Author Topic: ESC 2013 - What about if postponing it to 2014?  (Read 3755 times)

Offline Niko

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
  • fan of Arlene Francis
ESC 2013 - What about if postponing it to 2014?
« on: November 29, 2012, 03:57:36 PM »

All of us know that Europe (and especially EU area) is having an economical crisis at the moment. That is why I am asking everyone here, is it really important to have a very expensive ESC in 2013? Shouldn't it be better to postpone it to 2014 - or even longer - until European countries have better economical situation again. There are many more important things where to invest the money, just like:

- reduction of unemployment rates
- preventing the social exclusion of young people
- improving the living conditions of senior citizens and young families
- improving the education and schooling
- encouraging the European countries to get together rid of the other big financial and social problems.

This is at least what I think. Eurovision is no more a kind of social and cultural happening which "brings all countries closer each other" as what it used to be still about 20 years ago, Nowadays it is mostly a question of money and which host country can offer more kitch and pomp to the semifinals and finals - and as all of us know, only a handful of countries can afford that!

What do you think?

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1876.msg43295#msg43295
Åland forever!

Offline Büşra

• De Troubadour
Re: ESC 2013 - What about if postponing it to 2014?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 04:05:35 PM »
Seriously Niko?! Never. EVER! I don't think I would be able to live waiting 2 years for ESC!

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1876.msg43296#msg43296

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 12:33:13 PM »
I left Spain because of the crisis, now I'm looking for work in the Netherlands for months (that was also the reason that I didn't visit the forum last week, I had some job interviews). I can say that the economical crisis is hitting me from all angles. But to skip the contest next year will be very painful. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that it only costs 100K for a country to participate and I think that Sweden is able to host the contest in 2013. But if the worst comes to the worst, postponing the contest to 2014 would be a serious (yet painful) option I think.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1876.msg43299#msg43299
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
Psalm 23:4

Offline Relyana

• Webmaster
    • Eurovision Forum | ESC Vibes
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 11:29:07 AM »
I am very disappointed because the Romanian broadcaster TVR decided not to organize the Golden Stag Festival "for the time being". The contest has been abandoned for years.

I don't want the same to happen with ESC and to be honest, my personal belief is that only the end of the world can stop EBU from promoting and supporting the Eurovision Song Contest ... yay!  Even then, that might be just a temporary issue.  :shrug:

When crisis hit, no matter the nature of the problems nations are facing, we shall all try to see and protect those things that manage to survive no matter what and keep uniting people. The downside of the whole situation is bad enough as it is for us to add a new issue to the list.

If only a handful of countries can afford to participate at ESC, then only a handful of countries should participate at ESC. Anyone making an effort and participating despite their economic issues is more than welcome to join.

People need contests, gossips, direct interaction, passionate debates, different opinions, competition. People need music ...period.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1876.msg43310#msg43310
Sometimes I'm good but when I'm bad I'm even better

Offline Danijel

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 11:12:36 AM »
I think simple and plain, love should win.
it's totally weird to completely change dates of an event and move it to another year...just like there were in the past talks about making the football world cup once at 2 years instead of 4...this is just too weird...
and just like Remy said, i was also in this boat and was very close to leave Israel, but out of the sudden my life got different (and so far good) direction, so i moved to Beersheba, which is much cheaper than Tel-Aviv, so now i do all my best to concentrate in the future.
bottom line, i feel that in life, there's a solution for everything, and other things should not affect, even though they might look too bad sometimes.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1876.msg43336#msg43336