Author Topic: ESC 2014 | Final  (Read 3774 times)

Offline Relyana

• Webmaster
  • Topic Author
    • Eurovision Forum | ESC Vibes
ESC 2014 | Final
« on: May 10, 2014, 09:45:01 PM »
This is the running order for the Eurovision Song Contest 2014 Final

• Ukraine
  • Belarus
  • Azerbaijan
  • Iceland
  • Norway
  • Romania
  • Armenia
  • Montenegro
  • Poland
  • Greece
  • Austria
  • Germany
  • Sweden
  • France
  • Russia
  • Italy
  • Slovenia
  • Finland
  • Spain
  • Switzerland
  • Hungary
  • Malta
  • Denmark
  • The Netherlands
  • San Marino
  • United Kingdom

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=2032.msg44857#msg44857
Sometimes I'm good but when I'm bad I'm even better

Offline bURN

• Burned
Re: ESC 2014 | Final
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 11:45:13 PM »
I believe that Sweden is gonna win..

Here is my ranking

1 Sweden
2 Azerbaijan
3 Romania
4 Austria
5 Hungary
6 United Kingdom
7 Denmark
8 Norway
9 Italy
10 Montenegro
11 Switzerland
12 The Netherlands
13 Malta
14 Poland
15 Finland
16 Germany
17 Spain
18 San Marino
19 Ukraine
20 Belarus
21 Russia
22 Greece
23 Armenia
24 Slovenia
25 France

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=2032.msg44858#msg44858
But one day the old lovers long for more
 Dreams and desires of another youth
And they leave their families, betray their friends
 They don't want advice about how to be happy

Offline Relyana

• Webmaster
  • Topic Author
    • Eurovision Forum | ESC Vibes
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 01:33:47 AM »
Sometimes I'm good but when I'm bad I'm even better

Offline rapsodia

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 02:27:01 AM »
Fantastic winner!
Definitely one of the greatest vocal performances ever in the contest history!
Well done Austria!

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=2032.msg44860#msg44860

Offline Danijel

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 07:03:32 AM »
Indeed - Fantastic winner! Conchita just gave super magnificent vocal performance, and no one could do it better than her for this type of song, and this is totally one of the most deserved and justified winners of all time! i'm very happy that next year we'll go to a city with lots of music history (assuming it will be in Wien), and also great for Austria after all those years.

Others i liked a lot (too some were extremely underrated) were: Italy, Hungary, Armenia, Norway, Switzerland, Iceland and Slovenia

Today i guess we can all draw beard on our faces :)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=2032.msg44861#msg44861

Offline LifeAfterLove

• De Troubadour
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 12:06:18 AM »

Offline Niko

• Escvibes Friend
  • fan of Arlene Francis
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 03:18:31 PM »
I have lately been a little bit busy with my work, so I am only now telling you my opinions about the final. The winner was also my favorit, but I don't care if the singer was gay, straight, goat or Martian. The thing which made me  love the song was the voice and the performance of the singer. All things considered everything in it was so hypnotic, that I knew that it will win. But now, here comes my ranking list of the final:

1st - Austria
2nd - San Marino
3rd - The Netherlands
4th . Hungary
5th - Spain
6th - Finland
7th - Sweden
8th - Denmark
9th - Slovenia
10th - Arnenia
11th - Greece
12th - Germany
13th -  Switzerland
14th - Malta
15th - Norway
16th - Montenegro
17th - Ukraine
18th - Belarus
19th - Azerbaidjan
20th - Iceland
21st - Russia
22nd - Romania
23rd - United Kingdom
24th - France
25th - 26th - Poland and Italy: Both as horrible that I can't say which one is worse.  :ack:

I would be very happy about the comments. So, if you have time and interest or think that my ranking is strange, please comment. I would be happy about everything.  :)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=2032.msg44867#msg44867
Åland forever!

Offline Danijel

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 07:17:11 PM »
I would be very happy about the comments. So, if you have time and interest or think that my ranking is strange, please comment. I would be happy about everything.  :)

Great number one! i love it also because it was just magnificent and not because Conchita is gay straight or goat :)

I thought that Armenia, Switzerland, Malta, Norway and Iceland would be higher at your list, while Denmark (which is horror imo) and Greece looks higher at your list.
Totally agree about Poland, hell yeah it was the worst song, but Italy is just great imo, but i don't blame you, as you've only listened the song in the evening itself, and the Italian girl just sang too bad unfortunately...

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=2032.msg44869#msg44869

Offline rapsodia

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 08:57:09 PM »
I have lately been a little bit busy with my work, so I am only now telling you my opinions about the final. The winner was also my favorit, but I don't care if the singer was gay, straight, goat or Martian. The thing which made me  love the song was the voice and the performance of the singer. All things considered everything in it was so hypnotic, that I knew that it will win. But now, here comes my ranking list of the final:

1st - Austria
2nd - San Marino
3rd - The Netherlands
4th . Hungary
5th - Spain
6th - Finland
7th - Sweden
8th - Denmark
9th - Slovenia
10th - Arnenia
11th - Greece
12th - Germany
13th -  Switzerland
14th - Malta
15th - Norway
16th - Montenegro
17th - Ukraine
18th - Belarus
19th - Azerbaidjan
20th - Iceland
21st - Russia
22nd - Romania
23rd - United Kingdom
24th - France
25th - 26th - Poland and Italy: Both as horrible that I can't say which one is worse.  :ack:

Perhaps not so surprisingly we have the same winner again Niko!  :hug:
And we also have no less than 7 songs in common in the top ten. I think you're a little bit harsh to two wonderful ballads, from Montenegro and Norway.
From your top ten my least favorite is certainly Denmark. I can understand the appeal of Slovenian and Finnish entries but for me they are only midtable songs.
About the bottom 5 of your list, well we share only France there, though Romania is near too. I can understand Poland at the bottom there, but it proved to be some sort of a grower for me and I liked Cleo's live vocals much better than I anticipated. Italy is not an instant song at all, I know that too. As a big Emma fan, I was hugely disappointed when I first heard it. That one also grew on me in time but unfortunately Emma's live performance left much to be desired.
In my own list this year's bottom firmly belongs to Greece and France, while I don't particularly hate them (it's indeed a decent year in song quality) they both are far from what I would call "music" and neither was particularly well-performed on the night as well.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=2032.msg44872#msg44872

Offline rapsodia

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 10:25:41 PM »
And now my full ranking for the final with some commentary:

1. Austria: I agree, this would also be my winner for the song and performance only no matter who sang it. But of course the act was spectacular as a whole and I also support the message Conchita gives with the beard. Gender identity is a serious issue and I strictly believe that individualism is the way to go about it. So it's a remarkable achievement that someone with such an unconventional look could win the whole thing with such a big margin (even bigger in the televoting only), but the most important of it from my point of view that it was a fully deserved victory in terms of music and show quality.

2. Montenegro: This lovely ballad was my winner until the live performances but it switched places with Conchita on the big night. I still think this song is slightly better than the Austrian one but it lacked the "oomph factor" the other one so richly showed. Of course it's known that I'm a sucker for the Balkan ballad and Sergej gave another unforgettable example of this genre to the contest history, carrying Montenegro to the final for the first time. It was also a very solid vocal performance too.

3. Sweden: As a Melodifestivalen agnostic I had no idea who Sanna Nielsen was before this year. But I've searched some of her past songs ever since because she is definitely a magnificent singer. The song is not exactly spectacular or out of this world but Sanna's performance elevated it to a whole other level. A totally deserved third position.

4. Netherlands: Talk about getting your act together! Two years in a row we have wonderful entries from the Netherlands. While the charming song has been growing on me since the day one, the absolutely wonderful staging with solid vocals and a magnificent camerawork made this one another very special entry this year. Who'd have believed that the Netherlands would come second at the ESC, only two years ago? Very well done!

5. Norway: A wonderful ballad with excellent lyrics and a very strong musical structure. As far as the songs go I think this one is absolutely top notch. However the performance is never in the same league as the song neither in studio nor in live. Carl is not exactly a bad performer but he's not good enough to pull this one off smoothly either. Still easily top five material for me, even in a competitive year like this.

6. Spain: I like the verses of this one much better than the chorus. While Ruth is not really an understated performer she definitely has one magnificent set of pipes. Without the water gimmick which did nothing to me, I'd have put this higher maybe but all in all an unspectacularly solid effort from Spain this year. Deservedly the highest ranked of the big five.

7. Hungary: I have my doubts about the lyrics, both on an aesthetics level and also for the arguable trivializing of a rather serious and disturbing subject matter, but it was musically very well done. And the performance was quite good too. I thought Hungary was hugely overrated last year, but this year their top five position is more or less justified.

8. Armenia: If based on studio versions only, I'd have ranked this much higher. It's a great innovative effort which unfortunately didn't deliver its full potential when performed live, which was a shame. I think this could have been huge back in the orchestra days. I'm still glad that this was the highest ranked Eastern entry this year over the likes of Ukraine and Russia.

9. Germany: I can't really vouch for its quality (much less for the live performance) but there's something I genuinely like about this entry. Objectively speaking probably got what it deserved, but I'm happy that it was placed a little better than Cascada's flop last year.

10. San Marino: I still think last year's entry was miles better than this one, but it felt like a good closure (I guess) to see Valentina and San Marino in the final at last. It was a classy albeit slightly old-fashioned ballad and she defended it very well. Hopefully San Marino will be able to produce some other talents in the years to come.

11. United Kingdom: I never bought that it was a favorite and I didn't even find the appeal for a long time. Now I partially get it. This is just a fine song and Molly definitely has the voice. But I still think she lacks stage presence.

12. Italy: Oh Emma, no! You make it so hard to defend you! Almost any other song from her discography is stronger than this one. But it's still not that terrible to me. Well at least in the studio.

13. Russia: I think it's a rather enjoyable song without being original or outstanding. Twins' vocal performance was OK, but far from perfect. However the staging with all that meaningless props and a quite inexplicable Rui Andrade reeked desperation. Definitely didn't belong to top ten, but music wise it was not a crime against good taste or something. So I find all the booing rather tasteless, misplaced and immature.

14. Slovenia: Just an OK song, competently performed. Of course should've been placed higher but I guess nobody was surprised at that outcome.

15. Switzerland: I still find this song borderline annoying with its over the top cheerfulness. However Sebalter is a magnetic performer and without being a great vocalist or something he manages to sell his rather basic song better than it actually deserved.

16. Iceland: It was a pleasant surprise for me, because I almost hated the studio version. But in the live performance everything somehow came together. Silly but both entertaining and also touching with the sincere simplicity of its (rather true) message.

17. Poland: Another positive surprise for me. I can't really defend this one musically (except for mostly great vocals from Cleo) but I think as a whole act it was entertaining without going over the top. And I really like that little interlude with folksy elements.

18. Belarus: Silly, cheap, simple but very well executed. I think both the live performance and the studio arrangements were done very professionally and it stood out as one of the better uptempo entries in this year full of strong ballads. One of the better entries from Belarus too.

19. Azerbaijan: This is definitely not one of their worst entries, so it's really surprising that it did so poorly in the televoting. But with many better ballads sung by stronger performers it didn't really deserve much better than it actually did. I think apart from Dilara's unintelligible English pronunciation there was nothing particularly wrong with it, while there was very little particularly appealing too.

20. Finland: Not my style at all, but I kinda like this one in the studio. Live performance felt half baked to me, especially vocally, but I guess I'm in the minority since it almost hit the top ten.

21. Romania: Not exactly terrible but definitely disappointing. It was not a strong song enough to beat their previous effort to begin with but the live performance with that ugly circular piano and the mostly insipid gimmick of hologram made it even less impressive. And Paula (whom I loved back in 2010) was kinda disappointing too both in the vocal and visual departments.

22. Malta: A very dignified performance of a song for which I would never care in a million years. For once I'm siding with televoters as opposed to juries.

23. Denmark: Maybe not particularly bad but very annoying song and performance. While I still find it mildly preferable to other three uptempo finalists, I don't think I would ever want to see that performance or hear that song again.

24. Ukraine: Even in a year with wonderful results like this one, there should be a stinker in top ten. Apart from the looks of the admittedly very pretty singer I can't find anything even remotely likeable with the song or the performance with that horrid hamster-wheel.

25. France: So, at long last France tastes the last place and deservedly so. Anything over 23th place would have been overrated for this thing.

26. Greece: Just a big no from me! I must have heard it at least ten times now and I still have difficulty to find a melody among those random beats. Clearly there's a market for this kind of music but I'm glad that it's not this contest.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=2032.msg44873#msg44873