Author Topic: Eurovision 2014-Personal Ranking  (Read 5061 times)

Offline bURN

• Burned
  • Topic Author
Eurovision 2014-Personal Ranking
« on: March 24, 2014, 07:44:25 PM »
Let's post here Our own ranking of the songs for this year  :-[ All the songs being revealed gives us as good understanding as to who will win . Let's see who is the forum's favorite.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=2026.msg44805#msg44805
But one day the old lovers long for more
 Dreams and desires of another youth
And they leave their families, betray their friends
 They don't want advice about how to be happy

Offline Danijel

• Escvibes Team
Re: Eurovision 2014-Personal Rating
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 10:15:55 PM »
Most of the songs i've heard only once or twice, so everything so far is based on first impression, and of course everything can still change a lot. here we go:

37. Poland
36. Ukraine
35. Malta
34. Azerbaijan
33. Denmark
32. Germany
31. France
30. Belarus
29. Sweden
28. Montenegro
27. Macedonia
26. Spain
25. Lithuania
24. Belgium
23. Estonia
22. San Marino
21. Portugal
20. Greece
19. Switzerland
18. Moldova
17. Latvia
16. Russia
15. Ireland
14. United Kingdom
13. Norway
12. Netherlands
11. Armenia
10. Austria
 9. Romania
 8. Slovenia
 7. Georgia
 6. Albania
 5. Iceland
 4. Italy
 3. Finland
 2. Hungary
 1. Israel

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=2026.msg44822#msg44822

Offline LifeAfterLove

• De Troubadour
Re: Eurovision 2014-Personal Ranking
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 11:51:03 PM »
1st San Marino
2 Iceland
3 Austria
4 Hungary
5 The Netherlands
6 Switzerland
7 Sweden
8 Malta
9 Finland
10 Spain

11th Portugal
12 Slovenia
13 FYR Macedonia
14 Norway
15 Romania
16 Albania
17 Greece
18 Montenegro
19 Belgium
20 Lithuania

21st Azerbaijan
22 United Kingdom
23 Israel
24 Georgia
25 Latvia
26 Russia
27 France
28 Estonia
29 Armenia
30 Germany

31st Ukraine
32 Belarus
33 Ireland
34 Italy
35 Denmark
36 Moldova
37 Poland

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=2026.msg44862#msg44862

Offline Danijel

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 07:49:52 PM »
Meanwhile, after the ESC as i've listened the songs some more rather than 1-2 times as of my previous ranking, some things were changed, and here comes the current ranking:

37. Poland (-)
36. Belarus (-6)
35. Ukraine (+1)
34. Denmark (-1)
33. Azerbaijan (+1)
32. Lithuania (-7)
31. Sweden (-2)
30. Latvia (-13)
29. Malta (+6)
28. Greece (-8)
27. Montenegro (+1)
26. Portugal (-5)
25. Georgia (-18)
24. Moldova (-6)
23. Germany (+9)
22. San Marino (-)
21. Russia (-5)
20. Belgium (+4)
19. Netherlands (-7)
18. Albania (-12)
17. Romania (-8)
16. Spain (+10)
15. United Kingdom (-1)
14. Ireland (+1)
13. Estonia (+10)
12. Macedonia (+15)
11. Finland (-8)
10. France (+21)
9.  Armenia (+2)
8.  Switzerland (+11)
7.  Slovenia (+1)
6.  Norway (+7)
5.  Austria (+5)
4.  Hungary (-2)
3.  Iceland (+2)
2.  Italy (+2)
1.  Israel (-)

In general, i don't think it was a good year, and i only enjoy listening my top 9.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=2026.msg44871#msg44871

Offline rapsodia

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 10:31:09 PM »
My full ranking:

1. Austria
2. Montenegro
3. Sweden
4. Netherlands
5. Norway
6. Spain
7. Hungary
8. Armenia
9. Germany
10. Israel
11. San Marino
12. United Kingdom
13. Italy
14. Russia
15. Belgium
16. Moldova
17. Slovenia
18. Switzerland
19. Georgia
20. Iceland
21. Poland
22. Belarus
23. Azerbaijan
24. Finland
25. Romania
26. Lithuania
27. Estonia
28. Albania
29. Malta
30. Denmark
31. Portugal
32. Ukraine
33. Latvia
34. Macedonia
35. Ireland
36. France
37. Greece

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=2026.msg44874#msg44874

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 12:56:26 AM »
Hello everyone.  Sorry I've been away so long :$.

Anywho here's my final ranking of the songs from this year - remember that this includes how the songs sounded in the arena as I was there for semi 1, semi 2 and the Jury Final.  Tonight it's 37-26

37 - Lithuania - Vilija Matačiūnaitė - Attention

What an absolute mess...both the song and the outfits.  Totally incoherent and lacking in any semblance of a tune.  Quite how this came so close to qualifying is absolutely beyond my comprehension

36 - Italy - Emma Marrone - La mia citta

The song never impressed me but the live performance was absolutely dreadful and because of that it has this lowly place in my rankings.

35 - Georgia - The Shin & Marika - Three Minutes To Earth

Another very messy song - but there was at least some semblance of order in this one.  I found the performance all rather confusing as well.

34 - Poland - Donatan & Cleo - My Slowanie

Ugh - cheap, tacky, tarty, trash.....and the song wasn't much better!!!  Tuneless and shouty.

33 - Belgium - Axel Hirsoux - Mother

There is no doubt that this guy can sing and has a great voice....BUT - and it is a big but - I find the song and the sentiment behind it all rather creepy.  The style of the song is a love song...but a love song like one would sing to a lover rather than your mother.  As for the OAP dancer in the background that just added to the all round creepiness of it all.

32 - Azerbaijan - Dilara Kosimova - Start A Fire

The song starts nicely and proceeds to go absolutely nowhere at all.  Dilara has a good voice but the performance was totally unconvincing both vocally and visually....I mean what exactly was the point of the trapeze artist ???

31 - Moldova - Cristina Scarlat - Wild Soul

I feel that if this had been sung by someone else I would have liked it more as there was something about Cristina's voice that I didn't like.  The performance was messy too and it was no surprise at all that it didn't qualify.

30 - Macedonia - Tijana - To The Sky

I quite liked this song when it was chosen but by the time I saw it in Copenhagen I had almost completely forgotten about it.  Unfortunately there was nothing in the performance to make it any more memorable.

29 - Ukraine - Mariya Yaremchuk - Tick Tock

Never really liked the song much and there was nothing in her performance to change my mind in that.  It's relative success came as a real surprise to me - even if it was Ukraine I didn't expect it to finish top 10.

28 - Germany - Elaiza - Is It Right?

I think Germany missed a great opportunity when Elaiza beat Unheilig in the NF.  The song was OK and the performance was OK too....but it just got completely lost between Conchita and Sanna.

27 - Albania - Hersi Matmuja - One Night's Anger

I was never quite sure what to make of this song.  On the one hand I quite like it and find her voice really quite pleasant to listen to...but on the other hand I found the live version in particular difficult to understand. 

26 - Belarus - TEO - Cheesecake

On the big stage at B&W Hallerne it didn't come across particularly well but on the smaller stage at Eurovision village it seemed to work better.  He was a lovely guy (I spoke to him after his performance at Eurovision village) but the song is still cheap and rather tacky.

So still in are (in alphabetical order)

ARMENIA
AUSTRIA
DENMARK
ESTONIA
FINLAND
FRANCE
GREECE
HUNGARY
ICELAND
IRELAND
ISRAEL
LATVIA
MALTA
MONTENEGRO
NETHERLANDS
NORWAY
PORTUGAL
ROMANIA
RUSSIA
SAN MARINO
SLOVENIA
SPAIN
SWEDEN
SWITZERLAND
UNITED KINGDOM

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=2026.msg44886#msg44886
Blue, Blue, Blue, Johnny Blue
Welche Farbe hat die Sonne?

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 12:28:25 AM »
Well it's time to continue with my top 25.  Tonight I will reveal 25-11 saving the top 10 for tomorrow.

25 - SAN MARINO - VALENTINA MONETTA - MAYBE (FORSE)

I was so pleased for Valentina that she finally qualified but the song just doesn't go anywhere in particular.  Her performance in the semi was much better than her performance in the final. 

24 - LATVIA - AARZEMNIEKI - CAKE TO BAKE

Rather odd to say the least but the chorus - whilst being completely inane - is really quite catchy.  The performance wasn't memorable at all and that is probably the reason why it didn't stand out at all.

23 - FRANCE - TWIN TWIN - MOUSTACHE

This was always destined for last place in that final.  The performance just didn't do the song any justice at all.  These guys were EVERYWHERE in Copenhagen during ESC week and every time I saw them on a smaller stage they impressed me  - they were madcap without being completely OTT.  Lorent (the singer) was one of the most genuinely nice guys I spoke to during the week as well.  Such a shame that they just looked completely lost on the big stage.  However being realistic the song is still not particularly great.

22 - ESTONIA - TANJA - AMAZING

Some people are saying that this is one of the most surprising non-qualifiers this year....but I just don't understand why.  A rather unoriginal formulaic song combined with a rather haphazard performance - bravo for almost staying in tune when being thrown about like that though.

21 - IRELAND - CANN-LINN feat KASEY SMITH

Was in my top 5 before the contest.  The performance was probably the worst of the entire contest - definitely from a vocal point of view.  I still do like the song but there's no way I can rank the performance higher than this....and what were they wearing??

20 - MONTENEGRO - SERGEJ CETKOVIC - MOJ SVIJET

As with San Marino I was pleased to see Montenegro qualifying.  Also I am pleased to see Montenegro finally sending a "song" and lifting themselves off the last place they have been in my rankings for the previous two years.  It's a nice pleasant song and it was a competent performance - but this sort of song never really excites me that much.

19 - FINLAND - SOFTENGINE - SOMETHING BETTER

It looked a lot better on TV than it did in the B&W Hallerne where it was just a lot of noise and the vocals weren't audible.  It's always good to see Finland doing well and this is probably a song I will listen too more in the future...but for now it just doesn't stand out quite enough.

18 - ROMANIA - PAULA SELING & OVI - MIRACLE

Such a disappointment after their magical 2010 entry.  I still adore Paula but would love to see her representing Romania on her own with a giant ballad to showcase that magnificent voice of hers.  The performance was vocally sound but visually a bit odd...I mean what was the cuddle for ???

17 - DENMARK - BASIM - CLICHE LOVE SONG

Obviously this was played everywhere throughout the week in Copenhagen.  It is insanely catchy - almost irritatingly so - but I just cannot help singing along to it.  The performance in the final was the reason why there was a delay in the Dutch song coming on - the "love" backdrop was supposed to drop all the way to the ground as it had in the Jury final.

16 - SWITZERLAND - SEBALTER - HUNTER OF STARS

I didn't rate this song at all when it was chosen and it pretty much completely passed me by pre-season.  However his performance in the semi-final really made me notice it which is why it has risen into the top half of my ranking.

15 - GREECE - FREAKY FORTUNE feat RISKY KIDD - RISE UP

Not normally my sort of song and if I was basing this ranking solely on performance at B&W Hallerne then it would probably be lower as the ESC performances weren't that great.  On the smaller stage at Eurovision Village they were much better (also without the trampoline).  Bonus points were awarded to them because Risky Kidd is unbelievably HOT!!!!!!

14 - SWEDEN - SANNA NIELSEN - UNDO

This song has "Ian will absolutely love it " written all over it.  An "americanized" ballad sung absolutely perfectly by a fantastic vocalist.  However, there is something missing in the song that means I only like it rather than love it.  I saw Sanna at Eurovision village and she did a medley of all her MF songs and when she got to Empty Room she gave me goosebumps.  Then she finished by singing Undo and whilst it was vocally excellent there was no goosebumps.

13 - ICELAND - POLLAPONK - NO PREJUDICE

When this was chosen I was like WTF is this crap?  When translated into English it took on a new dimension and suddenly it was a madcap song with a message.  So why is something like this as high as #13 in my rankings?  Well that is mostly to do with the guys themselves who were funny away from the stage too.  They spent a good half hour chatting with fans after performing at Eurovision village and anyone who wanted a photo with them got one.  The message of the song is also a reason for appreciating it and ranking it this high.

12 - SLOVENIA - TINKARA KOVAC - ROUND AND ROUND

Another one where the ranking is higher because of a Eurovision Village performance - at least I know she can actually play the flute and it wasn't just a prop.  They did an a capella version at Eurovision village and it actually showed that Tinkara is a very talented singer.  The chorus is catchy and I think it deserved much better in the final.

11 - ARMENIA - ARAM MP3 - NOT ALONE

Was in my top 10 pre-contest.  The vocal wasn't as strong as I had hoped for but the song is still excellent.  Visually it was enough for a song of that type.  I was sat close to the stage at the jury final on the friday night and could feel the heat from the flames that burst out of the stage during the song.  Based on studio versions this would still be top 10.

So in my top 10 in alphabetical order are

AUSTRIA
HUNGARY
ISRAEL
MALTA
NETHERLANDS
NORWAY
PORTUGAL
RUSSIA
SPAIN
UNITED KINGDOM

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=2026.msg44901#msg44901
Blue, Blue, Blue, Johnny Blue
Welche Farbe hat die Sonne?

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 02:18:45 AM »
So here's the final part of my ranking

10 - MALTA - FIRELIGHT - COMING HOME

Always loved the song from when it was chosen...apart from 1 part of the song - and that is her solo.  I still feel the same that it would have been higher both in the actual contest and in my rankings if she hadn't done that little solo part.

09 - SPAIN - RUTH LORENZO - DANCING IN THE RAIN

I loved Ruth when she was in X Factor in the UK 5 years ago - voted for her numerous times then.  I was pleased that she got the ticket to go to Copenhagen especially as she was a much better performer than Brequette who was the absolute fanfavourite in the NF.  Ruth appeared at Eurovision Village....just as it started to rain :o - did a 1:45 acapella version of her song and went again.  In the Jury Final on the Friday she absolutely nailed her vocal performance though so it ultimately wasn't a huge surprise that it did relatively well.

08 - ISRAEL - MEI FINEGOLD - SAME HEART

Was in my top 3 pre-contest...and having watched her in the arena in Semi 2 I was convinced she would qualify.  It was a powerful performance....but watching it back as the TV viewers saw it there was nothing in the performance that really grabbed you.  Along with Estonia it was the performance that really didn't come across well on TV (something about being drawn #2 in the semis :scratch: ).  Still a fab song though.

07 - NORWAY - CARL ESPEN - SILENT STORM

A very haunting song in which you can almost hear the storm that is going on in his soul.  His performance was as subtle and understated as it needed to be and it was good watching it back seeing that he interacted with the camera a bit more than in the NF.  Deserved a decent placing

06 - UNITED KINGDOM - MOLLY - CHILDREN OF THE UNIVERSE

Loved this from the moment I heard it and I was convinced that it would do well.  The performance in the jury final was solid and vocally sound.  Watching the performance from the final on the TV though it all seemed rather flat and uninspiring which possibly explained the poor finish.  Hopefully the BBC will continue with this sort of selection - a young unsigned talent as I think it is the way forward.

05 - RUSSIA - TOLMACHEVY SISTERS - SHINE

I really liked this song when it was revealed and nothing changed my opinion of that throughout the live performances that the girls gave throughout the week.  The booing from the audience when they were announced as qualifiers was unfair - despite it being somewhat understandable.  To their eternal credit the girls conducted themselves with dignity throughout.  During the semi they were sat in front of the Ukrainian delegation and during the recap every time Tick Tock came on both girls turned round and smiled at Mariya and gave her the thumbs up.  Perhaps I have ranked it this high because of the booing but I still really love the song.

04 - THE NETHERLANDS - THE COMMON LINNETS - CALM AFTER THE STORM

I thought it was a nice song and a decent enough performance from the arena perspective so it came as a surprise to me how everyone was suddenly raving about it.  Then I watched the performance as the TV viewers saw it - and it was magical.  From the arena you couldn't quite see what was going on on the stage underneath Ilse and Waylon and that was integral to the performance.  Just goes to show that a good song can do well whatever country sends it.

03 - PORTUGAL - SUZY - QUERO SER TUA

Got the biggest cheer and applause from the audience in semi 1.  Every time it came on during the recaps the whole green room was up and dancing to it.  When she didn't qualify Suzy went round all the other non qualifiers in the green room and comforted them.  The following day she appeared at Eurovision Village and got another fantastic reception from the fans.  When she came off stage and went to go to her car a group of Venezuelans started singing the song...so she ran over to them and joined in.  She spent the next 45 minutes talking, having pictures taken, signing autographs and singing the song over and over again.  She was an absolute sweetheart.  As to the song - it just makes me happy listening to it...it's just 3 minutes of joyous escapism and it really should have qualified.

02 - AUSTRIA - CONCHITA WURST - RISE LIKE A PHOENIX

When ORF announced that Conchita would represent them I was dubious.  I thought her song in the 2012 Austrian NF was nothing more than a giant cliche and I was convinced that her vocals would never stand up to the rigours of a stronger song.  Then we heard the song and I was pleased that it was a better song than That's What I Am but I still wasn't convinced that it was anything more than a huge gimmick.  Then came the performance in Semi 2....and OMG she just blew me away.  The reception she got was absolutely phenomenal and totally deserved.  In the final she even got a bigger reception than Basim.

01 - HUNGARY - ANDRAS KALLAY-SAUNDERS - RUNNING

This song was love at first listen and nothing has changed in that regard - I still absolutely love the song.  The performances were solid but I actually preferred the visual performance from the NF - especially the way the dancers appeared.  Yes the subject matter is controversial and it was dealt with in a rather blase style lyrically - but it doesn't take anything away from the song itself IMO.

So my final ranking is

1. HUNGARY
2. AUSTRIA
3. PORTUGAL
4. NETHERLANDS
5. RUSSIA
6. UK
7. NORWAY
8. ISRAEL
9. SPAIN
10. MALTA
11. ARMENIA