Author Topic: ESC 2012 - Semi-final 2  (Read 12807 times)

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
Re: ESC 2012 - Semi-final 2
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2012, 10:33:39 AM »
Any country with a good song and a decent performance will get into the final. Of course, there are a lot of countries from certain area's that profit from diaspora voting and friendly neighbours, but Slovakia can qualify with a good entry. You can't blame Europe for not voting for screaming.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg42017#msg42017
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
Psalm 23:4

Offline Karel

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2012, 11:15:40 AM »
I could not watch the show yesterday because I had to work, but I recorded it and I watched this morning.

Definitely the worst hosts ever. I can't stand them and I 'm happy that I won't see them live this Saturday because I can't watch the final either. The advantage of recording the show is that one can fast forward the bad parts, and honestly, there will be a lot to fast forward  :D

As a Belgian, I'm always interested in what my beloved neighbours of the Netherlands do. It's really sad that the vocal performances of Joanna were not good. And again no Netherlands in the final  :cry:

Sweden did not convince me at all. Loreen mumbles, she should articulate better. In my humble opinion, she will have difficulties to win. "Euphoria" is really overrated.

Serbia did well, and Portugal too, but that's it  :shrug:

I know that a lot of people say that Eurovision has nothing to do with politics, and you are right. The Belgian television however broadcasted yesterday a documentary about the real Azerbaijan. I don't want to spoil your Eurovision fever, but it is really interesting to get a bit more information about this year's host country...  :(    http://www.deredactie.be/permalink/1.1309642

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg42019#msg42019

Offline Danijel

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2012, 11:35:03 AM »
Any country with a good song and a decent performance will get into the final. Of course, there are a lot of countries from certain area's that profit from diaspora voting and friendly neighbours, but Slovakia can qualify with a good entry. You can't blame Europe for not voting for screaming.

Indeed, totally no blame for Europe for not voting this screaming, but on the other hand, Slovenia (who never enjoyed too much voting success, thus found itself at the "sixth pot") elimination remains big mystery for me! another proof people are voting countries rather than songs, and there always countries who enjoy votes, while others doesn't, sometimes qualifies to the final, but without much successs.

Definitely the worst hosts ever.

Luckily for me, i just arrived when the postcard prior to the Serbian song was shown, so definitely not sad for missing the opening part, and also luckily for us all that Eldar was busy with the interval act LOL

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg42020#msg42020

Offline Gerly

• Rock'N'Roll Kid
    • Dima Bilan
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2012, 12:12:53 PM »
I was so happy when Estonia envelope came. As we weren't one of the favourites and Ott made also a new version, then I was really nervous. So happy to be in Final again. If we will beat Getter 24th place, then is everything cool to me.
I just want to be in final, that's it. But I believe that Ott can do very well. Not probably Top 5. But Top 15, would be awesome I think!

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg42022#msg42022

Offline Niko

• Escvibes Friend
  • fan of Arlene Francis
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2012, 04:52:08 PM »
I ranked all the sf 2 songs yesterday evening - just like all of us - and this is how I ranked them. Be prepared for the surprise  ;D :

My top 10

01 - Macedonia - I could have listened her all the night, really wonderful and great!  :heart:
02 - Estonia - I really love this song and he has a brilliant voice  :heart:
03 - Serbia - A really poweful song which beautiful lyrics and he can really sing. This song is much much better than Lane moje.  :heart:
04 - Portugal - What a nice song and her voice was really nice. I didn't see or hear any problems with her voice.
05 - Slovenia - Not as good vocalist as the 4 previous ones, but still very talented.
06 - Turkey - Can can sing this song much better, but I think he was too nervous. Anyway, a really nice and happy song, but not as good as what I was expecting from him,
07 - Sweden -   :o This song and performance really surprised me and thus it was the biggest grower of the night, Now I can understand all that hype around her song.
08 - Malta - Maybe the biggest surprise of the evening for me. This song was really happy and gave me  a very good mood. The performance was also one of the best ones!
09 - Bosnia-Herzegovina - Quite a nice song, but somehow I am tired with these "lady and her piano" songs, even if this is better by miles than for example "Pas pour moi" which I have never liked too much. Maya has a very good voice though,
10 - Lithuania - This song also surprised me. Great that it will be in final!

This means that I guessed 8/10 qualifiers, which is a very good achievement for me! Usually I guess something like 6/10.

The rest of the songs:

11th - Belarus - This sounded much better than before
12th - Georgia - The second best male voice of the night (best male voice had Estonia) but even if the song is funny, it is a kind of mixed fruit salade - all kinds of everything.
13th - Croatia - She tried her best (just like all other participants) but it stayed quite lame.
14th - Norway - This song makes me every time very out of breath, I don't like this very much, even if I must say that this is catchy, but I guess teenagers love this (and Tooji).
15th - The Netherlands - The biggest failure of the night.  :( Sorry, Remy and Marc.  :-[ Poor Joan was so much nervous that she couldn't pronounce anything very cleatly. Also, all words came from her throat and not from stomach. She was also singing it too high. This made me really sad, because she was in my top 10 before the semifinal.  :cry:
16th - Ukraine - Three minutes of cacophony.  :doh:
17th - Bulgaria - Pure nonsense - I never liked this song and I won't like this song also in the future,  :doh:
18th - Slovakia - 3 minutes of shouting out of tune - was there actually a tune?  :worry:

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg42023#msg42023
Åland forever!

Offline Dzonny

• Escvibes Friend
    • samo-opusteno
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2012, 05:24:55 PM »
Macedonia - Kaliopi has a great voice, and i just love the song she performed last night. She's really great! :sing:
Serbia - I noticed my country after all others, lol. I didn't like a song, but last night i noticed that it's not so bad after all i guess.  ;D
Sweden - great song, i understand why that was so good positioned in top lists.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg42025#msg42025

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2012, 08:15:56 PM »
My quick review of this semi

1. Serbia - It's Joksimovic ergo I find it rather boring.  The intro still sounds uncannily like Paradise by Coldplay but this has a bit more ooomph than his previous attempts

2. Macedonia - Best vocal of the night.  Love the song too.  Kaliopi's voice is just full of emotion without even trying

3. Netherlands - the frailty of Joan's voice was shown up by Kaliopi singing directly before her.  Having said that it is still a catchy and quite cool song shame about the headdress which didn't fit with the song

4. Malta - the foot moves were cool...the vocal was decent...the song was dated.  Very surprised it qualified to be honest.

5. Belarus - a surprisingly competent performance.  I think the song lost some of it's ooomph when it went poppy from being rocky.  I still think they made the wrong choice to change the original song

6. Portugal - great voice, great vocal performance, lovely song....it was just too Portuguese I suppose :shrug:

7. Ukraine - get a dance tune and get some woman to shout for 3 minutes.  What an awful noise

8. Bulgaria - get a dance tune and get some woman to shout for 3 minutes in various languages.  Equally awful as the one before it - but because Gaitana sung in English it killed this one stone dead

9. Slovenia - best song of the night.  however the performance whilst competent wasn't electric.  Vocally she was pretty good though

10. Croatia - I've still yet to find a tune in this song and less than 24 hours after watching the performance I can remember absolutely nothing about it

11. Sweden - the song is an ordinary dance tune which would've been big in the 90s clubs.   The performance was completely irrelevant to the song and she was nothing more than a Kate Bush tribute act.  Vocally she mumbled most of the song.  Needless to say I still don't get the hype around this one

12. Georgia - an unmitigated mess.  First time Georgia sends a male vocalist....the reason they've always sent women before was evident in the fact that he couldn't sing and the song was a complete mess

13. Turkey - odd voice, odd song, odd performance - not a lot else to say really

14. Estonia - a couple of duff notes in an otherwise lovely performance of a lovely song

15. Slovakia - take a rock song and remove any semblance of a melody and then get some bloke to stand there shouting endless nonsense.

16. Norway - take a dance song and get some cutie to dance around like a pillock singing woefully out of tune.

17. Bosnia & Herzegovina - a pleasant song with a nice enough performance.  Still mystified how this qualified over the superior Slovenian song

18. Lithuania - decent performance of a decent song....but that blindfold thing is so cheesy!!!

My ranking of this semi

1. Macedonia
2. Slovenia
3. Estonia
4. Lithuania
5. Portugal
6. Serbia
7. Netherlands
8. Belarus
9. Bosnia & Herzegovina
10. Malta
11. Turkey
12. Croatia
13. Sweden
14. Norway
15. Ukraine
16. Bulgaria
17. Georgia
18. Slovakia

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg42034#msg42034
Blue, Blue, Blue, Johnny Blue
Welche Farbe hat die Sonne?

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2012, 08:45:12 PM »
Any country with a good song and a decent performance will get into the final.
I totally agree, just as any country can WIN with a great song/performance package. After all, who thought Germany would grab a win in recent years? Remember Germany 2007 that got an unfair low result and then Germany 2008 which was a disaster? Back then, who would have put money on Germany winning two years later? It's true, some countries get more points purely on diaspora and political votes, but that does not mean they'll do well necessarly, Turkey or Armenia failed last year, when Russia, last with juries came only 16th in the final.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg42044#msg42044

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2012, 01:16:13 AM »
Tie for tenth place in Second Semi-Final!

Baku, Azerbaijan - Some information has been released by the EBU regarding the results of the Second Semi-Final, and for the first time since the Semi-Final format was introduced, there was a tie for tenth place in last night's edition of Europe's Favourite TV Show.

With two songs tying for tenth place in the Second Semi-Final, under the current rules of the contest the song that received votes from the most number of countries is deemed to take the higher position. If that also turned out to be an identical number, then a countback system of the number of 12 points, the 10 points etc would come into consideration.

Six out of ten songs agreed by juries and televoters

The results of the Second Semi-Final also showed a greater difference between the juries and the televoters than with the First Semi-Final on Tuesday.

Last night saw the jures and televoters agree on six of the ten songs that qualified for the Final. Of the other four songs, two were put through to the Final thanks to the juries, and two were saved thanks to the votes from the televoters.

Since Semi-Finals were introduced in 2004, there has always been a clear cut top ten every year. However last year saw the closest results so far, when in both Semi-Finals the tenth and eleventh places were separated by a single point. Last night saw a first for the record books with the tie-break rule being used for the first time.

Source: http://www.eurovision.tv

Which countries do you think finished on the 10th place?

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg42054#msg42054
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2012, 01:43:58 AM »
I'm 80% certain that Slovenia was the one that missed out :(

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg42055#msg42055
Blue, Blue, Blue, Johnny Blue
Welche Farbe hat die Sonne?

Offline Danijel

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2012, 02:32:30 AM »
Not sure whether Slovenia was the tie-break loser, as after this mystery elimination i really don't know what to think...

but..

something takes me back to 2008, in which i was sure Sweden being the wildcard qualifier (and i was right), and this time i really believe that the tie-break loser was actually Georgia.
most likely Georgia received 12 from Lithuania and Ukraine (and even if their juries took it down, still high pts though), and i think it is very logical that the tie-break loser is a country which got high pts from smaller amount of the countries, while the tie-break winner is a country who got lower points, but from most countries (and obviously it is Lithuania or Malta).
i think it is less likely that country was Slovenia, especially as other 3 ex-YU countries were favored ahead of it, but somehow i have the feeling that Georgia has done really great with the televotes (maybe even top 5), while the juries definitely killed it, possibly with very low score.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg42056#msg42056

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2012, 03:40:17 AM »
I think it's Slovenia because Slovenia got already four amazing high scores (Serbia, Macedonia, Croatia and Bosnia & Herzegovina must have had it in their top 4) and then it got other points to get as high as tenth or so while I think a country like Malta, fun and cheerful and efficient respectable performance could have sneaked in many tenth or 9th or 8th spots from juries (out of 18 performing songs), giving it a lot of 3pts or so, enoug to get as high as tenth or so. In the end, the one with more countries voting for it, here Malta, would go through instead.

However, out of 26 and not 18 songs anymore, all the countries that gave small points to this lucky qualifyer will not have it in their top 10 anymore and I seriously think that whoever it was, will be dead last in the grand finale, along with Hungary, France, Lithuania, Malta and Uk which will be bottom 5 (since I think the 10th lucky one is Malta...)

What do you think of my hypothesis?

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg42057#msg42057

Offline Danijel

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2012, 04:25:21 AM »
I think it's Slovenia because Slovenia got already four amazing high scores (Serbia, Macedonia, Croatia and Bosnia & Herzegovina must have had it in their top 4) and then it got other points to get as high as tenth or so while I think a country like Malta, fun and cheerful and efficient respectable performance could have sneaked in many tenth or 9th or 8th spots from juries (out of 18 performing songs), giving it a lot of 3pts or so, enoug to get as high as tenth or so. In the end, the one with more countries voting for it, here Malta, would go through instead.

However, out of 26 and not 18 songs anymore, all the countries that gave small points to this lucky qualifyer will not have it in their top 10 anymore and I seriously think that whoever it was, will be dead last in the grand finale, along with Hungary, France, Lithuania, Malta and Uk which will be bottom 5 (since I think the 10th lucky one is Malta...)

What do you think of my hypothesis?

Still not sure at all it is Slovenia, as Zeljko and Kaliopi (and also eliminated Nina Badric) are known in the region much more than newcomer Eva, furthermore Slovenia traditionally doesn't enjoy much votes from the other ex-YU countries, as much as they vote each other, and above all, i think Serbia took a lot of possible points from Slovenia.

about the 10th place qualifier (and maybe the 9th too), i totally agree about going to crash at the final for the reasons you mentioned, though mentioning Lithuania and Malta, things might change, since their draw order is almost the opposite than they were in the semi.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg42060#msg42060

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2012, 04:28:46 AM »
Still not sure at all it is Slovenia, as Zeljko and Kaliopi (and also eliminated Nina Badric) are known in the region much more than newcomer Eva, furthermore Slovenia traditionally doesn't enjoy much votes from the other ex-YU countries, as much as they vote each other, and above all, i think Serbia took a lot of possible points from Slovenia.

about the 10th place qualifier (and maybe the 9th too), i totally agree about going to crash at the final for the reasons you mentioned, though mentioning Lithuania and Malta, things might change, since their draw order is almost the opposite than they were in the semi.
but Slovenia was one of the ones everyone saw qualifying, the song is everything a balkan entry uses to qualify (I mean, in terms of pure esc standards, Slovenia was more of a sure qualifyer than Bosnia musically).. so yes, it only got 7pts from the Balkan, behind a stronger singer and performance by Maja and the stars Zeljko and Kaliopi are and that's why it fell short of 1pt.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg42061#msg42061

Offline rapsodia

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2012, 02:40:40 PM »

With the exception of the UK this bottom five makes sense to me. I just don't think that juries would totally ignore such a legendary name even if his vocals were as bad as Blue's and by the way jury rehearsal reactions while not exactly positive, indicate that his vocals were just slightly disappointing. I'm almost sure that juries will save Engelbert from the rock bottom. Instead of him I can see there either Cyprus/Norway (wishful thinking maybe?) or the worst case scenario one of the class acts that bound to get overlooked (Iceland, Estonia or Albania). But not the UK I think.

As for the 11th place of the second semi, I tend to agree with Danijel. Georgia makes more sense to me. But I'll be really surprised if the 10th qualifier wasn't Malta.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg42066#msg42066

Offline SilenceMusic

• Mysterious Newbie
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2012, 08:22:20 PM »
I just think that Slovenia should've been in the finals instead of a few songs and artist that can't even sing live...I just don't know how can Europe vote for someone who doesn't hit a note?!  :doh:
Allas, I hope that today the best song wins...and intro to todays show: a rock cover of last years winning song!!

Enjoy!  :goodjob:

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg42082#msg42082

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2012, 10:24:31 PM »
15th - The Netherlands - The biggest failure of the night.  :( Sorry, Remy and Marc.  :-[ Poor Joan was so much nervous that she couldn't pronounce anything very cleatly. Also, all words came from her throat and not from stomach. She was also singing it too high. This made me really sad, because she was in my top 10 before the semifinal.  :cry:

I agree with you. I was in an optimistic mood on Thursday and put the Netherlands on the 10th place, but to be honest: the Dutch entry had potential, but it failed live.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg42085#msg42085

Offline rapsodia

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2012, 02:04:24 AM »
So it was Bulgaria ( :ohmy:) and Norway after all!

But how to explain Slovenia coming second last?  :scratch:

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg42103#msg42103

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2012, 01:36:13 PM »
So it was Bulgaria ( :ohmy:) and Norway after all!

But how to explain Slovenia coming second last?  :scratch:
Bulgaria could have taken down Norway, proof if needed that the Balkan/Nordic war is indeed on in Eurovision!
Slovenia makes sense to me, that song was boring, the live dull and the dress horrid, I did warn you it was bad

and I was so right on the UK Can :p

I'm glad I got Lithuania wrong, as it was great and deserved its 3rd place (above Turkey, Estonia or Macedonia who will all beat him in the grand night, due to his 4th draw)... and Malta almost made the bottom 5, seeing Norway and Denmark ther was more possible but Uk, France and Hungary were dead obvious to me

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg42109#msg42109

Offline rapsodia

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2012, 09:44:36 PM »

and I was so right on the UK Can :p

Yes, you totally called that one. I still think it's unfair though. He was not exactly perfect but definitely better than Blue.  :doh: But I've heard that he messed up big time in the jury rehearsal.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg42124#msg42124

Offline Danijel

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2012, 01:38:52 AM »
I guess no one ever thought of Norway and Bulgaria, as Norway seemed to be qualifying at least from 7th-8th while Bulgaria looked dead.
but Slovenia being so down makes the mystery even bigger...i guess just Zeljko took hell very much of her possible points...

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg42127#msg42127