Author Topic: Interview with Paula Seling (ESC NF Romania 2003, 2004, 2008, ESC 2010)  (Read 14137 times)

Offline Relyana

• Webmaster
  • Topic Author
    • Eurovision Forum | ESC Vibes

Talent, professionalism, sincerity, sensibility, courage, responsibility ... Paula Seling.
There are people that believe that, up above the world, there is a single Paradise for all of us.
... there are also people that play God, people that hit exactly in those who have the  courage to show us that we can reach new  horizons if we wish to. They don't see ...

Paula Seling was kind enough to answer to the questions of the Eurovision fans here on escvibes.com. We thank her for taking the time to do so and we would like to reasure her that the road she's walking on is not a closed one, that she is not alone and ... we care too.

What artists and musical styles marked your career over time ?

I believe that it is obvious that I was influenced by classical music which I've studied at Baia Mare.
When I started to study music at the Popular Art School from Baia Mare, I had times when I listened intensively to various artists such as Aretha Franklin, Diana Ross, Ella Fitzgerald,  Duke Ellington, Stevie Wonder  that opened my "appetite" for soul music and jazz. I had teachers that pointed me in that direction and to whom I owe my musical personality.

Later on I discovered the group Mezzoforte whose songs I used to sing at festivals for children and young people.

During the period in which I studied songs of the soloists Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, etc. I realized that pop-R'n'B is a music style that suits me and which I sing with pleasure.

I think that any music that you listen to complets your artistic personality. That's why the kind of music you listen to is very important. I warmly recommend Sting, Annie Lennox, George Michael, Seal, Alanis Morisette, Queen, U2.

What is the most pleasant memory of your career ?

There are lots of them and it's hard to rank them now. There would be ... winning of the Golden Stag Trophy, my duets with Albano, the appearance on the Discovery Channel, the Show from Kashmir Club - London, the appearance on Channel Five from London, my duet with Iris. They are all important moments in my career. For more details, visit www.paulaseling.com.

We know that you participated at the National Selection for the Eurovision Song Contest in 2003 with the song "Lets go!" (3rd place ), in 2004 with the song "Perfect" (6th place) and you returned to Selectia Nationala in 2008 with the song Seven Days, in duet with Provincialii (3rd place), after a considerable break.
Considering that Mihai Traistariu, Luminita Anghel and Nico achieved the qualification for Eurovision after 6 attempts, will you continue trying to get the qualification for the Eurovision Song Contest and if the answer is yes ... what motivates you to do so ?

I don't know. I can never make plans, usually the important things "pick" me. If I have the songs I think are appropriate for the contest I will probably submit them If not ... no.
Participation in this contest is a "science" - one has to seriously study the trends of the music submitted to Eurovision year after year. The Eurovision Song Contest is a somewhat different phenomenon that, most of the time, has nothing to do with the hits that are aired on radios on a daily basis. Winning the contest doesn't stand as a guarantee that the song will be broadcasted by radio stations and that it will turn into a hit.

Will you comeback in Selection (NF) next year ?

I don't know. It all depends of the songs I'll have in the meantime.

Unfortunately the National Selection scandals turned into something regular in Romania ... we were even wondering this year that it was all so quiet and peaceful and still the storm started soon after the National Final. What kind of impression did this year's National Selection and the events that followed leave you with?
Are the artists intimidated by this kind of atmosphere ?

I really enjoyed participating in Selectia Nationala this year because the sound was perfect. This is one of the most important aspects. You can't give the message of the song to the public with a bad sound and, from this point of view, everything was faultless.

Regarding Selectia Nationala there are problems with the "preselection" of the songs. I always maintained that the best method to select the songs that enter the semifinal would be the live contest, where every contestant can come to support his /her song, to present suggestions in what concerns the scenography etc.
It is already a proven fact that Romania does not send just any kind of voices to this contest and it is normal to be like this because a good voice that performs great live will always increase the value of a song.

I don't think that anyone was intimidated. Still ... it is sad that people, instead of supporting the Romanian representatives to this contest, start looking for disqualification reasons.
There are just a few of the contestants that understand that representing Romania with an inappropriate song is a dangerous thing to do for their careers.

Which one of the Romanian Eurovision songs from 1994 to 2008 is your favorite ?

I very much liked "Dincolo de nori".

What other Eurovision songs do you like ? What about esc artists ?

I like ABBA, I like Celine Dion.

Would you represent another country at Eurovision if you had the chance to ?

I don't know, it all depends of the song and the moment. But, if I do reach there, I would like to fight for my country.

Is the Eurovision Song Contest the only way to start a solid career outside Romania ?

It is a starting point. Like everything else ..is not a rule. It all depends of the song and the chances that you have. Depends of whether or not it is written in the stars for you.

No matter how much we would try to deny it we always fall victims to our own preconceptions or to the preconceptions of our fellows. We know that you recently took part at an event that marked an episode in the fight against race discrimination in Romania. What can you tell us about this subject ?

Yes, as I said on my site, in the editorials that I write recurrently Romania is still full of preconceptions. I faced these preconceptions before and after I sang in this show, and they came mostly from some people from media. For those who do not know what is this all about I was invited on 1st of May at Sala Palatului to sing some of my songs which I did.

There were 2 possibilities :

1. to refuse to take part in that event and then I would have done, personally, an act of discrimination. It would've been a pity to decide that THAT public does not deserve my music. From my point of view anyone that wants to listen or to sing my songs can do it. It is true that the public of that show was mostly manele listener but I was not there to support their music but to support my music. Judging from their reactions I believe that they liked what they listened to.
   2. to accept and to assume this fight. From my point of view I fought for my music in front of a public that, probably, wouldn't have how or would not want otherwise to listen to my music till now. I composed a song for this event, a song which Florin Salam wished to sing. There's no secret.

Honesty towards other people is very important to me .... and since I made no compromises, I sang nothing else but my music, I didn't promote violence, lies, the lack of education, I did nothing wrong.

What can you tell us about the projects you are involved in at the moment ?

I have finished a new album, I was about to release it and then an opportunity appeared and, if I want to take advantage of it, I have to record all the songs in English as well.
The album contains my songs completely, my words, my arrangements. I will tell you about this project at the right time.
I also have a collaboration with Gheorghe Zamfir, several shows and maybe, an album with the Maestro.

A message for the Eurovision fans ...

Have fun and maximum satisfaction !
Keep your fingers crossed ! I wish you health and plenty of joy !

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=766.msg18976#msg18976
Sometimes I'm good but when I'm bad I'm even better

Offline Relyana

• Webmaster
  • Topic Author
Re: Interview with Paula Seling (ESC NF Romania 2003, 2004, 2008, 2010)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 04:39:47 PM »
Nice to see Paula finally getting the chance to fight for her country. :)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=766.msg32183#msg32183

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
Re: Interview with Paula Seling (ESC NF Romania 2003, 2004, 2008)
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 06:06:52 PM »
Thanks for posting it, Relyana.  ;) Interesting to read this interview.  :)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=766.msg32671#msg32671
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
Psalm 23:4

Offline My Star

• Escvibes Friend
Re: Interview with Paula Seling (ESC NF Romania 2003, 2004, 2008, 2010)
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 12:04:49 AM »
Nice to see Paula finally getting the chance to fight for her country. :)
I remember reading this interview and talking with you about Paula. It is brilliant that someone with such a passion and love for the contest gets to go to ESC. I sincerely hope she does great.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=766.msg32725#msg32725

Offline Relyana

• Webmaster
  • Topic Author
I remember reading this interview and talking with you about Paula. It is brilliant that someone with such a passion and love for the contest gets to go to ESC. I sincerely hope she does great.

So she did ... ranking 3rd in this year's Eurovision edition!  :good:

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=766.msg34302#msg34302

Offline shonline

• Mysterious Newbie
I like Celine Dion.
Thanks for share.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=766.msg37587#msg37587

Offline Relyana

• Webmaster
  • Topic Author
I like Celine Dion.
Thanks for share.

The interviewed artist here is our lovely Paula Seling, not Celine Dion (we wish  :P).

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=766.msg37590#msg37590