45 AM »
Good reviews, Ian. I must say that, unlike you, I'm still a little bit surprised by the qualification of Iceland. It wasn't a bad song, but top 10?

I'm very disappointed about the Portuguese entry, Portugal is normally one of my favorites.
I hope they will send a singer like Filipa Azevedo next year.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1495.msg37641#msg37641
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
Psalm 23:4

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2011, 08:30:02 PM »
Well a first semi is special, we get a look at the hosts, the stage, the postcard... so there's lots to comment. Except this one is easy: it was awful and simply a disaster. The hosts were very boring, the humour was disgustingly bad, and Raab should stop being so full of himself I can't believe he can't see he is a son to be Siegel. The postcards are insanely insulting. They're like tourist adds for "folk" cartoony germany with immigrants in it. I mean just wow. The stage is ok but then it's not imaginative, and most of all it's too big. Every singer looked so small and lost there. The screen simply crushes them down and while some singers managed to make it work, most of them had just a very bad outcome. Yes, the results are the only good things to most extend, but I must admit however bad the live was, I still think Turkey should have made it instead of Greece and San Marino instead of Hungary.

1. Poland
Well the song always sucked so yeah that didn't aprove. Apart from being in Polish everything about this was wrong. The routine was very lame, the song's cheap and not that entertaining and the overall show was just annoying. Fans were probably sad around this but yeah I never saw it qualifying to begin with.

2. Norway
Another one I never understood as a favorite but yeah her vocals were just insulting to music. She's very cute but the song's stupid and it doesn't have the dance factor that France 2010 had (which everyone usually compare it to). Lame lyrics, cheesy to stay polite music, awful vocals and the worst possible draw. Wh can be surprised, really?

3. Albania
She's always been a shouter and not a screamer. We knew it. We heard it. We won't again thankfully. It was ok for the screen this one time it wasn't too bad. But her look was disgusting. And Albanians are officially the worst English-speakers ever this has to stop their singing in English. Did you understand a single word. It wasn't hateful as far as melody goes except, it isn't catchy. As soon as it's over, you go "haba haba" more easily than whatever she was singing. Goodbye.

4. Armenia
Not only is this the best news of the night but it's also important to remind all there is behind it. I'll put to silence the political debates around the whole Caucasus affairs, their conspiracies theory don't interest me. But Emmy's fiasco last year in the Armenian NF, her hatred towards Eva, then her chosen internally even though she can't sing, the fact they chose the worst one of all 4 "Boomboom shaka shaka"... This piece of noise which was written to make her shake it proved only one thing: she can't even shake it.

5. Turkey
I remember how disappointed we most were when this was presented. It wasn't "Deli" or "We could be the same" that's for sure. Now it failed for an obvious reason: there was no charisma in the performance and the contortionist made no sense, it was freaky, creepy and the bird final very lame. Plus green jeans are a no. So yes, imo this song should still have made the cut instead of two or three that did. The problem now is that all the haters of TRT's internal selection which did give us some amazing songs recently will be more and more violent against it and we might go back to "dum tek tek" craps. After all, Russia and Greece sent bigger shits this year and they did make it and that's way worse to me than TRT's honnest tries.

6. Serbia
The only one of my faves participating tonight. The song's great and she delivered vocally, performance. It's one of the very rare ones where the screen worked great for. Overall, it's the most worthy of qualification and I hope Serbia gets higher than last year (I had them 3rd already last year and was disappointed at the 13th place). It's late draw is good too.

7. Russia
A huge disaster. He cant sing a single note properly, the radioactive dancers looked awful (the boys themselves are rather cute though), the routine was lame, dated, just like that song that has nothing modern (RedOne proved to be terrible as a songwriter this year). Sad it made it through but Russia of all countries get pts from everyone (baltics alike caucasus) and of course would make it. With televote on its side, Russia will be top 12 but could it sit, for the third year in a row, just outside the top 10? I hope so.

8. Switzerland
I will always value music over routine craps and mainstream radio-friendly. This was very cute, nice, simple, efficient. I do think they twisted it the wrong way: think about it in a much nicer outfit, more jazzy retro than shiny red, and a more simplistic performance and screen, something all black with just light effects, and this would be the Tom Dice of the year. The cheezy happy always work truly (Portugal 2009) but it can't work all the way. I'm very glad it qualified coz it's great as an entry but it could be a tad better.

9. Georgia
Probably the best screen of the night. Another one with crazy outfits (i call it the Xbox dress) but like Moldova 2010 it works because people understand that it's over the top on purpose (and not just lame). Her vocals werent all that great here and there but overall they were in place and the song's among the stronger ones of the year. Plus it's very different than Georgian previous entries, so you won't see me complain about it making the final cut.

10. Finland
Now in the top 10 of bookies, people still think it has the Tom Dice factor. Plus going first is great both for him and for eurovision (and it's good it's that far away from Amaury). The screen was perfect, the song's nice enough. And he's got a cutie lil smile. But god those lyrics did not change over ngiht, they are still the cheesiest ones of the year and sometimes you just wanna smash his face with a guitar since the lyrics are so dumb and he plays too much on the "nice cutie me". I think it's a very well deserved and not that surprising qualification. I hope Finland does well again but i'd be so mad that environmentalist crap would win, after Lordi, for Finland.

11. Malta
Everyone went "wow that's a gay monkey" and apart from that I can't add more. He seemed to have fun, good for him, we were bored off our asses through though. Yes Malta has no friendly votes so they need the big guns (and yes I do mean Chiara) to make it. Else, with such amateur songs, the last place is for them for sure.

12. San Marino
Hopefully they wont be last but they could be. Just like some very nice songs in the past came last for what seems to us no obvious reasons (Switzerland 98), the reason is, "it's nice". Every time someone thinks a song is nice then they might also not vote for it coz it doesn't awe them and in the end they think such a nice tune can do ok enough to make it without their votes. With the juries vote I doubt San marino will be last, it was vocally decent (in comparison to some that says a lot) and she looked great, the live was nice. I would have liked it more than lithuania, the ballad of the night making it.

13. Croatia
Awful vocals, disgusting song (very lame, dated, cheesy and annoying, all at once) and they managed to make it worse with the worst possible very heavy routines (three dance changes really). Like they didnt learn from last year that big heavy props never work on esc stage: people want to believe, to identify, to rely, to get entertained, not to get "poorly impressed". ANd then she went down three steps, then back up and opened her arms. Gosh Id love if this one came last. It's mine for sure.

14. Iceland
With Switzerland making it, I wouldnt have bet they would too. But both making it is a great outcome to anyone who likes esc for what it is. The background made no sense and didnt work with the song, but they were spot on vocally and emotionnaly so there arent many surprises that this was gonna please some people. Now probably Switzerland and Iceland played differently: one must have made it through televote the other through jury, and we'll see which one makes the better ranking on saturday. I obviously don't see Iceland that high actually.

15. Hungary
Very disappointed it wasn't the Kate Ryan of the year. Huge fans' fave but it's horrendous. I hate the schlagerish sound of it all, and I thought she looked horrible (that 80s hair, the awful dress shape and color... the very lame dancers, them too radioactive). Everything was made to be a fans fave and I hate it. Now she made it through, I hope going 5 will increae the fact it's just typical and not that interesting to see her die in the final.

16. Portugal
Not funny, hard for people to get the humour and the political meaning at once. It was 3 minutes not of laughter but of "what the hell *scratch my head* oh wait i dont care" and people moved on. I already have.

17. Lithuania
After Malta 2009 & Portugal 2010, the disney ballad with a good voice made it through again, and probably again thanks to the sole juries. Oh well, it's nice to see the baltics back for once (they've been doing so bad lately, though everyone knows I think Estonia should have won almost twice in a row) but this will never work out for me, especially with the lame french title.

18. Azerbaijan
I like how people (and by that i mean esc queens and fags out there) kept moaning how the Danish couple last year had no charisma together (and they finished 4th). Well if they had no charisma together then I wonder what you can call the lack of charisma in this one. Wow they are terrible together. Vocally she's lame. The song's a modern pop ballad that I can understand as a contender for a top 5 but they're just a no. Overall it's very typical and expected it just doesnt do it for me and I doubt it'll do it enough to people to make it a winner. I see it more as a Georgia last year, around 8th-9th. Hopefully.

19. Greece
IF you can call that "rap", coz i like some rap and that wasnt it, that was just a guy barely talking (didnt hear a word he was saying) in no melody at all with three guys shaking it and a hottie hunk singing greek folklore. Well no, sorry to all my friends who like it for reasons left unknown, i hoped the live would help me see it, but it made it worse. This is another lame greek attempt to please with the eye (who can see that singer isnt cute?) but without a song nicely put together. It's not well crafted, it's messy, it's boring and it annoys the hell out of me. The fact it went last and that it's Greece probably helped but please oh please I so much hope for Greece to discover the bottom 5 once again. It's been so long and they've deserved it for so long too now.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1495.msg37652#msg37652

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2011, 08:35:28 PM »
1. Serbia
2. Switzerland
3. Georgia
4. Iceland
5. Finand
6. San Marino
7. Turkey
-
8. Norway
9. Lithuania
10. Azerbaijan
11. Albania
12. Russia
13. Poland
14. Hungary
-
15. Portugal
16. Greece
17. Malta
18. Armenia
19. Croatia

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1495.msg37653#msg37653

Offline Niko

• Escvibes Friend
  • fan of Arlene Francis
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2011, 08:50:45 PM »
Oh Morgan, Morgan. I think I was watching a different tv show. Actually I liked the stage, the background, the lyrics of the Finnish songs which were not about love, just like most of the songs ( I really dislike typical love lyrics).  I actually liked most of the songs, but I disliked Georgia, Armenia, Croatia, Turkey and maybe Poland. In a random order Finland, Hungary, Lithuania, Switzerland,  Russia, Malta, Serbia, Azerbaidjan, Iceland and Greece made my top 10. I enjoyed the tv show, even if the Finnish commentators had to use their personal mobile phones to be heard.

And one thing more, Morgan, something which I have told you also a couple of times before: Hate less and like more, so the world and everything it gives will look much nicer.  :)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1495.msg37655#msg37655
Åland forever!

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2011, 09:06:47 PM »
I enjoyed the tv show, even if the Finnish commentators had to use their personal mobile phones to be heard.
oh yes i forgot that Germany, Germany of all people, couldn't make that work... technical difficulties put shame to Eurovision which should be spotless.

I try to be positive and I was for Serbia :innocent:
the second semi is much stronger as far as songs and singers go, so hopefully I'll be nicer, plus I won't have to say how much i disliked the stage and hosts this one time around... maybe it'll grow on me...

It's funny coz a few months ago you were so bored of esc niko and i was much into the NFs and now it's the other way around... oh well...

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1495.msg37657#msg37657

Offline Niko

• Escvibes Friend
  • fan of Arlene Francis
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2011, 09:18:10 PM »

It's funny coz a few months ago you were so bored of esc niko and i was much into the NFs and now it's the other way around... oh well...

Times change, you know!  8) Anyway, I must say that I became interested in ESC 2011 this monday, when I understood that Finland will be in the semifinal 1 the next day, until that, I nearly didn't give a thought to the whole thing.  ;D I still now can't remember which song is which and who is performing for which country.  :-[

But now, let's go to watch the 2nd semifinal, because I have 2 things in my mind which I want to see:

1) How huge failure do the Irish twins do ?  - and
2) Will Eric break the glass ?

See you again tomorrow, when we know the answers to the both questions.  :laugh:

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1495.msg37658#msg37658
Åland forever!

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2011, 10:59:51 AM »
Here's an interesting fact... in 2008 first semi final, the only one with also 43 songs and therefore 19 songs per semi, Greece also went last and finished 1st while the song that came right before (Russia in 2008 Azerbaijan in 2010) ended up winning the contest in the finale above Greece (3rd in 2008, 7th in 2010 but 3rd of televoting only)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1495.msg37849#msg37849