Author Topic: ESC 2011 - Final  (Read 2610 times)

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
ESC 2011 - Final
« on: May 14, 2011, 06:35:44 PM »
Eurovision Song Contest 2011
Final

• The final will take place in Esprit Arena in Düsseldorf on 14 May 2011.
  • Five countries are automatically qualified for the final: France, Germany, Italy, Spain and United Kingdom.
  • Twenty countries from the two semi-finals on 10 and 12 May 2011 qualified for the final. A total of twenty-five countries will compete in the final.
  • A combination of televotes and jury votes will decide the winner. Viewers will be able to vote during the performances; the voting window will end 15 minutes after the conclusion of the songs.

01. Finland: Paradise Oskar - Da Da Dam
02. Bosnia & Herzegovina: Dino Merlin - Love In Rewind
03. Denmark: A Friend In London - New Tomorrow
04. Lithuania: Evelina Sašenko - C'est Ma Vie
05. Hungary: Kati Wolf - What About My Dreams?
06. Ireland: Jedward - Lipstick
07. Sweden: Eric Saade - Popular
08. Estonia: Getter Jaani - Rockefeller Street
09. Greece: Loukas Giorkas feat. Stereo Mike - Watch My Dance
10. Russia: Alexey Vorobyov - Get You
11. France: Amaury Vassili - Sognu
12. Italy: Raphael Gualazzi - Madness Of Love
13. Switzerland: Anna Rossinelli - In Love For A While
14. United Kingdom: Blue - I Can
15. Moldova: Zdob şi Zdub - So Lucky
16. Germany: Lena - Taken By A Stranger
17. Romania: Hotel FM - Change
18. Austria: Nadine Beiler - The Secret Is Love
19. Azerbaijan: Ell and Nikki - Running Scared
20. Slovenia: Maja Keuc - No One
21. Iceland: Sigurjón's Friends - Coming Home
22. Spain: Lucía Pérez - Que Me Quiten Lo Bailao
23. Ukraine: Mika Newton - Angel
24. Serbia: Nina - Čaroban
25. Georgia: Eldrine - One More Day

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1499.msg37669#msg37669
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
Psalm 23:4

Offline Niko

• Escvibes Friend
  • fan of Arlene Francis
Re: ESC 2011 - Final
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 05:58:18 PM »
About the results

I must say like the good old Terry Wogan said already several years ago during commentating voting in ESC: "I have been doing this already more than 20 years, but I still don't know anything about Eurovision Song Contest!" I have been watching ESC sine 1989 when I was 7 and I must say that this is one of the worst winners which will be forgotten soon.  :doh:

I enjoyed seeing Italy 2nd, it would have been a majestic winner compared Azerbaijan.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1499.msg37671#msg37671
Åland forever!

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 11:39:01 PM »
If you think it's bad for you Niko I've been watching since 1981 and I'm still totally clueless as to what goes on in the minds of voters.  I think this is possibly the worst top 3 in the entire history of ESC.

OK - my review of last night's performances

1. Finland - another great vocal from Axel but the draw sunk him completely.  There is no way on Earth that this song or performance deserved a place in the bottom 5 :(
2. Bosnia & Herzegovina - it was better than the Semi-Final vocally but the rest of the performance still looked very messy indeed. 
3. Denmark - another decent performance from the guys.  I think the reason for this songs success was the catchy chorus that just gets in your brain and stays there
4. Lithuania - another great vocal from Evelina.  The song is Disney-esque and very Americanised but Evelina's vocal deserved to be in the final
5. Hungary - I think the performance in the final was slightly better than in the semi.  There was a couple off notes in the first chorus but overall it was a decent performance.  As I expected though it was never going to challenge
6. Ireland - I still find them hideously annoying and I find the song horrendously irritating - but there's no doubt that their energetic performance (whilst not as anarchic as when they were in X Factor) got them their Top 10 placing
7. Sweden - I find Eric almost as irritating as Jedward.  The vocal wasn't as polished as it was in the Semi but still overrall it was a very professional and effective performance
8. Estonia - this song has confused me since it was chosen.  I never understood why it was a big fan favourite and nothing in her very ordinary performance persuaded me otherwise - and her result proved me right.
9. Greece - quite how this won Semi 1 remains a complete mystery to me.  The rap was dreadful again and I don't think Loukas was as good as he was in the semi either.  Surprised to see it top 10 to be honest.
10. Russia - the intro completely ruins the song and his performance last night was nowhere near as good as it was in the semi - and even then it wasn't crash hot anyway.  I expected it to do slightly better though
11. France - the first 20 seconds completely ruined him vocally.  I was actually surprised to hear a couple of bad notes from him.  He got it back though and really finished well.  15th was still very underrated for this
12. Italy - a complete and unmitigated mess of a song.  Tuneless and I'm not even sure what language he was singing in.  Apparently there was some English in there but I'll be darned if I heard any.  For a song as poor as this to finish 2nd is an absolute travesty.
13. Switzerland - another one who wasn't as good in the final as she was in the semi...but last place was totally undeserved.  It's a sweet song and Anna is a charming performer.
14. United Kingdom - absolutely dreadful start to the song not sure if it was sound problems or just bad vocals but it effectively ruined any chance the song had of doing well...not that 11th place with 100 points is a bad result.
15. Moldova - a complete mess of a song and a performance.  It really was non-sensical.  Not sure what the unicyclist had to do with anything.  No surprise at the 12 from Romania but was surprised that anyone else voted for it
16. Germany - watching this performance I kinda forgot about Lena altogether it seemed all about the dancers in their hideous silver suits :doh:
17. Romania - polished performance and very surprised that we didn't vote for it considering that the singer is English.  Decent vocals and a catchy song it really deserved much more
18. Austria - Nadine has a sensational voice.  To start a song with no accompaniment takes a good singer.  The song is cliched slightly but the voice deserved every point it got and more.
19. Azerbaijan - 2 singers singing off key with all the charisma of a cauliflower = ESC victory ??? Such an ordinary song too.  Almost as confusing a winner as the one 10 years ago for me :shrug:
20. Slovenia - the 3rd of the big voiced women...and the best of the bunch for me.  Another fantastic performance from Maja that deserved much more than 13th place
21. Iceland - I'm beginning to wonder if Icelanders can sing out of tune.  Another faultless vocal from the guys.  Lovely song too.
22. Spain - she looked like she was having so much fun out there...but the song just wasn't going to challenge anything.  The bottom 5 was no surprise
23. Ukraine - It still seems that it was a song accompanying the sand artist rather than the other way round.  When you actually listen to it though Mika actually gave a decent vocal.
24. Serbia - still never quite understood the appeal of this song.  It's nice enough but very unremarkable.  Nina gave a decent performance though
25. Georgia - noisy end to the contest - but I still like it.  Evanescence like song that was performed quite well.  There were times at the end of the chorus that were a bit shouty but overall it was a decent performance.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1499.msg37673#msg37673
Blue, Blue, Blue, Johnny Blue
Welche Farbe hat die Sonne?

Offline Karel

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 12:03:09 PM »
About the results

I must say like the good old Terry Wogan said already several years ago during commentating voting in ESC: "I have been doing this already more than 20 years, but I still don't know anything about Eurovision Song Contest!" I have been watching ESC sine 1989 when I was 7 and I must say that this is one of the worst winners which will be forgotten soon.  :doh:

I enjoyed seeing Italy 2nd, it would have been a majestic winner compared Azerbaijan.

So true. I don't like the winning song. Italy was a nice surprise, and Belgium's 11th place in the 2nd semi-final too (we missed the final by only 1 point) :)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1499.msg37675#msg37675

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 08:07:17 PM »
i will update my list, with full analysis in a couple of days, ive done all my PhD work for the year, now all that's left is grading students' paper :P

and there's a lot of analysis the split voting gives us a LOT of information this year, and you'll see why im very mixed about esc 2011 it's following the usual good roads back to good entertainment, but the whole show was horrible and the results are very disappointing

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1499.msg37696#msg37696