Author Topic: ESC 2011 - Semi-final 2  (Read 2638 times)

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
ESC 2011 - Semi-final 2
« on: May 12, 2011, 01:57:40 PM »
Eurovision Song Contest 2011
Semi-final 2

• The second semi-final will take place in Esprit Arena in Düsseldorf on 12 May 2011.
  • The ten countries in this semi-final with the highest scoring points, according to a combination of televotes and jury votes from each voting country, will qualify for the final.
  • France, Germany and Italy will vote in this semi-final.

01. Bosnia & Herzegovina: Dino Merlin - Love In Rewind
02. Austria: Nadine Beiler - The Secret Is Love   
03. Netherlands: 3JS - Never Alone
04. Belgium: Witloof Bay - With Love Baby
05. Slovakia: TWiiNS - I'm Still Alive 
06. Ukraine: Mika Newton - Angel
07. Moldova: Zdob şi Zdub - So Lucky
08. Sweden: Eric Saade - Popular
09. Cyprus: Christos Mylordos - San aggelos s'agapisa
10. Bulgaria: Poli Genova - Na inat
11. Macedonia: Vlatko Ilievski - Rusinka
12. Israel: Dana International - Ding Dong
13. Slovenia: Maja Keuc - No One
14. Romania: Hotel FM - Change
15. Estonia: Getter Jaani - Rockefeller Street
16. Belarus: Anastasia Vinnikova - I Love Belarus
17. Latvia: Musiqq - Angel in Disguise
18. Denmark: A Friend In London - New Tomorrow
19. Ireland: Jedward - Lipstick

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1497.msg37650#msg37650
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
Psalm 23:4

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
Re: ESC 2011 - Semi-final 2
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 01:10:42 PM »
Qualified:

Bosnia & Herzegovina
Austria
Ukraine
Moldova
Sweden
Slovenia
Romania
Estonia
Denmark
Ireland

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1497.msg37660#msg37660
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 01:20:05 PM »
My top 10:

1. Estonia
2. FYR Macedonia
3. Slovakia
4. Romania
5. Ireland
6. Ukraine
7. Sweden
8. Bosnia & Herzegovina
9. Bulgaria
10. Austria

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1497.msg37661#msg37661

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 11:20:11 PM »
OK time for my quick review of Semi 2.

Firstly - overall a much better semi than the first one particularly in terms of the song quality.

1. Bosnia & Herzegovina - dreadful performance of a very average song.  Everything about it was messy and the vocal was off most of the song.
2. Austria - such a contrast vocally from Dino.  Boy can Nadine sing.  Yes the song is a giant ballad cliché but as everyone knows I'm a sucker for a big voiced female ballad...so naturally I loved it
3. Netherlands - the song has really grown on me in recent weeks and I thought vocally it was a steady performance.  However the performance aspect of it was just non-existent which led to it's non-qualification
4. Belgium - Really not sure what to say about this other than it was really really painful to listen to.
5. Slovakia - So dull I probably fell asleep watching it.
6. Ukraine - apparently there was a song that accompanied the rather wonderful sand artist...I heard some screeching but no discernable tune.
7. Moldova - messy song, messy performance, too noisy and what the heck was with the headgear???.  I was amazed it qualified to be honest
8. Sweden - surprised me actually because vocally he wasn't actually as bad as I was expecting.  He is still overly smug, and the song is cheaper than a 2-bit whore so I was hoping for it to flop...and following the draw in the final it may well do
9. Cyprus - always loved the song but the performance was just a little strange.  However vocally he wasn't too bad (but had apparently been better in the rehearsals).
10. Bulgaria - one of those songs that you enjoy listening to when it's playing...but then forget it completely as soon as it's finished.  For me Poli was a little bit shouty at times
11. Macedonia - really don't remember a single thing about the performance or the song.  Possible last placer
12. Israel - it was a decent enough performance from Dana - but the song was just so incredibly lame.
13. Slovenia - My favourite song of the year.  I was never convinced about the English version but I have to say that apart from the costume Maja gave a superb performance.  Vocally one of the best of the night.
14. Romania - a very good vocal and a really catchy song.  Deserved it's qualification
15. Estonia - I just don't get it at all.  Why is this incredibly ordinary song a big fan fave?  The performance did nothing to convince me either as vocally she's very weak indeed.
16. Belarus - my guilty pleasure as far as songs go but the performance was absolutely woeful :doh:
17. Latvia - OMG!!!!!!!! What an absolute mess of a performance.  The orange guy was moving at completely random moments and the other bloke with glasses wasn't much better.
18. Denmark - I've said all along this is a dark horse.  After that performance I still stand by that.  It was competent but there is more to give...such a shame that it got #3.
19. Ireland - I would love to spend a huge amount of time posting some really horrible words about these two talentless pineapple haired idiots...but I won't.  Needless to say they song is only marginally less vile than they are :disgust:

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1497.msg37663#msg37663
Blue, Blue, Blue, Johnny Blue
Welche Farbe hat die Sonne?

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 11:27:07 PM »
Pre-semi  ranking

1. Slovenia
2. Cyprus
3. Belarus
4. Netherlands
5. Denmark
6. Austria
7. Romania
8. Bulgaria
9. Latvia
10. Ukraine
11. Bosnia & Herzegovina
12. Estonia
13. Macedonia
14. Israel
15. Slovakia
16. Sweden
17. Moldova
18. Belgium
19. Ireland

POST-SEMI RANKING
1. Slovenia
2. Cyprus
3. Netherlands
4. Denmark
5. Austria
6. Romania
7. Bulgaria
8. Israel
9. Belarus
10. Ukraine
11. Sweden
12. Estonia
13. Macedonia
14. Bosnia & Herzegovina
15. Belgium
16. Slovakia
17. Latvia
18. Moldova
19. Ireland

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1497.msg37664#msg37664
Blue, Blue, Blue, Johnny Blue
Welche Farbe hat die Sonne?

Offline Niko

• Escvibes Friend
  • fan of Arlene Francis
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 03:40:47 PM »
Here is how I ranked the songs on thursday evening w6hen watching at the semifinal:

1. Cyprus
2. Denmark
3. Romania
4. Macedonia
5. Slovenia
6. Austria
7. The Netherlands
8. Estonia
9. Sweden
10. Belgium

11. Ukraine
12. Bulgaria
13. Israel
14. Latvia
15. Bosnia & Herzegovina - the biggest disappointment of the night for the same reasons what Ian wrote before.
16. Moldova
17. Ireland
18. Belarussia
19. Slovakia.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1497.msg37667#msg37667
Åland forever!