Author Topic: ESC 2014 | Semi-Final 1  (Read 3955 times)

Offline Relyana

• Webmaster
  • Topic Author
    • Eurovision Forum | ESC Vibes
ESC 2014 | Semi-Final 1
« on: May 06, 2014, 10:17:20 PM »
Eurovision Song Contest 2014 Semi-Final 1

01   Armenia - Aram MP3 - Not Alone

02   Latvia - Aarzemnieki - Cake To Bake

03   Estonia - Tanja - Amazing

04   Sweden - Sanna Nielsen - Undo

05   Iceland - Pollapönk - No Prejudice

06   Albania - Hersi - One Night's Anger

07   Russia - Tolmachevy Sisters - Shine

08   Azerbaijan - Dilara Kazimova - Start A Fire

09   Ukraine - Mariya Yaremchuk - Tick - Tock

10   Belgium - Axel Hirsoux - Mother

11   Moldova - Cristina Scarlat - Wild Soul

12   San Marino - Valentina Monetta - Maybe (Forse)

13   Portugal - Suzy - Quero Ser Tua

14   The Netherlands - The Common Linnets - Calm After The Storm

15   Montenegro - Sergej Ćetković - Moj Svijet

16   Hungary - András Kállay-Saunders - Running

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=2028.msg44831#msg44831
Sometimes I'm good but when I'm bad I'm even better

Offline Relyana

• Webmaster
  • Topic Author
    • Eurovision Forum | ESC Vibes
Re: ESC 2014 | Semi-Final 1
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 11:57:49 PM »
.. and the finalists are:

Montenegro

Hungary

Russia

Armenia

Azerbaijan

San Marino

Ukraine

Sweden

The Netherlands

Iceland

Congratulations and good luck on Saturday!

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=2028.msg44832#msg44832
Sometimes I'm good but when I'm bad I'm even better

Offline Danijel

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 12:35:32 AM »
mmm....i'm both surprised and not surprised at all about the results, so here are my thoughts about tonight's show:

01   Armenia - Aram MP3 - Not Alone - This was definite qualifier all the way.

02   Latvia - Aarzemnieki - Cake To Bake - This was eliminated for sure all the way. most likely got the last place and if it reached 10 points, it's only thanks to some neighbor votes. really one song too much in this year contest.

03   Estonia - Tanja - Amazing - I never checked the odds this year, but just by writing these lines, i find this is the biggest shock elimination. i think the performance was very convincing, and i thought the fact it's after Latvia, gave it advantage. i guess the song was a bit oldfashioned, though not so much for my ears...

04   Sweden - Sanna Nielsen - Undo - This was definite qualifier all the way, and i don't see any other winner than this to Semi-final 1. the performance was convincing, but still nothing changed my opinion about the song, as i find it really overrated boring bad song.

05   Iceland - Pollapönk - No Prejudice - Best song of tonight. really cheerful performance, i really hoped to see Iceland in the final, and it came in the last qualifier announcement, so that made me happy of course.

06   Albania - Hersi - One Night's Anger - I liked the song before, and especially the guitar solo, but something in it just made the song very forgettable, so i'm not surprised it didn't survive the semi.

07   Russia - Tolmachevy Sisters - Shine - Nothing special and very plain song, and i think in live, it was even much plain than the studio, i really thought this would be the first time that Russia is eliminated, especially thanks to that country behaviour, but i guess even if Russia would send some singing cockroach, they would still qualify. to conclude everything, the crowd have just said his opinion about this qualification, and it was funny that the presenter said this is top contender to win (because it is Russia and not because of the song i guess)...

08   Azerbaijan - Dilara Kazimova - Start A Fire - This was sure qualifier all the way. not because of the song which was very boring and not because of performance, but most likely because it's Azerbaijan.

09   Ukraine - Mariya Yaremchuk - Tick - Tock - The biggest horror of tonight. other countries with similar songs did not qualify in the past, and no way this would qualify if represented some Czech Republic or Slovakia. another song too much in the final, and sadly, i find it because of the country and not the song, as same goes for Russia.

10   Belgium - Axel Hirsoux - Mother - Not bad at all, but i've said before the fat guy thing won't work, so no surprise here.

11   Moldova - Cristina Scarlat - Wild Soul - Pretty good song, but all the way i got the feeling it got swallowed somehow there. no surprise here about the elimination.

12   San Marino - Valentina Monetta - Maybe (Forse) - San Marino in the final for the first time in their history is probably the biggest surprise of the evening. the great milf from San Marino should have qualified in 2013, but not now. big surprise here.

13   Portugal - Suzy - Quero Ser Tua - Even if the performance was convincing, nothing would have turn up the non-existing chances of the song, as i said before, this one is extremely oldfashioned, and i guess it only appealed to oldfashioned guys lol.

14   The Netherlands - The Common Linnets - Calm After The Storm - I liked the song at first, and saw it as definite qualifier, but something in the performance made me wonder, as it was very forgettable and in a string of not so strong songs. now i got surprised it qualified, but i think it will end something like 19th in the final.

15   Montenegro - Sergej Ćetković - Moj Svijet - Montenegro in the final for the first time in their history! i'm surprised here, and yes the performance was good, but the song is far from being good, so i really don't get what this one is doing in the final. i preferred more the fat guy from Belgium would be a finalist instead of this.

16   Hungary - András Kállay-Saunders - Running - It was my #2 in overall, but i must say the the performance wasn't so good as the studio version is, and András didn't sing so good at all. still it is all meaningless, as i found this one as definite qualifier all the way.

In  general, i was right about 6 of the 10 qualifiers, which were: Hungary, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Ukraine, Sweden and Iceland. i would prefer Estonia, Albania, Belgium, Moldova and even Portugal in place of Montenegro, Russia, Azerbaijan, Ukraine and Sweden.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=2028.msg44833#msg44833

Offline Niko

• Escvibes Friend
  • fan of Arlene Francis
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 04:12:32 PM »
Even if my services are no more needed here. I decided to tell you my full ranking list of this semifinal. Actually, I hadn't listened / watched any of the songs befpre. so I heard all the songs for the first time last night. I would call this semifinal for "back to 1970's", because excluding 2 songs, there were no acrobatics, just singing. So, it was what I loved: music as music and acrobatics at circus. :)

So, here is my ranking and there is something really historic in them, something which I thought would never happen:

1st - Sweden  :o
2nd - San Marino
3rd - Latvia
4th - The Netherlands
5th - Armenia
6th - Montenegro
7th - Albania
8th - Hungary
9th - Azerbaidjan
10th - Ukraine

11th - Russia
12th - Belgium
13th - Moldova
14th - Iceland
15th - Estonia
16th - Portugal

It means that 8 of my top 10 songs qualified, which means that I am very happy about the results.   Now I will start waiting for tomorrow evening, just to hear 15 songs more.  :)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=2028.msg44836#msg44836
Åland forever!

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 11:31:35 PM »
Love to see your ranking. :)

Looking forward to the 2nd semi-final.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=2028.msg44838#msg44838
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
Psalm 23:4

Offline LifeAfterLove

• De Troubadour
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 05:50:29 PM »
I'd rank them like this ...

1st San Marino - soooooooooo happy that she got through. I gasped ! Beautiful performance, I wouldn't change a thing. As I watched, I thought ''why didn't they stage her song last year, this way ?!''
2nd - Iceland - I held my breath 'til that last reveal ! I find myself singing this song more than any other, this past few weeks. :yes:
3 - Hungary - Excellent ! The dancers added to the song.
4 - Netherlands  - The camerawork/staging was so effective !
5 - Sweden - I miss the diamond curtain drops from melodifestivalen, but still classy.
6 - Montenegro - the skater isn't needed. His voice is enough to sell the song.

7 - Portugal - the front of her dress needed more sequins, I kept staring at her chest, even though I'm a gay guy. Song makes me think of summer holidays.
8 - Belgium - the lyrics are odd, but I still like the song. For me, he was the shock non qualifier. I thought he would make it.
9 - Albania - I didn't like this before the contest, but like it now. Her singing ''thankyou'' at the end was a bit embarrassing though.  :-[
10 - Latvia - kind of annoying buskers, and not expected to make my 10, but it was a cheerful performance that just changed my mind.

11 Russia - hated the staging for the first half of the song : hair tied together  :-\ a see saw  :irked: glass rods  :talktothehand: , but it got better when the staging becomes more sunny. I don't think twins should wear identical clothes, not in same colours anyway, it looks weird, especially as grown ups.

12 - Azerbaijan - gorgeous dress. Nice voice. Song a bit dull, and the trapeze put me off.
13 - Armenia - the first half is so dull that i fell into a boredom induced coma. I woke up towards the end when it steps up a gear. I wish it had been in top gear from start to finish.
14 - Estonia - came across as a Euphoria clone.
15 - Ukraine - what does hamster wheel have to do with song ? ??? Hungary could use it (but glad they didn't) for Running in the wheel. Silly gimmick.
16 - Moldova - forgettable song. Not bad, just forgettable. She looked better with hair extensions ,so not sure why she ripped them out.  ???

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=2028.msg44840#msg44840

Offline TrayBake

• Escvibes Team
    • Dyspraxic Chat
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 01:56:20 AM »
tbh im quite shocked Estonia never made it was in my opinion one of the best songs of the night, but do think the video is too much like what you would see from an advertisement on tv.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=2028.msg44848#msg44848

Offline bURN

• Burned
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 12:46:24 AM »
I do not see the big deal with the Estonian song sorry. It lacked something therefore it stayed in the semis.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=2028.msg44885#msg44885
But one day the old lovers long for more
 Dreams and desires of another youth
And they leave their families, betray their friends
 They don't want advice about how to be happy

Offline TrayBake

• Escvibes Team
    • Dyspraxic Chat
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 03:58:02 AM »
no need to be sorry if we all agreed on everything world be dull :)

For me it was quite catchy and nice sound.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=2028.msg45018#msg45018