Author Topic: YOUR RANKING OF THE SONGS 2012  (Read 30185 times)

Offline rapsodia

• Escvibes Team
Re: YOUR RANKING OF THE SONGS 2012
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2012, 04:24:58 AM »
we have 8 songs in common in the top 10, the two you knocked out are in your top 20 and the two you have that I don't are my 18th and 22nd... it's starting to get spooky how well we agree from now on, except for my 27th and 26th in your top 20 which I think you overrate, this is almost the perfectest ranking i've seen this year (in terms only on how much you agree with me) with the one exception of Togravus who is just basically a second me... thanks again for the long explanations and hoping very much to see we share the same winner... let me guess your top 3: Serbia, Albania and Iceland?

:no:

Not this time. In fact my winner is probably your 18th, but we'll wait and see of course.
Still this much agreement is more than enough for sure. I'm happy that there's almost no big discord among the three of us this year (well maybe except Sweden). Let's wait and see what Niko will bring to the table.  :scratch:

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1679.msg42214#msg42214

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2012, 05:39:12 AM »
well looking at my before esc ranking and what i said on both yours and ian's rankings, i bet one can figure out my ranking, so im assuming you understood which song i have 18th and i must admit i dont get why you'd have it before the other 9 as they're all stronger or at least 8 of them are :cry: :( ^-^ >:(

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1679.msg42215#msg42215

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2012, 10:27:01 AM »
Thank you for your very interesting reviews, Ian and Can!  :goodjob: I really enjoy reading them. :) You both give good explanations for your choices.

Personally I would have preferred Belgium above Iceland. You both have Iceland in your top 10 and to me it's a cute song, but also a little bit boring. I liked the ballads from Belgium and Finland much more, but that's just a matter of taste. ;)

And I totally agree with you on Greece, Can. Before the show I thought that it would be another "Secret Combination", but during the performance in the first semi-final I somehow changed my mind. Still horrible lyrics and the song became boring after two minutes, but the whole performance was okay and Eleftheria looked simply amazing. As you described, "she has a particular way of being totally sexy without going crassly trashy".

Great to see Spain and Italy in both top 10's. Looking forward to see your final top 10, Can!

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1679.msg42216#msg42216
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
Psalm 23:4

Offline rapsodia

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2012, 01:23:05 PM »
i must admit i dont get why you'd have it before the other 9 as they're all stronger or at least 8 of them are :cry: :( ^-^ >:(

Not for me. She's certainly the strongest one of them all by far (after the live performance, before she was ahead by very little) even though her song is not exactly. Anyway this whole issue is already covered in the review to come. I knew from the beginning that you wouldn't agree with that winner but I never thought you'd be surprised by that choice from me. I mean just with a glimpse at my previous winners that seems to make perfectly sense to me, am I wrong here?  ???

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1679.msg42217#msg42217

Offline rapsodia

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2012, 02:11:36 PM »
Personally I would have preferred Belgium above Iceland. You both have Iceland in your top 10 and to me it's a cute song, but also a little bit boring. I liked the ballads from Belgium and Finland much more, but that's just a matter of taste. ;)

And I totally agree with you on Greece, Can.

Oh, it's a relief to know that I'm not 100% alone about Greece in this forum.  :hug:

And your statement about Belgium and Iceland perfectly illustrates the importance of subjectivity not only at ESC, but evaluating every possible form of art. I know very well from experience that a song, a book, a movie that genuinely passionates someone may sincerely bore another one to tears. That's why for me the minimum of objectivity we can reach about works of art (or just entertainment) can solely be obtained by the maximum of subjectivities put together. And that's another reason to look forward to other people's complete rankings. Including yours Remy!  ;)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1679.msg42218#msg42218

Offline Danijel

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2012, 04:14:01 PM »
Very interesting top 10 Can! 7 of the the 10 used to be in my top 15 (with 5 being at the top 10). however 2 of them are in my bottom 5  :o
This is really interesting ranking! :)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1679.msg42220#msg42220

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2012, 05:39:52 PM »
Not for me. She's certainly the strongest one of them all by far (after the live performance, before she was ahead by very little) even though her song is not exactly. Anyway this whole issue is already covered in the review to come. I knew from the beginning that you wouldn't agree with that winner but I never thought you'd be surprised by that choice from me. I mean just with a glimpse at my previous winners that seems to make perfectly sense to me, am I wrong here?  ???
I think she was proved not to be. She's my #2 in terms of vocals, but then everything else I dislike, hate the dress, hate the performance and most of all find the song terribly dull. I'll talk in length about it, because it's right there at 18 (just like you) and saved only by the idea of "class act" behind it... usually your winners are not just classy, they offer much more wildth and depth to their entries... it'll be one of your dullest esc winners ever, songwise one of the worst too

and i won't talk in niko's name but i know his esc 2012 winner and we both have it in our top 20 but not top 10 and I know he really dislikes your esc winner too ;)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1679.msg42224#msg42224

Offline rapsodia

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2012, 05:59:01 PM »
I think she was proved not to be. She's my #2 in terms of vocals, but then everything else I dislike, hate the dress, hate the performance and most of all find the song terribly dull. I'll talk in length about it, because it's right there at 18 (just like you) and saved only by the idea of "class act" behind it... usually your winners are not just classy, they offer much more wildth and depth to their entries... it'll be one of your dullest esc winners ever, songwise one of the worst too

and i won't talk in niko's name but i know his esc 2012 winner and we both have it in our top 20 but not top 10 and I know he really dislikes your esc winner too ;)

Greece 2006, Croatia 1998, Italy 1997, Iceland 1990, Israel 1988, Spain 1985, Cyprus 1982... Don't you find all those more or less dull?  :shrug: This one will be among them I guess.

I can't really say anything about the wildness but the depth I find it here. Not much in the song but definitely in the performance. And a minor detail but the dress is my absolute favorite, not only from this year but for the last three years. I simply love it. :heart:

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1679.msg42229#msg42229

Offline rapsodia

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2012, 06:00:15 PM »
Very interesting top 10 Can! 7 of the the 10 used to be in my top 15 (with 5 being at the top 10). however 2 of them are in my bottom 5  :o
This is really interesting ranking! :)

:o
Now that's wild!
I'm really intrigued to see your list now.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1679.msg42230#msg42230

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2012, 06:05:07 PM »
Greece 2006, Croatia 1998, Italy 1997, Iceland 1990, Israel 1988, Spain 1985, Cyprus 1982... Don't you find all those more or less dull?  :shrug: This one will be among them I guess.
most of them are either in my top 10 or very close to it and are definitely higher than 60/100

I do love the fact we both figured it out and still keep it "secret" which song we're talking about lol
the dress is definitely ugly, gosh, no wonder you wouldn't like Rona's :doh:

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1679.msg42233#msg42233

Offline rapsodia

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2012, 11:39:20 PM »
And now we're wrapping things up with the Top Ten:

10. ITALY: I first knew Nina Zilli a couple of years ago when one of her songs was featured in Turkish/Italian filmmaker Ferzan Özpetek’s “Mine vaganti”. Ever since then I’ve been following her career and I think she’s one of the most fascinating singers of this decade in Europe. So, I was fully excited when she was announced as this year’s Italian entrant. Her San Remo song Per sempre was one of my favorites there and even if I was somewhat worried about the necessary truncation of the song I was still thrilled. Then it was announced that the song was changed and when I first heard the new entry I felt totally frustrated. No, it was not a bad song by any means but compared to the complexity of the first one it was too frivolous, light and even childish. Of course it was not in the same league with most of the other up-tempo songs of the year such as Cyprus and Norway, plus Nina like many other singers this year was a performer capable of rising above her material. Surprisingly the bilingual version somewhat worked for me just as it did last year. Apparently I find Italian and English languages rather compatible in song. Until the final night this was among the least of my personal favorites (famous Top 18 I mean) and I couldn’t help finding it overrated by fans. But with her live performance Nina simply blew me away. While in her own right she’s a perfectly fine singer she’s not really in the same league as a vocalist as some of the other artists this year. But her unique stage presence and her perfect interpretation of this “not that special” song put her among the very best of the year in my eyes. With a lower top ten finish she actually got what the song deserved I believe. What would have happened had she kept Per sempre? That, we’ll never know of course. Maybe with another ballad she’d get lost among stronger vocalists or maybe since the juries this year seem no to get enough of ballads she would have scored better with them. One thing is sure though: With that song she would have been much higher in this particular list. (74/100) (23/39) (355/1280)

9. ISRAEL: This song was an instant love affair for me. I knew that it could be too quirky and too bizarre for this contest but I enjoyed every aspect of it in the studio: melody, lyrics, singing, arrangements, even the language shift. Live was not that spectacular I must admit. Musically speaking there wasn’t much wrong about it but as a whole it was just too messy. Yes, the song itself has an “untidy” quality about it but these are two totally different things. The staging here should have been much more carefully designed (as in the Moldovan case) to be able to give that casual playfulness which the song contains effortlessly. But instead of that an effortless stage performance only made the song sound as messy as the visuals. Too bad, because this was a bit of a fresh air both for the contest and for the usual Israeli entries. With that performance it was not meant to be but for the sake of the song it should have still qualified. We’ll always have that perfect studio version anyways. (76/100) (10/35) (301/1280)

8. TURKEY: It’s always difficult to review your home country’s entry. However I can be slightly more objective about it this time around, because I don’t think that I know much more about my namesake Can Bonomo, than most of you do. I’d never ever heard his name before TRT announced it on New Year’s Eve. Subsequently I learned that he was a Turkish Jew (or a Jewish Turk?) from İzmir, he was a TV actor first and he had released an album consisting of his own songs in 2011. After seeking out some of his work I came to the conclusion that he was a somewhat promising new musician whose particular way of singing irritated me quite a lot at first but I then I got used to it. His music on the other hand was way above average for the modern Turkish music market with multiple ethnic influences and more importantly a sense of personality in it. His ESC song is lighter than his usual stuff and obviously more instant but I don’t mean it in a bad way, because it also contains almost all essential elements of his own music so far. I think the weakest part in the studio version is the lyrics and after the live performance I felt sure that this song would have been more interesting for foreigners if it were in Turkish. After seeing some of his earlier live performance I was seriously worried about his live vocals on the big night. While he was quite weak indeed it was not exactly a catastrophe. Honestly I’d have preferred if he had a couple of backing singers at the expense of two dancers but it seems that the mostly generic and slightly contrived choreography actually worked well with televoters. This song would never do well with juries but with some backing singers to cover Can’s weak vocals, it could have done slightly better with them. But after all, the place he got in the final was very good and actually a couple of steps higher than I expected. Because of the weak vocals it’s not that easy to defend this entry for me but I’m still proud with it (I must also say that this was the most positively regarded Turkish entry among non-fan Turkish people for quite some time) and actually don’t think we’re overrated for once. (77/100) (7/34) (290/1280)

7. ICELAND: One of the consistently strongest ESC countries of the last few years (in terms of musical quality only, sadly not results-wise) didn’t disappoint this time either. I must admit that the first time I heard the Icelandic version I wasn’t completely sold. Somehow the English version improved this one for me. Probably very good lyrics and great pronunciation didn’t hurt. Just before the contest it finally hit my Top Five. Alas the semi final performance felt unexpectedly underwhelming to me. Visually there was not much wrong with it. Maybe Jonsi’s facial expressions were a tad too dramatic but that’s all. On the other hand vocals were far from perfect which is quite surprising for an Icelandic entry. For the last five years or so almost none of the Icelandic ESC singers hit a single false note and that raised the bar for this country significantly. That’s why even if their vocals were far from atrocious they still failed to impress. Luckily things got better in the Grand Final and vocal problems were reduced to a minimum. But this time around coming right after the Babushki cost them a great deal. Not one single person in our party paid any attention to them or their beautifully haunting song because everyone was still talking about the adorable old ladies. I still think they could have done better with a late draw and honestly they should have. Even with slightly flawed vocals this song deserved a Top Ten finish.   (82/100) (3/25) (189/1280)

6. ALBANIA: Just like Israel this was another instant love affair. I was immediately struck by Rona’s incredibly powerful performance and mysterious song. While in time my fondness for the song waned a little, my admiration for the singer grew even stronger (especially her attitude during the winners’ conference after the semi made me almost fall in love with her, not to mention that she wrote herself those beautiful albeit slightly pretentious lyrics). I never had any doubt that she could easily qualify for the final, because no matter how outré her material was she was simply too strong to be ignored at least by the juries. After seeing her semi final performance I felt that she wouldn’t be totally overlooked by the televoters as well. All alone on that stage without making one single step still filling up the entire venue with that all mighty voice of hers, she simply stood up among the rest, which were good or bad all more or less the same kind, being totally different than everybody else. Yet especially after that horrible draw for the final all I was hoping for her was a spot between 9th and 12th place. The Top Five finish came as a shock to me as to almost everybody. Her choice of outfit might be debatable. Was it really necessary to make a political statement while singing a song called “Personal”? I don’t think so, but if it’s her choice then good for her. I knew that she was going straight to the Barbara Dex Award the moment I saw the entire outfit, because that particular award mostly goes to the most strangely dressed rather than the worst dressed. Still the bizarreness of the look undeniably helped her to be remembered and almost suited the song as well, since a classic frock would have undoubtedly felt more out of place with this kind of a performance. I say almost because I nevertheless believe that it was possible to find some middle ground without completely disregarding aesthetic pleasantness for the sake of uniqueness. I say this particularly because I find this is exactly what this entry is all about. It’s one of the most avant-garde songs of the year and almost too strange for this or any other song contest, however it is performed with such an elegant and aesthetically pleasing way that even most conservative audience members should stop and take notice. I think that aspect of the musicality was consciously or not neglected in styling and this is only a minor quibble for me. There are two bigger problems for which I had to drop this one out of my own personal top five (and I’m still mourning for it, she would have been in my top three in 2011, 2010, 2008 etc.) : Firstly I find the song a little overblown. Thanks to Rona’s no-take-prisoners type of interpretation it leaves a huge first impression however it never improves from there on (well at least in my experience). To me this is a novelty act and a showcase for an improbably powerful performer but not a timeless work of art, but of course time might prove me wrong here. My second problem is that as impactful as Rona’s interpretation was on the night  it was from perfect technically speaking, especially in the final. Her higher notes often went faulty at the ends and even some lower one fell flat. Of course I know very well that this is an extremely difficult (if not impossible) song to sing live perfectly and I applaud Rona’s brave decision to perform it this way instead of a cold, technical approach. But after all, those flaws are just there (and more noticeable after the impact of the first impression dissipates), making this a “flawed jewel” as they say. Also the very end of the performance is just wrong for me from a theatrical point of view. She should have left the “crying” job to her near perfect screams throughout the song, since that weeping act at the end only cheapens the emotions she so efficiently transmitted before. (85/100) (1/9) (157/1280)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1679.msg42264#msg42264

Offline rapsodia

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2012, 11:39:52 PM »
5. ESTONIA: What a beautiful, gorgeous, marvelous song is this! And what a grower too… It started at #14 in my chart and after the show finally hit the top five (though I must say it’s almost a draw for me between Ott and Rona). My first impression for the live NF performance of this was “a pretty, well built ballad emotionally performed by a beautiful voice”. In fact that opinion didn’t exactly change but after each listening (even in studio version) its beauty felt a little bit enriched which is almost opposite of the Albanian song. During the rehearsals most reporters were complaining about Ott’s over-singing and how he could potentially mess up his own chances by spoiling the simple beauty of the song with his exaggerated vocals. So I was prepared myself to lose another one of my favorites in that frustrating second semi. However his performance that night was a complete, positive surprise to me. I loved the song even more than I ever did. Was he really over singing? I don’t think there’s an objective answer to this kind of “over”, “under” questions. It all depends on from where you look at it. In Ott’s case if you compare the live to the studio interpretation then the term “over”-singing might not be totally off. However I don’t think that anybody who isn’t familiar enough with that version would immediately think that this was “overdoing” it. Sure his vocals were significantly more exaggerated in the live performance and yes from time to time he even slightly altered the melody here and there (less in the final than the semi). But after all this is his own composition and I find that he has every right to play with it as it pleases to him as long as that sounds pleasant to the audience. And right at that point, I personally believe that he just did the right choice performing it this way. This was another strong ballad among many others this year and a subtle interpretation could have very well resulted with it being overlooked. However the showy, emotional and powerful way Ott sang it made it stand out (and of course coming right after Norway which was exact opposite of this in many ways didn’t really hurt) and after all he almost made the top five against all odds. Thankfully in my list there’s no “almost” for him! And I’m very glad that after last year’s unfunny joke of an entry Estonia is back to its usual high quality. (85/100) (4/18) (146/1280)

4. SWEDEN: So, here comes the success story of the year. Because I don’t follow the selection processes I didn’t listen to this song until it was officially chosen but I knew that it was a favorite among fans to win the whole thing even before winning its own national competition. So my first impression of the MF performance was underwhelming. The song sounded nice for a genre I’ve never really cared for and the whole performance looked unique but in a weird way rather than an interesting way. Based on first impressions I placed it just outside of my top ten. But then the hype started, or more properly the hype got bigger and my reaction slowly turned negative about it. However, right after the Sammarinese drama was resolved and all the entries were finally known, I went back to them all and visually speaking the Swedish entry was the most striking one second time around. I knew Loreen from last year’s MF entry and while I’d found the song weak she’d intrigued me as a charismatic performer with talent and personality. This time her song was much stronger and with her very personal but somehow not entirely inaccessible performance she made it something quite special. I still think it’s a perfect match of song and singer: Neither Euphoria is this year’s best song, nor Loreen is the best performer but the match of these two is simply magical. Ironically enough it was her performance at the Voice of Finland which even some of her ardent fans dislike for some reason that made me finally converted to Loreenism. There, outside of the usual MF staging, without the light effects, male dancers and even her own signature body movements she just stands still and belts her song out with gusto, technical skill and yet still a distinct personality. At that moment I fully understood that what we had there was not another quirky girl somehow managing to charm the audiences everywhere without much substance (I’m not naming any names but I think it’s no big secret who I had in my mind) but instead a true performing artist whose quirk comes directly from her inner eccentricity. Her semi final performance was great both vocally and visually and in the final she was even better. As it can be witnessed in this list there are still three entries I would prefer to this one, but still I can say without hesitation that she’s a truly deserved winner, the best of this decade so far. In fact had she lost I’d have probably felt gutted, even cheated, because just like in the Rybak (who was coincidentally also fourth in my own ranking) year there was a watertight consensus before the contest and when this many people agree on something there must be some truth to it. All in all Loreen is vocally the best winner (and by very far I’d say) since Marija Serifovic and she’s probably the most exciting one in more than a decade. I’m anxious to see how her post-contest career will play out. (87/100) (7/52) (111/1280)

3. PORTUGAL: The winner of my personal “most underrated” award! Now, I don’t want anybody to misunderstand me on this: I don’t claim that Portugal was objectively better than Sweden and deserved the victory more. Objectively speaking nobody deserved it more than Loreen and she won fair and square. But as so it happens I subjectively prefer three entries to that one and this list is only a subjective one. So the first of these three is Portugal and I bet that wouldn’t come as a surprise for anybody who knows my musical preferences. I love dramatic ballads, I love “fadoesque” sounds (even though this one is not even very close to real fado), I love Portuguese language, I mostly love Babic’s music so I immediately fell in love with this song too. I wasn’t expecting this to be a big hit among fans or televoters but still the thing the most baffled me about it throughout the entire season was that how many people complained about the “unmemorable” nature of this composition. I heard it only once when it was first chosen and couldn’t literally get the melody of the chorus out of my mind for entire weeks. I guess that must be something to do with a certain familiarity with this kind of music because frankly I cannot find any other explication. Whatever it was, this song was never meant to hit the top five or so from the get go. Still I was expecting juries to appreciate its subtle beauty and classy delivery enough to make it get to the final. But during the season the palpable lack of fan support (because normally among fans there is an audience for this sort of decidedly old-fashioned ballads) disappointed me and then I realized that this huge favorite of mine would probably stay in the semi. But even after it did happen I still can’t get over it. The song was one of the most beautiful in that selection while the performance was also clearly one of the best. I must say that I’m not really a fan of the singer as much as her song but she did a great job on the night and definitely cannot be blamed for the failure. She was vocally excellent and with the perfect backings (quite common for Portugal) the performance was as sharp as the studio without lacking the necessary emotions of a live rendition. With her classy outfit she was also probably the very best dressed of that night and with one of the most stunning backdrops of the year, visually it was nothing short of a treat for sore eyes. The only problem I have with Filipa is that while a very sweet looking young woman she doesn’t have that transcendental quality which distinguishes the great singers from the very good ones. If sung by a singer with the caliber of Vânia, the song could have done a much greater impact but I can understand that there are not many talents comparable to Vânia in Portugal, or in any country. Apparently this type of songs and entries no matter how high qualities they contain feel downright outdated now not only to televoters but also to juries and fans as well. But I won’t personally stop supporting them as long as they satisfy my personal musical needs. (88/100) (8/46) (102/1280)

2. SERBIA: Confession time again: I worship Zeljko. There’s not much to be shocked about though, I’m an unabashed ballad lover and practically a sucker for Balkan ballads. Since he seems to be the king of Balkan ballads I’d naturally be in awe of him. I know that he comes across as an arrogant ass in all his public appearances (when he’s not singing of course) and normally this should be a major turn off to me. However it doesn’t really change my admiration for him and his work. Since I give him that much credit I must be subconsciously convinced that he’s a total genius. Four entries as a composer with all in my all time top 100, now that’s simply unprecedented. Each one of his compositions feel like a journey kicking off from a certain mood and at the end arriving at a totally different one. That’s what I call a build-up and this one doesn’t disappoint either. I can understand that this might feel repetitive for some (and this is also why I don’t feel bad because he couldn’t beat Loreen, she was just fresher in any sense) but personally I can still find a unique soul in each one of his songs, without betraying the common elements of his overall music. The problem with returning artists (singers or composers) in this contest is that their latest work will always inevitably compared to the previous ones. In Zeljko’s case this is a slight disadvantage because his true masterpiece was his first ESC attempt and he’ll probably never be able to top that achievement even if he keeps trying. But after two (still wonderful) entries that were sung by other, quite competent singers I’ve realized this year that he’s almost as magical as a performer as he’s a songwriter. His impeccable singing both in studio and even more clearly in the live performance lifts up the already beautiful music. Maybe I would have preferred the staging even a little more simplistic, since the song and the voice were more than enough to blow away the audience. Still that’s no big problem and if I was basing this list only on songs this would be my winner. So if the song is the best of them all and the performance is pretty much perfect, why am I keeping this at the second place? Maybe I am also trapped by the quite illogical temptation of comparing it to Lane moje, or maybe the lady in my number one just enchanted me so much that I cannot think of any other personal winner for this year. Whichever the case is Zeljko will have to settle for another runner-up position (third in a row) as a composer. And as a performer he’s not joining my own personal multiple winners Anne-Marie David, Anna Vissi and Danijela Martinovic. Well at least not this year… (90/100) (3/6) (83/1280)

1. SPAIN: And now it’s all about Pastora! So let me handle the song issue first to get it over with it. In the old forum, trummelummer once wrote that Niamh Kavanagh would have won ESC ’93 even if she had sung Baila El Chiki-Chiki. I’m still not sure if I agree with that bold statement but I can see his point. And for this year I can safely state that Pastora Soler would have been my winner even if she had sung The Social Network Song or Beautiful Song. So no, I don’t think her song is the best song of the year and it’s obviously not a groundbreaking, earth shattering, game changing achievement. It’s just a very professionally put together, organically built classic ballad with a bridge to die for. There’s no way it could have been my winner with a lesser singer but unless it wasn’t murdered mercilessly, a decent performance would have been enough for me to put it in or around my top five. It’s exactly my cup of tea anyways and the most similar example I can come up with in the near ESC history is Vissi/Karvelas’ song Everything from 2006 which was coincidentally my winner that year just above another Joksimovic ballad. That one was another song I’d have still liked very much regardless of the singer but elevated to the “absolute love” realm by a magical performance. Yes, my threshold for “over” dramatics is quite high. This time around the performance in question is significantly less hysterical and vocally far superior. In fact this is one of the best vocal performances ever witnessed in the history of this contest. When I recently viewed her rehearsal videos I was even more astonished that she gave that flawless performance every single time, in each one of her rehearsals. Never holding back, she gave her all into the performance in each rendition without an exemption. That’s not only professionalism but also pure, natural talent. She’s simply born to sing. Even in a year full of powerful, great vocalists Pastora is head and shoulders above any of her rivals for me, because we’re talking about a Frida Boccara-like greatness here: A note perfect performance from start to finish not neglecting the emotional power of the words pronounced. Too bad that she didn’t have at her hands a master work such as Un jour un enfant. Of course she still wouldn’t have won, because this is simply Loreen’s year, but maybe that way she would have finished in top five and frankly this magnificent performer richly deserves that. We don’t know yet the split of votes but I hardly imagine public would have gone mad for this type of power ballad by a perfect vocalist. They didn’t go for it with Vânia, Kaas or the lesser ones from last year such as Nadine or Evelina, so I don’t see why they would have with Pastora. Logically, the somewhat respectable (albeit disappointing) tenth place makes me think that this entry must have finished in or very near the top five with juries. I can perfectly understand that they would prefer edgier stuff from Sweden, Albania, Serbia and Estonia, but I’ll seriously be furious if it turns out that they rated any of the other entries over this. I’m all ready to accept that even with the best performance (not only vocally but also visually, she was also the best dressed by far for me) Pastora didn’t really deserve to win but I refuse to believe that she was not good enough even for a fifth place. My only regret is she could have chosen another strong and more soulful ballad (the wonderful A ti springs to mind) from her last album which was eligible for the contest and that way I wouldn’t have to explain myself for this choice in so many words. (93/100) (2/52) (59/1280)  

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1679.msg42265#msg42265

Offline rapsodia

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2012, 11:50:20 PM »
Here's a recap of the full ranking:

1.   Spain
2.   Serbia
3.   Portugal
4.   Sweden
5.   Estonia
6.   Albania
7.   Iceland
8.   Turkey
9.   Israel
10.   Italy
11.   Netherlands
12.   Slovenia
13.   Croatia
14.   Macedonia
15.   United Kingdom
16.   Denmark
17.   Finland
18.   Bosnia Herzegovina
19.   Azerbaijan
20.   Moldova
21.   Germany
22.   Romania
23.   Ukraine
24.   Greece
25.   Lithuania
26.   Hungary
27.   Russia
28.   Malta
29.   Bulgaria
30.   Belarus
31.   Belgium
32.   Latvia
33.   Switzerland
34.   Norway
35.   Cyprus
36.   France
37.   Slovakia
38.   Ireland
39.   Montenegro
40.   San Marino
41.   Austria
42.   Georgia

And also here's an alternative Top Ten, how it WOULD look like if I based it solely on the song's merits. I mean without the vocals, studio arrangements and live presentation, just nude songs with only music and lyrics:

1. Serbia
2. Portugal
3. Estonia
4. Iceland
5. United Kingdom
6. Spain
7. Israel
8. Netherlands
9. Sweden
10. Denmark

I hope you enjoyed the review. It was quite a task to write it all up but a very fulfilling one too. Now I feel the closure I've needed and can start looking forward to 2013. :cheer:

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1679.msg42268#msg42268

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2012, 12:01:10 AM »
the two we disagree on are in your top 3 :doh:

you did try very hard to explain yourself, I just don't get how Spain can be higher than top 15 on any fair list... I'm sorry but I still think that song wise, we have one masterpiece of music and 41 songs (well 37 songs and the Montenegro, San Marino, Russia and Georgia horros aside)... 6th! I get it though, it's like "here are my fave 5 songs and the cool different one will be just outside the top 5" but that's definitely ignoring true music and what we should defend in esc... when showing esc 2012 to my non-esc fans friends, I feel ashame when Spain comes around, such a dated stupid dull song makes the contest look bad, even though Spain 2012 doesn't make it look as bad as Russia 2012 of course... why does someone like Pastora feel the need to send such disney-wanna be, a song that is so typical that there is absolutely no emotion coming out of this when you listen in audio? I mean this is basically the exact same song than the ones we've heard for the past 30 years from Céline Dion...

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1679.msg42270#msg42270

Offline rapsodia

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2012, 12:16:45 AM »
the two we disagree on are in your top 3 :doh:

you did try very hard to explain yourself, I just don't get how Spain can be higher than top 15 on any fair list... I'm sorry but I still think that song wise, we have one masterpiece of music and 41 songs (well 37 songs and the Montenegro, San Marino, Russia and Georgia horros aside)... 6th! I get it though, it's like "here are my fave 5 songs and the cool different one will be just outside the top 5" but that's definitely ignoring true music and what we should defend in esc... when showing esc 2012 to my non-esc fans friends, I feel ashame when Spain comes around, such a dated stupid dull song makes the contest look bad, even though Spain 2012 doesn't make it look as bad as Russia 2012 of course... why does someone like Pastora feel the need to send such disney-wanna be, a song that is so typical that there is absolutely no emotion coming out of this when you listen in audio? I mean this is basically the exact same song than the ones we've heard for the past 30 years from Céline Dion...

:doh:

Overreacting much?

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1679.msg42276#msg42276

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2012, 12:39:49 AM »
Sorry I've not replied to the earlier posts - but I must say that I enjoyed reading your reviews of the songs and performances.  Unlike Morgan I can totally understand why you have Pastora at #1 - she is in my top 5 after all.  I think once you get past the fact that it's a G:Son song (he is responsible for some horrors in the past) it's actually a really lovely song that builds beautifully.  With regards to Rona - if you check my reaction when it won FiK I was totally unconvinced that it was a good choice....and upto her performance in the Semi final I remained totally unconvinced by the song.  She totally won me over with her performance.

So who's next?  Morgan, Remy, Niko, Danijel, Amaranth or someone else?

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1679.msg42277#msg42277
Blue, Blue, Blue, Johnny Blue
Welche Farbe hat die Sonne?

Offline DeeVee

• Mysterious Newbie
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2012, 01:35:08 AM »
Now that's an impressive way to do a ranking! I've briefly looked through it and can already say that I largely agree with it, of course the order may be different but at least the top 7 would be in my top 10, or very closely around it. Personally I don't really like to make a ranking for myself as I always find contradictions. This year is a particularly hard one as I have many favourites and find it hard to decide which one is really the best for me. As I've mentioned as well, I've been to Baku as well, met many of the singers, far from all of them, with some of them you have a click, with some of them not at all and all those emotions are hard to switch off. Oh yeah, I've seen the semi's live from the arena, which is great of course but it's a lot harder to hear if someone sings well or not, and I haven't seen most performances back yet. Unlike most people with PED, shortly after ESC I'm not at all eager to watch back anything at all.

I still may give it a try and that way wrap up some memories as well, but first I'll give someone else the pen/keyboard...

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1679.msg42282#msg42282

Offline rapsodia

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2012, 01:52:13 AM »
As I've mentioned as well, I've been to Baku as well, met many of the singers, far from all of them, with some of them you have a click, with some of them not at all and all those emotions are hard to switch off. Oh yeah, I've seen the semi's live from the arena, which is great of course but it's a lot harder to hear if someone sings well or not, and I haven't seen most performances back yet. Unlike most people with PED, shortly after ESC I'm not at all eager to watch back anything at all.

Personally I'd love to learn more about those experiences, especially with the artists. As it's quite obvious in my reviews too, I'm always intrigued about their personality and off-stage antics.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1679.msg42283#msg42283

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2012, 11:59:04 PM »
the split results are out, ill analyze them and then will start working my 2012 final rankings - end june, the usual time to close the esc season

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1679.msg42444#msg42444

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2012, 12:49:00 AM »
CURRENT FORUM RANKINGS

(Ian + Can)

81 - Montenegro - 42 + 39
81 - Austria - 40 + 41
78 - Slovakia - 41 + 37
78 - Georgia - 36 + 42
75 - San Marino - 35 + 40
72 - Ireland - 34 + 38
71 - Norway - 37 + 34
67 - Cyprus - 32 + 35
65 - Russia - 38 + 27
63 - Greece - 39 + 24
59 - Bulgaria - 30 + 29
58 - France - 22 + 36
57 - Latvia - 25 + 32
56 - Switzerland - 23 + 33
55 - Belgium - 24 + 31
52 - Ukraine - 29 + 23
49 - Belarus - 19 + 30
47 - Denmark - 31 + 16
46 - Croatia - 33 + 13
44 - Malta - 16 + 28
44 - Bosnia & Herzegovina - 26 + 18
42 - Lithuania - 17 + 25
41 - Germany - 20 + 21
37 - Hungary - 11 + 26
37 - Israel - 28 + 9
35 - Turkey - 27 + 8
35 - Romania - 13 + 22
34 - Azerbaijan - 15 + 19
34 - Moldova - 14 + 20
25 - Sweden - 21 + 4
25 - Finland - 8 + 17
23 - Netherlands - 12 + 11
22 - UK - 7 + 15
20 - Serbia - 18 + 2
19 - Italy - 9 + 10
18 - Slovenia - 6 + 12
18 - Macedonia - 4 + 14
13 - Portugal - 10 + 3
8 - Estonia - 3 + 5
8 - Albania - 2 + 6
8 - Iceland - 1 + 7
6 - Spain - 5 + 1

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1679.msg42570#msg42570

Offline Danijel

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2012, 01:57:34 AM »
After the EURO and my little busy week, i'm gonna post here my new ranking as well! Stay tuned  :biggrin:

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1679.msg42571#msg42571

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2012, 10:59:12 AM »
I'll wait for Danijel's rankings then!

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1679.msg42651#msg42651

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2012, 02:55:27 PM »
Who's next then?  Danijel, Morgan, Remy, Niko or maybe someone else :)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1679.msg42693#msg42693

Offline Danijel

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2012, 02:59:19 AM »
I'm gonna be next, and this is going to happen during this week :)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1679.msg42697#msg42697

Offline Danijel

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2012, 03:37:38 AM »
Here we go with my new ranking, and starting with the bottom 12:

42. Albania - i'll start with good words...the music is good....but those screams are hell too much for me (even though i've listened before to toughest metal music in the close past), but when she started with that oh-oh-oh-oh in the very beginning, i already wanted to pull my hair off! and the rest was big torture for me....so as i said before...this is like cow being slaughtered to the sounds of classical music (and i love classical)  :P

41. Netherlands - I still don't get how people could love that song.....everything was so outdated, and the Indian head-dress was looked really silly on ESC stage...i just don't get the point of the song...to imitate country music of the US? they can do it better... i was sure this is so going to be eliminated and i wasn't wrong. only big shock was that televotes would have qualify it at 10th position  :o

40. Romania - as now we're in summertime, all i can say about this is that is big fail summersong! nothing special in this, and for those who look for summer songs, better listen to "Chica Loca" LOL

39. Austria - This is the official biggest flop in my list. as the ass men mostly showed themselves as rappers, i would add that i was never a fan of Rap, but still i always try to keep myself open-minded for every music genre, and indeed, i quite enjoyed it when selected in the Austrian national final. it was still very convincing! but again i'll quote myself, this song just lost it and just became as big whorehouse at the ESC stage! it really lost any charm it had in the NF. deserved last place in the Semi.

38. Russia - As my opinion about it is known, i must add this is totally not for ESC....yeah yeah the grannies are very cute and charming, and Russians were clever sending an entry which would fool anyone that this is no joke song, but honestly i prefer much more the Polish grannies of the Euro 2012, and as Poland was out of ESC, i guess Russia should have lose to Poland at Euro 2012 group A for not sending the Polish grannies to ESC LOLOLOL

37. Azerbaijan - again i'll say, the music was good! yeah yeah ethnic elements, but the singer totally irritated me, and so sounded the song to me. also super overrated in the results, and no surprise it got most of votes from televotes, especially from small countries such as Israel and Malta, which votes could really be manipulated there...

36. Portugal - starting with good words, i think the live performance was really convincing! but still that song is just very very boring! and that's why it is in this placing...

35. Lithuania - as time goes by, this song just bores me more and more. totally overrated in any parameter at both final and semi-final, and still i don't get the purpose of the song at all...really sound to me no better than the failures of 2004...

34. San Marino - my feeling about the song is like meeting very ugly woman which has good character, so it makes her beautiful on the outside. and i do have respect for the Sanmarinese milf for showing what she exactly thinks about Mr. Ralph Siegel at the greenroom interview. still credit goes to her, even if the song is extremely poor.

33. Belarus - Belarus have sent their strong rock band...but it's ESC, so rock band became boyband...silly silly song and the great rock band even copied Kelly Clarkson...all i can say about this idiotic final version is just EPIC FAIL!

32. France - i did my best to be very friendly to this song, but this one is so lame....no wonder the televotes gave it big fat zippo! not horrible song, but still it looked like one big fail circus!

31. Ireland - I must say that this sounds like a song which would be much higher at my ranks, but the general feeling is that the Jedwards made it sound much worse, and i prefer 2011 "Lipstick" much more, as i think also it suited them much more. got fair placing at the ESC after all.

Based on this, the top 30 in alphabetical order are:

Belgium
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Bulgaria
Croatia
Cyprus
Denmark
Estonia
Finland
Georgia
Germany
Greece