Author Topic: ESC 2012 - Semi-final 2  (Read 12808 times)

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
ESC 2012 - Semi-final 2
« on: May 23, 2012, 12:33:09 PM »
Eurovision Song Contest 2012
Semi-final 2

24 May 2012
Baku Crystal Hall, Baku, Azerbaijan

• The ten countries in this semi-final with the highest scoring points, according to a combination of televotes and jury votes from each voting country, will qualify for the final.
  • France, Germany and United Kingdom will vote in this semi-final.

01. Serbia: Željko Joksimović - Nije Ljubav Stvar
02. Macedonia: Kaliopi - Crno I Belo
03. Netherlands: Joan Franka - You And Me
04. Malta: Kurt Calleja - This Is The Night
05. Belarus: Litesound - We Are The Heroes
06. Portugal: Filipa Souza - Vida Minha
07. Ukraine: Gaitana - Be My Guest
08. Bulgaria: Sofi Marinova - Love Unlimited
09. Slovenia: Eva Boto - Verjamem
10. Croatia: Nina Badrić - Nebo
11. Sweden: Loreen - Euphoria
12. Georgia: Anri Jokhadze - I’m A Joker
13. Turkey: Can Bonomo - Love Me Back
14. Estonia: Ott Lepland - Kuula
15. Slovakia: Max Jason Mai - Don’t Close Your Eyes
16. Norway: Tooji - Stay
17. Bosnia & Herzegovina: Maya Sar – Korake Ti Znam
18. Lithuania: Donny Montell - Love Is Blind

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg41950#msg41950
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
Psalm 23:4

Offline Danijel

• Escvibes Team
Re: ESC 2012 - Semi-final 2
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 12:55:12 PM »
i'm short in time atm, so i will elaborate my opinions later. anyway the 10 countries which i think will qualify (and i have a feeling i'd hit more correct results than SF1) are:

Serbia
Macedonia
Ukraine
Slovenia
Sweden
Georgia
Turkey
Estonia
Norway
Bosnia & Herzegovina

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg41951#msg41951

Offline Niko

• Escvibes Friend
  • fan of Arlene Francis
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 08:43:09 PM »
My final ranking of semifinal 2 before the "show", My votes depend on videos and official studio album.

01 - Macedonia
02 - Serbia
03 - Estonia
04 - Turkey
05 - Portugal
06 - Slovenia
07 - Bosnia-Herzegovina
08 - The Netherlands
09 - Croatia
10/11 - Malta/Lithuania
11/10 - Lithuania/Malta
12 - Norway
13 - Georgia
14 - Belarus
15 - Bulgaria
16 - Sweden
17 - Slovakia
18 - Ukraine

I can't decide which one I like more, Malta or Lithuania, so that is why I have given them a shared 10th / 11th place.

I am not that dumb, that I wouldn't know that Sweden will automatically be in top 10, just because it is Sweden.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg41967#msg41967
Åland forever!

Offline Danijel

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 02:43:53 AM »
Here is the recap of the dress rehearsal for Semi-Final 2:

And just before the Semi-final kicks off, here are my opinions:

Will qualify from the top places: Serbia, Ukraine, Sweden, Bosnia & Herzegovina
Will also qualify: Slovenia, Georgia, Turkey, Estonia
Narrowly qualifying: Macedonia, Norway

So the eliminated countries are: Netherlands, Malta, Belarus, Portugal, Bulgaria, Croatia, Slovakia, Lithuania.

my opinions about the songs which i think will not qualify are going like this:

Lithuania - This is my pick for being so close to qualify, i blew it at the 1st semi with Moldova LOL, but once again i'll say...Lithuania is so 11th place!

Croatia - even though Nina Badrić is very popular in the former Yugoslavia countries, it won't play any factor here. the song is not so powerful and a bit forgettable, and based on the draw, it looks like Croatia is going to be squashed between stronger Slovenia (though i think there are better songs than Slovenia), and absolutely Sweden.

Malta - maybe Malta will surprise us by getting higher place than we think it will get, but it looks like replay of last year will happen again, as Malta was so close to qualify back then, and i see that happens once more.

Portugal - again the send the same song, but this is boring, oldfashioned and forgotten, so if these similar songs in the past weren't so big success for Portugal (though Portugal made it few times to the final), i don't see any way that Portugal will get better results than they already got in the past.

Belarus - regardless the fact it is poor song, it is also very forgettable, and it will be huge surprise if will even be close to the qualification picture.

Netherlands - for me this is one of the worst songs this year. very oldfashioned and boring, and unfortunately, Joan didn't get rid of the ridiculous indian headress. furthermore, she doesn't sing good at all in live, as you can see in the recap, so i guess most likely the juries might save the Netherlands from very unflattering result.

Slovakia - when it came out, i thought it to be possible surprise, but in rehearsal it really sounds far too noisy, and i don't get which exactly rockstar Max\Miro is trying to imitate.

Bulgaria - this is strong candidate for the dreaded last place in the semi. i quite enjoyed this song, but based on the rehearsals, it seems there is no connection at all between the music and the singing. definitely eliminated.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg41971#msg41971

Offline Danijel

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 03:46:46 AM »
I am not that dumb, that I wouldn't know that Sweden will automatically be in top 10, just because it is Sweden.

Well unlike Greece, Romania, Russia and Ukraine, Sweden doesn't have the 100% record success at the semi-finals since 2010, and i totally agree with you about the general point, but this year it is no typical schlager anymore, as obviously Sweden have realized that typical shclagers are yesterday news. so in this year case, my avatar explains everything about my opinion :)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg41973#msg41973

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 12:38:43 PM »
the 10 i want to qualify: Serbia, Macedonia, Netherlands, Portugal, Croatia, Sweden, Turkey, Estonia, Bosnia & Herzegovina and either Belarus or Lithuania based on the best live performance

the 10 i think will qualify: Serbia, Netherlands, Portugal, Ukraine, Slovenia, Sweden, Turkey, Estonia, Norway and Bosnia & Herzegovina

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg41974#msg41974

Offline rapsodia

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 02:15:36 PM »
the 10 i want to qualify: Serbia, Macedonia, Netherlands, Portugal, Croatia, Sweden, Turkey, Estonia, Bosnia & Herzegovina and either Belarus or Lithuania based on the best live performance

the 10 i think will qualify: Serbia, Netherlands, Portugal, Ukraine, Slovenia, Sweden, Turkey, Estonia, Norway and Bosnia & Herzegovina

We have exactly the same prediction Morgan. But this is a very hard semi to predict and I'm thinking of replacing the Netherlands with either Macedonia or Lithuania at the moment.

As for the wishlist, we have 9 out of 10 common there as well. I only have Slovenia instead of Belarus or Lithuania.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg41976#msg41976

Offline Gerly

• Rock'N'Roll Kid
    • Dima Bilan
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 04:43:55 PM »
i think the qualifiers will be:

Serbia
Sweden
Slovenia
Turkey
Norway
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Estonia
the Netherlands
Macedonia
Ukraine

Its really hard to predict this time.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg41978#msg41978

Offline corlagol

• De Troubadour
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 07:33:09 PM »
This is what i think

Serbia
Ukraine
Sweden
Turkey
Estonia
Norway
Bosnia Herzegovina
Macedonia
Portugal
The Netherlands (wishful thinking, most likely it'll be Slovenia)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg41982#msg41982
Resultaten behaald in het verleden zijn een garantie voor de toekomst

Offline Relyana

• Webmaster
    • Eurovision Forum | ESC Vibes
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 10:21:01 PM »
01. Serbia: Željko Joksimović - Nije Ljubav Stvar
Nice, powerful start of the semi

02. Macedonia: Kaliopi - Crno I Belo
Pretty good

03. Netherlands: Joan Franka - You And Me
I must say that the Cranberries zombie ... sorry, indian wanna be look surprised me. The public seemed to enjoy the performance and I liked watching it as well. The song itself didn't impress me though.

04. Malta: Kurt Calleja - This Is The Night
Fabrizio Faniello's kind of music, without his charisma. That's all.

05. Belarus: Litesound - We Are The Heroes
Decent performance. Who said this is the weakest semi-final?  :scratch:

06. Portugal: Filipa Souza - Vida Minha
Lovely! Congratulations Portugal for competing at esc with music so specific to you no matter what. If only more countries would follow your example.

07. Ukraine: Gaitana - Be My Guest
Sorry, not my cup of tea. Nice seeing the rainbow on stage though.

08. Bulgaria: Sofi Marinova - Love Unlimited
Interesting attitude, odd outfit. I never thought I'd say this but singing in Bulgarian was an uninspired decision.

09. Slovenia: Eva Boto - Verjamem
Good performance.

10. Croatia: Nina Badrić - Nebo
I have nothing to say  :shrug:

11. Sweden: Loreen - Euphoria
Ok ... I can see this one winning. So different in a good way compared to everything I've watched so far.

12. Georgia: Anri Jokhadze - I’m A Joker
Too much noise

13. Turkey: Can Bonomo - Love Me Back
Nice I guess. Not my kind of music though

14. Estonia: Ott Lepland - Kuula
Beautiful   :)

15. Slovakia: Max Jason Mai - Don’t Close Your Eyes
 :penguin:  :mda:

16. Norway: Tooji - Stay
Ricky Martin is competing at esc this year? And he's coming from Norway?   :ohmy: Really? Sorry, but this is scary!

17. Bosnia & Herzegovina: Maya Sar – Korake Ti Znam
Beautiful  :smitten:

18. Lithuania: Donny Montell - Love Is Blind
Good voice! Nice lyrics, entertaining performance  ... hope it qualifies. Kind of weird to see the guy alone on stage

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg41990#msg41990
Sometimes I'm good but when I'm bad I'm even better

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 11:47:28 PM »
My top 10:

01. Ukraine
02. Slovenia
03. Malta
04. Lithuania
05. Estonia
06. Bosnia & Herzegovina
07. Croatia
08. Portugal
09. Sweden
10. Netherlands

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg41991#msg41991
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

Offline Relyana

• Webmaster
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 11:59:46 PM »
Our finalists from this semi are:

01. Lithuania
02. Bosnia & Herzegovina
03. Serbia
04. Ukraine
05. Sweden
06. F.Y.R. Macedonia
07. Norway
08. Estonia
09. Malta
10. Turkey

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg41992#msg41992

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 12:03:38 AM »

I have 7 in from those I wanted but to be fair Croatia sucked live, Portugal was disappointingly totally off and Netherlands was always a borderline case... Malta did a good live so I'm not mad, and Norway and Ukaine *sigh*

I predicted 7 correctly, I did not see Malta, Lithuania and Macedonia making it and thought Netherlands, again borderline, Portugal, disappointing live and Slovenia (horribly dress, and it canceled each other out with Croatia) would make it

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg41993#msg41993

Offline rapsodia

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 12:05:59 AM »

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 12:08:38 AM »
Malta?
Really?
instead of Slovenia too, while both Macedonia and Lithuania made it, pushing Netherlands and Portugal out of the picture!

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg41995#msg41995

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 12:08:54 AM »
Congratulations Lithuania, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Serbia, Ukraine, Sweden, F.Y.R. Macedonia, Norway, Estonia, Malta & Turkey!

See you on Saturday! :)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg41996#msg41996

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 12:21:40 AM »
No Slovenia, no Portugal, no Netherlands.  :shrug:

Good results, but I'm a little bit surprised about Macedonia (bad voice) and Norway (Eric Saade look-a-like). Turkey's entry is not my cup of tea, but it's very popular so their qualification is not a surprise.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg41997#msg41997

Offline rapsodia

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 12:35:14 AM »
No Slovenia, no Portugal, no Netherlands.  :shrug:

And that means half of my Top Six in this semi.  :cry:

I won't be able to get over this one for a long, long time.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg41998#msg41998

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 01:06:22 AM »
As for Malta, as soon as he got his feet working, I knew he was gonna make it. Lovely background, joyful performance, he really did seem to enjoy it and share that and vocally, as usual with malta, it was spot on; so overall i see malta being the 10th one, after all they came 11th two years in a row before that and always come really great live with poor songs, missing out, this time making it, the usual malta in esc!

here in France everyone was all over Estonia and he jumped to #2 in my list, Macedonia, Serbia and Bosnia came in my group’s top while everyone here hated Sweden or Slovenia (uglyest dress this year?)

I must admit I'm really happy on Lithuania… I had it in my wish list and he totally deserved it, he nailed it vocally and performance wise, he totally sold an upbeat song like no one else alone on stage! I am very glad we’ll see Lithuania instead of Slovenia saturday! Slovenia had the worst dress of the year and a disastery boring routine, even poor vocals!

and my BIG crush of the night was Kaliopi, amazing overall and as a person in press conference, that I think I own Niko an apology, Niko, you were right on this one! :heart:

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg41999#msg41999

Offline TrayBake

• Escvibes Team
    • Dyspraxic Chat
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 01:13:00 AM »
wow slovakia didnt make it through thats rubbish ... they were the best that I heard!

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg42000#msg42000

Offline rapsodia

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2012, 01:30:53 AM »
and my BIG crush of the night was Kaliopi, amazing overall and as a person in press conference, that I think I own Niko an apology, Niko, you were right on this one! :heart:

And just the exact opposite for me. I think her vocals were a hot mess during the performance and in the press conference she was even more annoying than Jedwards, if that's possible. I liked her quite a lot until this night but I guess I will just skip her performance on Saturday. Come to think of it I could even quit the show after Germany, until Serbia.

However looking on the bright sight, Zeljko's draw couldn't have been better in any way!

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg42001#msg42001

Offline Danijel

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2012, 01:48:23 AM »
After this evening, i can say my feeling is pretty good. well Serbia and Sweden were definite qualifiers, but i was especially very happy when Bosnia & Herzegovina and Macedonia were announced as qualifiers! so here is my opinion about this evening:

Serbia: Good performance. before the evening i thought of possibility that maybe something really big will get out of this even more than "Lane moje" it's not the case this evening, but still great to see it in the final (As was clear).

Macedonia: All i can say about the great Kaliopi is that she really proofed us she can be great rocker! the song is great, my 2nd place overall, i always believed she deserved final, and when she was announced as finalist, it was really great moment for me! fantastic performance!

Netherlands: well Joan improved in vocals comparing the dress rehearsal, the crowd really supported her, but i still don't get why beautiful girl had to hide underneath this ridiculous thing. my opinion about the song is known, so all i have to hope is that the Netherlands will send in the upcoming years something which really reflects their music scene, whether it is electro or rock, i'm sure they can do much better!

Malta: if there was any wonder what will be the biggest surprise of ESC 2012, it is this one! never ever i saw this qualifies (i think last year Malta deserved final much more than now) i saw this thing some uncharismatic replay of UK 2010, but indeed it was good performance, and the backup girl who looked like Szilvia from NOX was good, and still i never saw final appearance for that. the biggest surprise of ESC 2012! though i must say i think Malta enjoyed string of very lame songs.

Belarus: well performance was quite good, but the song is bad, and i really got bored of it. it is like lame copy of Kelly Clarckson's "What Doesn't Kill You (Stronger)" (and i was never fan of hers). all i can say it is deserved elimination.

Portugal: though i never liked this song, i must say that the performance was very good! but Portugal is a country which never enjoyed televotes or jury voting, so definitely no surprise here.

Ukraine: all i can say it was very convincing...EURO 2012 song (and the other co-host is absent from ESC), and i think it will do great for sure. convincing, and if it will get same placing as Ukraine did last year with horrible song, i will have no complaints. Ukraine just know how to do it, much more than all the friendly votes!

Bulgaria: as i said Ukraine is a country who knows how to do the job, Bulgaria is a country who doesn't know how to do it. though Sofi got some crowd support, it didn't work like the Netherlands. the performance was not convincing, and i'm sure if they had work on it more, it could get better placing in this semi, even if not qualifying. as i said, this has must have been one of the dread bottom places.

Slovenia: big SHOCK! though i'm not big fan of it, everything in it looked like definite qualifier. i still don't get why Slovenia is out while Malta and Lithuania are in.  well Serbian song with the writers of Molitva (though imo Molitva was one of the weakest Serbian entries), this is still remains big mystery at least until we see the full scoreboard after saturday. so all i can think is that Slovenia is a country which never enjoyed final qualifying too much, and the least among ex-Yugoslavia (i don't take Montenegro into account, since Slovenia have appeared much more at ESC).

Croatia: well Croatia after Slovenia....in ex-YU eyes it might have been strange that the Slovenian 16 years old is in while the Croatian established singer is out as it looked like, and then both eliminated....but the Croatian entry was lame, and Nina's current popularity wasn't any factor when coming to ESC...the song was lame, and i really miss the Croatian entry from 2011! during the performance, all i've waited is for the next song which we all know what it was!

Sweden: i don't have too much to say...well the camera work in Melodyfestivalen was better of course, but i really don't have anything to add beside this is WINNER!

Georgia: this one being out is a great shock for me! forget about all the negative words being said about this song, but this was really great performance, really great artist and performer, and it was just great, so i had the feeling that Georgia might even get the 2nd place in this semi after Sweden! i think it shouldn't be eliminated and we will all see it is great proof that he "professional musicians" at juries are nothing but OGAE related ppl, which all had a contract about this song! i'm sure it would have qualified with the televotes.

Turkey: great. i'm very happy once again to see this great country in the final of Eurovision, especially after the super undeserved elimination of last year!

Estonia: great performance, and remains big dark horse! maybe the most convincing entry Estonia ever sent, and this is great proof that countries should not be afraid trying song in their own language!

Slovakia: well Malta was the surprise of ESC 2012, but for some time i thought it would be Slovakia, but not after the rehearsals....this is bad heavy metal wannabe and Max just reminds me all the kids who loves metal and they think that Metallica (or should i say Metallicaca) is the best band of the world....just too much noise, and as usual Slovakia are out.

Norway: i thought the performance was good, and based on it i think it was deserved qualifier, though i don't like this song at all.

Bosnia & Herzegovina: big HELL YEAH jump! i was worried but i'm SOO happy to see the most quality song of ESC 2012 among the finalists! Maya is great and i hope she will do great in the final as well as she deserves!

Lithuania:  :o looks like the forgotten member of NKOTB sings Love boat soundtrack....well the gymnastics was entertaining, but i really thought it is so 11th, so all i can say is surprise qualifier!

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg42002#msg42002

Offline Danijel

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2012, 02:22:47 AM »
wow slovakia didnt make it through thats rubbish ... they were the best that I heard!

I do like hardrock\metal music, but i didn't like this thing. however, what more matters here, is the fact that Slovakia have never qualified to Eurovision final, and never had the chance to swap 12 with neighbors, Czech Republic (who already gave up...) i don't think country like Sweden, Russia, Greece or Romania would ever send this type of song, but most likely they would be qualified even with that.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg42005#msg42005

Offline Relyana

• Webmaster
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2012, 04:00:21 AM »
I do like hardrock\metal music, but i didn't like this thing. however, what more matters here, is the fact that Slovakia have never qualified to Eurovision final, and never had the chance to swap 12 with neighbors, Czech Republic (who already gave up...) i don't think country like Sweden, Russia, Greece or Romania would ever send this type of song, but most likely they would be qualified even with that.

Do you really think Romania would get through with any type of song?  :scratch:

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg42007#msg42007

Offline Danijel

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2012, 07:57:34 AM »
Do you really think Romania would get through with any type of song?  :scratch:

why not, i think also many other countries could qualify with this while it is not the 1st time this type of song appears at Eurovision stage (i deliberately mentioned countries with lot of success at semi-finals), just in this specific case there are 2 problems: 1. juries (who are not really "professional" and 2. Slovakia itself, which not by mistake was put at the last pot, since who can exactly vote it, Czech Republic?

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg42012#msg42012