Author Topic: Estonia 2015 | Elina Born & Stig Rästa - Goodbye to Yesterday  (Read 3326 times)

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author

Who will be victorious in the Estonian selection and represent them at ESC 2015 in Austria?

Use this thread to discuss the Estonian selection

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=2064.msg47400#msg47400
Blue, Blue, Blue, Johnny Blue
Welche Farbe hat die Sonne?

Offline Irisado

• Rock'N'Roll Kid
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
Re: Estonia 2015
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 04:14:50 PM »
The Estonian final takes place tonight.  There are ten contenders:

1. Luisa Vark - Minu päike

This is one of those acts that could only be seen at Eurovision.  They sing pleasantly enough, but the staging just leaves me unable to take them seriously.  Also, the 'oo-ooo' sound they make at points sounds like a deranged cuckoo.  I really don't want to see this win.

2. Maia Vahtramäe - Üle Vesihalli Taeva

This falls a bit flat for me.  It's just too dull for Eurovision.  If it's meant to be a ballad, it needs a lot more passion and energy.  If it's not meant to be ballad, then I'm not really sure what it's supposed to be.  At the moment it just sounds like watered down folk music.  Not very appealing in my opinion.

3. Elina Born & Stig Rästa - Goodbye to Yesterday

This is better.  She's a good singer, and I quite like the retro set.  My only problem with this song is his voice and the fact that he's trying to copy someone else.  I can't figure out who he's trying to emulate, but whoever it is, he's doing it badly.  This song would be much better if he just played the guitar and let Elina do all the singing.

4. Kali Briis Band - Idiot

Oh my, no thanks!  This is just awful.  His singing is poor and the wailing and echo voice is really irritating.  The tune is also way too electronic.  The song title is enough for this not to win either in my opinion.

5. Robin Juhkental & The Big Bangers - Troubles

He is way too cheesy, and it's pretty discordant too.  The keyboard parts are not too bad, but that's about all I can say that's good about this.  The sound of trumpets combined with his out of tune voice make me want to reach for the earplugs!

6. Daniel Levi - Burning Lights

Well, at least this has a bit of energy.  He's not a convincing singer though.  The delivery of the lyrics is too hurried and lacks punch.  This would have been better as a slower song with deeper and richer vocal delivery.

7. Elisa Kolk - Superlove

I like this.  She might need to enunciate some of the words more clearly, but that's something which can be worked on.  I like the tune and it's a good mix between a slow ballad and something a bit more up tempo.  Also, there's a nice small key change towards the end :).

8. The Blurry Lane - Exceptional

I initially thought this would be a jazz piece, but I'm pleased that it's not, as it sounds better going from slow verses to the energised chorus.  It's a bit different, and I quite like it, although I prefer the previous song.  I like the lyrics too.

9. Elephants From Neptune - Unriddle Me

Awful.  Sending them back to Neptune would be too unkind to Neptune  :laugh:!

10. Triin Niitoja & John4 - This Is Our Choice

The chorus isn't too bad, but neither of them is that good a singer, as is highlighted in the verses.  This a bit of country western mixed with soft rock/pop.  I don't think that the mixture works too well.  I quite like the chorus though.

Seven or eight would be my preference.  Let's see how they vote. 

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=2064.msg48215#msg48215
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline TrayBake

• Escvibes Team
    • Dyspraxic Chat
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 05:41:43 PM »
 Luisa Vark - Minu päike
I actually like the oooo-oo I think the singing is nice, its pleasant, for the little Estonian I know and can translate it seems a nice song.  I like the swing and camera angles for this video and hope it does well.

Maia Vahtramäe - Üle Vesihalli Taeva
the opening is misleading, she has a nice voice but not a fan of it.

Elina Born & Stig Rästa - Goodbye to Yesterday
I like this not as much as first one, lighting is a wee bit iffy.  She reminds me of Amy Lee.

Kali Briis Band - Idiot
Opening sounds like somneone is strangling a cat, the guy sounds like the singer from FUN. not a fan

Robin Juhkental & The Big Bangers - Troubles
I feel same as you Irisado.

Daniel Levi - Burning Lights
Too heavy for his style of singing, he is trying to be too much like Bon Jovi and failing miserably.  Stopping a minute it as it hurts to listen to it.

Elisa Kolk - Superlove
I like this, she has a nice voice she has talent but just needs to project herself more, drum works not to overpowering, id like to hear this as an accoustic song it would lend well to this style.

The Blurry Lane - Exceptional
I like the sax intro but not sure of this.  Her voice while powerful is not tuned well, blame nerves but not a fan.

Elephants From Neptune - Unriddle Me
Got a Foo Fighters vibe, Dave Grohl if he was dead would be turning in his grave, cocky as hell and I just want to punch them its that bad.

Triin Niitoja & John4 - This Is Our Choice
John4 is meh, Triin is good singer just needs to choose 1 style her mixing styles is where it breaks.  Its a nice we song.  Better than some others

I am still going for Luisa Vark - Minu päike, i prefer language songs to the countries.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=2064.msg48216#msg48216

Offline TrayBake

• Escvibes Team
    • Dyspraxic Chat
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 02:39:41 AM »
The winner is:

Elina Born & Stig Rästa - Goodbye to Yesterday

Estonia wont be getting my vote!

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=2064.msg48218#msg48218

Offline Irisado

• Rock'N'Roll Kid
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
Re: Estonia 2015 | Elina Born & Stig Rästa - Goodbye to Yesterday
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 12:04:44 PM »
I understand why that song won, but I am disappointed.  I really don't like that guy's singing or presentation.  I hope that gets changed before they perform in the semi-final.  I can see this qualifying pretty easily, but I don't view it as being a contest winner.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=2064.msg48220#msg48220
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline TrayBake

• Escvibes Team
    • Dyspraxic Chat
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 04:19:19 PM »
I cant see it doing well, my Estonian friends agree that its not the best song of the night.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=2064.msg48221#msg48221

Offline bURN

• Burned
  • Local Moderator
But one day the old lovers long for more
 Dreams and desires of another youth
And they leave their families, betray their friends
 They don't want advice about how to be happy

Offline Danijel

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 11:17:41 AM »
One of the better songs this year! the problem is it's too much copy of "Summer wine"  ::)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=2064.msg48293#msg48293

Offline LifeAfterLove

• De Troubadour
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 04:20:29 PM »
One of my favourites for this year.

I've not heard the other songs from their National Selection. It's handy that they're here in this thread, so I might revisit it sometime as I've liked one or two of their other songs in prevous yrs that didn't get the ticket to ESC.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=2064.msg48428#msg48428