Author Topic: YOUR RANKING OF THE SONGS 2013  (Read 11257 times)

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
Re: YOUR RANKING OF THE SONGS 2013
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2013, 04:01:40 PM »
Can is f*cking amazing: my top 5 is all the 5 songs he named: in alphabetical order: France, Hungary, Italy Netherlands and Norway. You will discover in which order once I do the ranking but that is INSANE! Am I THAT obvious to read? :sick:

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1912.msg43755#msg43755

Offline rapsodia

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 04:48:17 PM »
Can is f*cking amazing: my top 5 is all the 5 songs he named: in alphabetical order: France, Hungary, Italy Netherlands and Norway. You will discover in which order once I do the ranking but that is INSANE! Am I THAT obvious to read? :sick:

:o
Five out of five?!
I wasn't really expecting coming that close but I guess we've come to know each other's ESC preferences too well in nine years' time.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1912.msg43760#msg43760

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 04:49:36 PM »
Five out of five?!
I wasn't really expecting coming that close but I guess we've come to know each other's ESC preferences too well in nine years' time.

five out of five, clean sweep, i kid you not, almost spooky ;D

yeah i guess we're coherent with ourselves and while we do change, some things about our taste are still there

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1912.msg43761#msg43761

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2013, 12:26:33 AM »
So now you've both decided it's either Moldova or San Marino at my #1 (not that I'm actually confirming this) let's see who is in the positions 21-30

30 - MACEDONIA - PRED DA SE RAZDENI - VLATKO LOZANOSKI & ESMA REDZEPOVA

The song actually starts quite nicely when it's just Vlatko singing....then on comes the angry looking red Furby that is Esma and completely ruins the whole thing with her whining and screeching.  I know that's her style of singing - and it really worked well in Imperija - but this song just didn't work at all.  They were on a hiding to nothing being the only ex-Yug in their semi but they didn't help themselves with this song.

29 - ALBANIA - IDENTITET - ADRIAN LULGJURAJ & BLEDAR SEJKO

I quite enjoyed Bledar's parts....but couldn't do with Adrian's voice at all.  There were parts of the song that were incredibly messy and just didn't work at all.  Overall it wasn't a great follow up to the wonderful Suus.

28 - GERMANY - GLORIOUS - CASCADA

The whole plagiarism thing aside (which incidentally I thought was utterly ridiculous anyway because other than an 8 letter one word title there was little in common with this and Euphoria) this was nothing more than a cheap late 90s dance track...which was incredibly badly sung.  It was widely touted as a pre-contest favourite so to see it fail spectacularly was quite gratifying (and nothing to do with Angela Merkel's policies as has since been claimed :laugh: )

27 - GREECE - ALCOHOL IS FREE - KOZA MOSTRA feat AGATHANOS IAKOVIDIS

Starts nicely with Agantanos' part but then the whole ska thing kicks in and it just became noisy.  The chorus is catchy and the performance was on the whole good fun to watch but it just isn't my cup of tea at all.

26 - CROATIA - MIZERJA - KLAPA S MORA

I'm known for disliking popera and whilst this wasn't popera per se it has an operatic style which doesn't sit well with me.  Vocally they were very good but the visual side of the performance was utterly drab and boring.  Still it was the best of the ex-Yug songs in an incredibly bad year for them.

25 - ROMANIA - IT'S MY LIFE - CEZAR

It will probably surprise many to see this so relatively high in my rankings considering how much I despise Slovenia 2007 and Sweden 2009.  So why is it so high?  Most of the reason has to do with Cezar himself who gave an absolute masterclass in vocal gymnastics which was particularly impressive.  The song could have been decent...but didn't quite get there.

24 - ITALY - L'ESSENZIALE - MARCO MENGONI

As well known as my dislike for popera is my dislike for the majority of Italian ESC entries.  Whilst a lot of fans drool and fawn over anything even remotely Italian I generally listen to them and watch them and think "is this going to be over soon?".  I just don't get the love for Italian ESC entries and this one is no exception.  Sure Marco is a talented singer but the song is just interminably dull beyond words.  There was nothing exciting about the visual performance either so it's 7th place and the almost universal love amongst fans remains (and will probably always remain) a complete mystery to me.

23 - UNITED KINGDOM - BELIEVE IN ME - BONNIE TYLER

I loved Bonnie in the 80s - Total Eclipse Of The Heart and Holding Out For A Hero are 2 EPIC songs - but she was hardly going to do well 30+ years after her heyday.  The song is nice enough - perhaps a little to middle of the road to stand out - but her vocal made her sound like she was drunk.  The sooner the BBC realise that sending someone who is eligible for a free bus pass and a state pension is really NOT the way to win votes the better.

22 - SWITZERLAND - TAKASA - YOU AND ME

A catchy little song but there was absolutely no spark to the performance whatsoever.  It seemed that the cameraman wanted to focus on the 95 year old - which considering the weak vocals from the 2 singers probably wasn't a bad thing.

21 - LITHUANIA - SOMETHING - ANDRIUS POJAVIS

I remember listening to this when it was chosen in December but when it came on in the semi I had absolutely no recollection of it whatsoever, so when it qualified I was most surprised.  4 days later when it came to the final I had completely forgotten it again.  By the time Ireland performed 24 songs later it had completely slipped my mind yet again.  When watching it it is quite enjoyable - and not only for his incredibly expressive eyebrows :).

SO IN THE TOP 20 ARE (in alphabetical order)

AUSTRIA
AZERBAIJAN
BELGIUM
CYPRUS
DENMARK
ESTONIA
FRANCE
GEORGIA
HUNGARY
ICELAND
IRELAND
ISRAEL
MALTA
MOLDOVA
NETHERLANDS
NORWAY
RUSSIA
SAN MARINO
SWEDEN
UKRAINE

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1912.msg43781#msg43781
Blue, Blue, Blue, Johnny Blue
Welche Farbe hat die Sonne?

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2013, 12:49:13 AM »
it's a very credible top 20, only one of them is a huge nightmare to me and in my bottom 5... the rest is quite probably in my top 20 too (i havent redone the post contest ranking yet so I'm not sure, all I know is my clear top 5 and four of these are still in your top 20 with only Italy missing out)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1912.msg43782#msg43782

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2013, 12:59:46 AM »
It's probably not a surprise that Italy misses out in my charts knowing my dislike for 95% of Italian ESC entries - especially those sang by men

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1912.msg43783#msg43783

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2013, 12:20:47 AM »
So into my top 20 we go

20 - IRELAND - ONLY LOVE SURVIVES - RYAN DOLAN

The song is not particularly exceptional but he performed it with confidence and looked hot...although not as hot as his dancers.  It definitely didn't deserve last place but in some ways it's no surprise it did finish last.

19 - BELGIUM - LOVE KILLS - ROBERTO BELLAROSA

The song got beefed up slightly from when it was chosen but there really wasn't a lot of ooomph to it.  He looked petrified all the way through but his performance in the final was marginally better than in the semi.  I still think it was slightly overrated though and was surprised at how well it did.

18 - SWEDEN - YOU - ROBIN STJERNBERG

Again it was a decent performance but there was little in the song to make me think "this is great".  It's certainly not a bad song but I struggle to remember much about it 2 seconds after it's finished.

17 - AUSTRIA - SHINE - NATALIA KELLY

A decent enough song with a nice catchy chorus and it was quite well performed too.  It's always difficult to be first on show but she gave a decent performance vocally.  The visual side of things was slightly lacking  but it was certainly a more deserving qualifier than Belarus for example

16 - DENMARK - ONLY TEARDROPS - EMMELIE DE FOREST

I was never convinced by this song when it was chosen and the outpouring of love for it that the majority of fans showed for it confused me.  Her voice is something I find slightly irritating - almost as though she's modelled her vocal style on Dolores O'Riordan of The Cranberries.  The start of the song is lovely but for me it just doesn't seem to go anywhere as it meanders along.  I didn't see it as a winner - but obviously many disagreed with me.

15 - GEORGIA - WATERFALL - SOPHO & NODIKO

The voices are strong and worked nicely together but the song was lacking something or was just too similar to Quedate conmigo from last year.  The performance was also a little stilted - and the part where she leant on him and he leant as well was just a little bit odd IMO.  I still think it was slightly underrated in the end though.

14 - RUSSIA - WHAT IF - DINA GARIPOVA

Pretty much a ballad by numbers with little originality about it.  However the vocal was very good - despite her looking rather nervous throughout.  There is little else I can say about this.

13 - CYPRUS - AN ME THIMASE - DESPINA OLYMPIOU

I love the sound of Greek when it's being sung in a ballad - it's such a beautiful sounding language.  The song itself is beautiful and Despina gave a competent but not outstanding performance thanks to a couple of wobbles towards the end.  I still think it should have qualified - but ultimately I'm not at all surprised it didn't.

12 - FRANCE - L'ENFER ET MOI - AMANDINE BOURGEOIS

Firstly I must say that when this song was revealed I wasn't that impressed with it at all and throughout the build up to the contest I remained unconvinced by it.  Amandine has a fabulous voice though and sold the song really well on the night hence it's moving up to the heady heights of #12.

11 - ISRAEL - RAK BISHVILO - MORAN MAZOR

Probably - no I will change that and say - Definitely the best female vocal performance of Semi 2 but...and it's a big but....the song takes a few listens to actually appreciate just how stunning it really is.  For this reason alone I have placed it outside my top 10.

So there you have it.  Alphabetically my top 10 are

AZERBAIJAN
ESTONIA
HUNGARY
ICELAND
MALTA
MOLDOVA
NETHERLANDS
NORWAY
SAN MARINO
UKRAINE

So the two suspected of being my #1 are both in the top 10.  Will one of them actually be #1 or will it be something else?  You will have to wait until tomorrow to find out.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1912.msg43803#msg43803

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2013, 12:41:10 AM »
i think (again i havent redone it so im not sure) we have 5 in common in the top 10, and glad amandine convinced just everyone on the night, except televoters (she was 10th with swedish jury and got nothing from them while hungary 17th got 3pts so obviously amandine did horrible in their televote and we already know italian televote when she finished last, and with the new voting system...)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1912.msg43804#msg43804

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2013, 12:48:20 AM »
Have you decided whether it's Moldova or San Marino yet or maybe something else?

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1912.msg43806#msg43806

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2013, 07:27:09 PM »
Hungary and Norway are surprises, but very welcomed by me

I knew you'd like Estonia and the Netherlands but they dont feel like Ian's winners for me

My first instinct was Ukraine, but you said close but not a winner, so San Marino, which seemed very you, except for that last minute who could have cooled you a bit, on the other hand, Moldova sounded perfect for you except for that over the top performance which also could have made you doubt

Malta, Iceland and Azerbaijan I expect to be 10th-8th

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1912.msg43817#msg43817

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2013, 11:31:48 PM »
10th - ESTONIA - ET UUS SAAKS ALGUSE - BIRGIT = 1 POINT

I was gutted when she didn't qualify from Eesti Laul in 2008 - especially as they chose that hideous Leto svet.  So seeing that she won the ticket I was quite excited by the song before I heard it.  Unfortunately I was slightly disappointed by it.  It wasn't that it's a bad song - because it's really beautiful - but it just wasn't as good as 365 Days (which remains one of my favourite NF songs).  The performance was as subtle and understated as it needed to be.  The vocal was excellent and heartfelt....but there was a little something missing - not sure what it was but that's why it isn't higher.

09 - NORWAY - I FEED YOU MY LOVE - MARGARET BERGER = 2 POINTS

When this was chosen I didn't particularly like it and all the way through the run up to the contest I couldn't understand why so many fans were raving about it and even touting it as a challenger to Denmark.  About a week before the contest I was listening to the CD and this song just clicked with me.  It has a great modern sound to it and Margaret is a great vocalist.  The performance could have been a bit more visually pleasing but overall there was little wrong with it and she looked stunning.

08 - SAN MARINO - CRISALIDE (VOLA) - VALENTINA MONETTA = 3 POINTS

Hearing that Valentina was coming back this year and that Seigel was once again writing the song I was filled with trepidation considering the mess that was last year's entry so when I did hear the song for the first time I was pleasantly surprised that it was actually a great song.  My only criticism of it is that it didn't actually need 2 tempo changes - 1 was sufficient.  The performance was strong and she sang it beautifully and the fact that it came close to qualifying (albeit 16 points away) was gratifying for the little nation.  Of course the rumours are already circulating that she will try for a third time in 2014 - but that remains to be seen.  I would suggest if she did that she sticks to the ballad style song - or try something different completely.

07 - ICELAND - EG A LIF - EYTHOR INGI = 4 POINTS

Without a shadow of a doubt the best male vocal performance of ESC 2013.  The voice is incredible and the song just suits his voice perfectly.  I was incredibly pleased that they kept it in Icelandic and actually changed very little from the NF.  The performance was vocally perfect and visually as subdued as it needed to be - exploding towards the end along with the song.  Iceland have been so consistent in recent years that it's no surprise that this is the 6th consecutive qualification and the 6th consecutive time they've finished in my top 10 of the year.

06 - THE NETHERLANDS - BIRDS - ANOUK = 5 POINTS

Anouk had been suggested so many times in the past as a possible Dutch entrant that it was no surprise that she finally gave in and took the ticket to Malmo.  There was great excitement about the song and it didn't fail to deliver.  A hauntingly beautiful song combined with Anouk's beautiful vocals was going to be a sure fire fan favourite.   The question was if it would actually translate into votes and get the first Dutch qualification since 2004....I don't know why we ever doubted her.   There was a touch of the Lana del Rey's about the song and the performance was beautifully understated.  It was great to see the Netherlands back in the final and in the top 10 and it was thoroughly deserved.

So that leaves my top 5 - in alphabetical order

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1912.msg43818#msg43818

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2013, 11:43:34 PM »

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2013, 11:47:12 PM »
So onto my top 5.

05 - HUNGARY - KEDVESEM (ZOOHACKER REMIX) - BYEALEX = 6 POINTS

This got a lot of stick when it qualified and many fans were surprised it did so well....I was not.  It is something completely different for ESC and it worked wonderfully.  Everything about it was so incredibly simple though and it was quirky and fun.  I would also say that guitarist Dániel Kővágó was most definitely one of the hottest guys to take to the stage this year.

04 - MALTA - TOMORROW - GIANLUCA BEZZINA = 7 POINTS

There is only one word to describe everything about this song and performance and that word is ADORABLE.  Gianluca is just utterly adorable....the song is utterly adorable....the story the song tells is utterly adorable....it's all just utterly adorable.  I've not seen anyone smile so much since Kenan in 2007 - but whilst Kenan's smile was creepy Gianluca's was adorable.  Adorable adorable adorable. 

03 - AZERBAIJAN - HOLD ME - FARID MAMMADOV = 8 POINTS

I've not been a fan of any Azeri entry in previous contests and their winner in 2011 ranks as one of the dullest and most forgettable winners ever....but this year IMO they got it absolutely spot on.  The song was a very good ballad with a bit of oomph about it.  The vocal was strong and steady and there's no doubt he is very easy on the eye.  The visual aspect of it with the guy in the box was brilliantly done.   All in all a clear best Azeri entry ever for me.

02 - UKRAINE - GRAVITY - ZLATA OGNEVICH = 10 POINTS

About a month before the Ukrainian NF I entered a contest on Facebook with a song by Zlata and it won the contest by an absolute landslide.  Prior to this I hadn't actually heard anything by her.  I was looking forward to hearing her ESC song and whilst it was nowhere near as good as the song I won the contest with (which I will post later) it was still a fabulous song.  They changed it before the contest and beefed it up slightly which did the song no harm whatsoever.  The only criticism I have of the performance was the use of the giant at the beginning which I thought was nonsensical.  Vocally she was utterly fabulous though.

01 - MOLDOVA - O MIE - ALIONA MOON = 12 POINTS

So here we have it my very clear #1 of the year as far as song quality goes.  The first time I listened to this song I knew it would take an absolute disaster for this not to end as my #1 of the year.  Vocally she absolutely nailed it both in the semi and the final.  There was some doubt expressed as to whether the performance itself would stop me from putting it at #1 - but for me the performance was actually really quite good and suited the song very well indeed.  However it was ultimately all about the voice which just absolutely blew me away.

FINAL RANKING

12 - MOLDOVA
10 - Ukraine
08 - Azerbaijan
07 - Malta
06 - Hungary
05 - Netherlands
04 - Iceland
03 - San Marino
02 - Norway
01 - Estonia
-------------
11th - Israel
12th - France
13th - Cyprus
14th - Russia
15th - Georgia
16th - Denmark
17th - Austria
18th - Sweden
19th - Belgium
20th - Ireland
21st - Lithuania
22nd - Switzerland
23rd - United Kingdom
24th - Italy
25th - Romania
26th - Croatia
27th - Greece
28th - Germany
29th - Albania
30th - Macedonia
31st - Armenia
32nd - Finland
33rd - Belarus
34th - Bulgaria
35th - Slovenia
36th - Serbia
37th - Spain
38th - Latvia
39th - Montenegro

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1912.msg43830#msg43830

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2013, 06:43:45 AM »
well I predicted Netherlands for Can, Cyprus for Niko and Ukraine for Ian, so I got Can's winner, Niko's third and Ian's runner-up

can anyone guess my winner then? :hug:

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1912.msg43839#msg43839