Author Topic: The language dilemma ...  (Read 2407 times)

Offline Relyana

• Webmaster
  • Topic Author
    • Eurovision Forum | ESC Vibes
The language dilemma ...
« on: May 28, 2013, 03:24:54 AM »
It's sad to see so many countries submitting entries performed in English year after year. That wouldn't be a bad thing if the lyrics wouldn't be so cheesy most of the times, not to mention that many artists are struggling to sing in a language they don't understand, let alone speak.

Where is the Euro part of the Vision in Eurovision? Or shall we call it Anglovision and stop looking for an answer?

Congratulations to all countries competing at ESC with songs performed in their native languages, no matter how good (usually bad) their entries end up being ranked.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1958.msg43976#msg43976
Sometimes I'm good but when I'm bad I'm even better

Offline Danijel

• Escvibes Team
Re: The language dilemma ...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 12:20:28 PM »
Unlike the early 2000's, in recent years it looks like there is improvement regarding national languages, especially as this year we got several countries singing in their own national language, who usually submit songs in english (like Albania, Estonia , Hungary, Iceland, Moldova). what still remains a fact, is that most of winners performed in english, and the former soviet block always in english and always do very well.

As far as i see it, i find most important is the song itself. i really don't care about the lyrics, especially if there are in language i don't understand, so i can still enjoy the music. anyway it will be much better to hear an artist sings in his\her own native language, as many sounds really pathetic with their "forced" english  :doh:

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1958.msg43978#msg43978

Offline Karel

• Escvibes Friend
Re: The language dilemma ...
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 08:55:11 PM »
In this year's edition there are 18 countries out of 39 singing in their own language, which is a new record since the introduction of the free language choice in 1999.

Personnaly, I think that a song has so much more to offer in the native language than in English. A singer can express his/her feelings much better in his/her own language.

For me, the language at the  ESC is very important. It's because of the Swedish song in 1998 that I started learning Swedish, because I really want to understand what Jill Johnson was singing about (Kärleken är). When I was a young boy in the 80's and 90's, Internet wasn't available and the Eurovision Song Contest was one of the only ways to hear foreign and exotic languages like Swedish, Finnish, Italian, Greek, Portuguese and so on  :)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=1958.msg44026#msg44026