Author Topic: [cafebabel.co.uk] Eurovision song contest: chamber of horrors  (Read 2324 times)

Offline Relyana

• Webmaster
  • Topic Author
    • Eurovision Forum | ESC Vibes
[cafebabel.co.uk] Eurovision song contest: chamber of horrors
« on: November 18, 2012, 12:48:59 PM »
Quote from: Alexis Brunelle@cafebabel.co.uk
Imagine trawling through the umpteen videos uploaded onto Youtube, full of drum-bashing Bulgarians, Georgian cossacks, German cowboys and tone-deaf Frenchies. I’ve glimpsed the screaming Swedes, the gymnast Greeks and electronic Ukrainians. I grinned and bore the lesbian Russians, Danish queens and multiple-voiced Serbs. That’s not all either. The Eurovision song contest is also a good opportunity to deepen the transatlantic friendships between the Polish Mariah Careys, Portuguese Jennifer Lopez‘ and Spanish Backstreet Boys. As if one model on earth wasn’t enough…

But watch out. During the Eurovision song contest the cliches aren’t only onstage, but in the commentator boxes. I previewed a small selection of French presenters and came across more than one xenophobic joke. The problem is that as nothing actually happens during the Eurovision song contest, you still have to entertain the viewers. No better remedy than a good old-fashioned nationalist stereotype or even an ickle macho comment on what a singer is wearing. Doesn’t hurt.

Do you agree with Alexis Brunelle, the author of this article, when he says that "the Eurovision song contest is everything but an instance in cultural exchange or musical discoveries"? "It’s just a huge entertainment programme", he says.

Read the full article here: Eurovision song contest: chamber of horrors

Source: ARTICLE BY ALEXIS BRUNELLE | TRANSLATION: NABEELAH SHABBIR @ cafebabel.co.uk

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1844.msg43112#msg43112
Sometimes I'm good but when I'm bad I'm even better

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
Re: [cafebabel.co.uk] Eurovision song contest: chamber of horrors
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 02:03:04 PM »
I have read the article and somehow I agree with the author. Since the American showbusiness has such a big influence worldwide, it is no surprise that most of the Eurovision songs are Americanized pop songs nowadays. Maybe it started with the abolishment of the national language rule, but that was also a logical move because the English speaking countries (Ireland, Malta and the UK) always received good results because we were able to understand their songs. Apart from Ireland in 1995, the English speaking countries always ended in the top 10 from 1991 (return of Malta in the contest) till 1999 (the year that the national language rule was abolished).

And it is a contest after all, so I understand that most countries prefer a half naked woman, shaking her hips, than a song that reflects the national culture. There are some countries that participate often with a song that reflects the national culture, Portugal for example, but they are not very successful in the contest these days.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1844.msg43114#msg43114
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
Psalm 23:4

Offline Niko

• Escvibes Friend
  • fan of Arlene Francis
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 04:40:50 PM »

And it is a contest after all, so I understand that most countries prefer a half naked woman, shaking her hips, than a song that reflects the national culture
. There are some countries that participate often with a song that reflects the national culture, Portugal for example, but they are not very successful in the contest these days.

I totally agree and if it would only be possible, I'd like to give a big hug to Alexis Brunelle for raising the cat onto the table. That what he wrote and what you also wrote, Remy, is so true. This year there were only a couple of countries which were reflects their national cultures (e.g. Albania, Finland, Portugal and Serbia). In music, USA is totally a curse to rest of the world.  :irked:

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1844.msg43118#msg43118
Åland forever!

Offline Danijel

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 10:38:13 AM »
The article is so right, even though he was pointing acts who took part in Helsinki 2007, still it is correct nowadays, and was correct back then. still a thing we all knew and agree. anyway it's always nice to see someone pointing out at the truth rather concetrating more on irrelevant and incorrect things as some still do...

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1844.msg43174#msg43174