Author Topic: Belgrade 2008 - THE FINAL  (Read 4333 times)

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
Belgrade 2008 - THE FINAL
« on: May 24, 2008, 12:08:17 AM »
Running order for the final

1. Romania
2. United Kingdom
3. Albania
4. Germany
5. Armenia
6. Bosnia & Herzegovina
7. Israel
8. Finland
9. Croatia
10. Poland
11. Iceland
12. Turkey
13. Portugal
14. Latvia
15. Sweden
16. Denmark
17. Georgia
18. Ukraine
19. France
20. Azerbaijan
21. Greece
22. Spain
23. Serbia
24. Russia
25. Norway

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=770.msg18988#msg18988
Blue, Blue, Blue, Johnny Blue
Welche Farbe hat die Sonne?

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
Re: Belgrade 2008 - THE FINAL
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 12:15:49 AM »
Overall impression of the draw.

Disappointing for Romania - but don't count them out by any means.  A strong start to the contest is quite often a good sign.

Albania will be quite pleased despite the early draw - being surrounded by 2 weaker songs.

Armenia won't be too happy to be followed by a great show in Bosnia & Herzegovina.

Israel being a ballad amongst the weird (Bosnia & Herzegovina) & the hard rock (Finland) may work to his advantage.

An OK draw for Portugal - a big ballad after some dance and rock (Iceland & Turkey) and being followed by the Latvian pirates.

Greece could have had a better draw - after the big show from Azerbaijan and before the Spanish joke.

Excellent draw for both Russia & Norway.

I still expect it to be between Russia (despite not liking this version of it), Armenia (despite not enough performance), Ukraine (despite the poor vocal) and Serbia (as yet unseen apart from rehearsals).  However I think that Romania, Portugal, Iceland and Greece all stand a good chance of finishing top 5.

At the other end - I really expect 3 of the big 4 to finish in the bottom 3 places - with Spain doing the best (despite me hating the song I can see why it will appeal to ESC voters) and they may even scrape into the top 10.

We will know tomorrow :)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=770.msg18989#msg18989

Offline My Star

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 12:49:15 PM »

Offline jumbo1974ro

• Mysterious Newbie
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 10:13:45 PM »
Hi all
I liked Romania's performance. Emotions took part in their evolution, but it was ok.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=770.msg18993#msg18993

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 11:01:17 AM »
Well now we know.

Full results

1. Russia - 272pts
2. Ukraine - 230pts
3. Greece - 218pts
4. Armenia - 199pts
5. Norway - 182pts
6. Serbia - 160pts
7. Turkey - 138pts
8. Azerbaijan - 132pts
9. Israel - 124pts
10. Bosnia & Herzegovina - 110pts
11. Georgia - 83pts
12. Latvia - 83pts
13. Portugal - 69pts
14. Iceland - 64pts
15. Denmark - 60pts
16. Spain - 55pts
17. Albania - 55pts
18. Sweden - 47pts
19. France - 47pts
20. Romania - 45pts
21. Croatia - 44pts
22. Finland - 35pts
23. Germany - 14pts
24. Poland - 14pts
25. United Kingdom - 14pts

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=770.msg18994#msg18994

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 11:05:16 AM »
A predictable winner - but Russia deserve it, even if Dima's performance didn't.

Portugal gave the best vocal performance of the night for me.  Iceland also gave a fantastic performance.  I thoroughly enjoyed the Bosnia & Herzegovina performance as well.  I'm still not quite sure how Croatia managed to qualify.  Very disappointing result for Romania.

An expected last place for the UK.  Full review coming up soon :)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=770.msg18995#msg18995

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 06:07:30 PM »
Here's the full review - in performance order.

1. Romania

Disappointing performance in the final.  In the semi the only criticism I had was that when Nico came in the backing singers were too loud.  This time they were fine but Nico wasn't.  Vlad was great but Nico didn't quite perform well enough.  Huge disappointment to me as I thought they stood a great chance after the semi-final performance

2. United Kingdom

Vocally he was spot on.  Problem is as I've said all along about Andy - he just doesn't have the stage presence to be remembered - and dances like an embarassing dad at a wedding. Still think last place was a bit harsh - but not entirely unexpected :(

3. Albania

She was nervy in the Semi but produced an excellent vocal performance in the final.  Possibly deserved to finish higher as the song was strong and she sung it beautifully.

4. Germany

A complete and utter mess from start to finish.  The harmonies were horrible, they looked horrible - based on performance alone this should have been last.  Saved from that by having a Bulgarian singing for them - thus guaranteeing votes from Bulgaria.

5. Armenia

Vocally she was acceptable - but not exceptional.  The performance was slightly lacking considering the type of song it is.  It is a good song - but I feel she could have performed it much better.

6.  Bosnia & Herzegovina

An excellent and incredibly entertaining performance for me.  I loved the woman (his sister I believe) in the strawberry skirt.  Vocally they were good and the performance was as weird as expected.  Deserved it's top 10 place.

7.  Israel

Vocally he was excellent - but there were times when I felt the backing singers drowned him out, especially in the semi, but overall he performed the song very well indeed....but it still does nothing for me as a song :shrug:

8.  Finland

A competent performance for the style of music.  It wasn't quite as spectacular as it could have been - but it was well performed nevertheless.  I was surprised that it qualified - but not surprised it flopped in the final against the more accessible rock song from Turkey.

9.  Croatia

I wrote a paragraph on each performance in the final - apart from this one which I just wrote 1 word for - CRAP!.  I hate everything about the song, the performance and the fact that it got 44 points from it's neighbours :irked:  - should never have qualified in the first place.

10.  Poland

Considering she was singing in English (and that English is her native tongue) she was incredibly difficult to understand.  The fake tan and ultra-white teeth were a bit off putting as well.  Still the voice was quite strong - but much better in the semi.

11.  Iceland

The best overall performance of the night for me.  Vocally both Fridrik & Regina were excellent.  They looked to be having great fun when performing which only served to make it even better.  Very underrated in the results.

12.  Turkey

Better performed in the final - but both performances were good.  Was always going to get the "rock" votes along with their usual diaspora votes.

13. Portugal

Vocally the best performance of the night without a doubt.  She really has an incredible voice.  Voted for it numerous times - but we still didn't give it any points in the final :(.  Deserved much more than 13th place IMO.

14.  Latvia

Vocally off key for a lot of the performance.  Visually they could have done so much more as well.  A disappointing performance all round...but I don't particularly like the song anyway :)

15.  Sweden

She was adequate - nothing else.  I was surprised to discover that this was the jury choice from semi 2 as I thought she'd done enough to qualify directly.  To be honest though I expected more from both her vocals and performance.

16.  Denmark

A real pleasant surprise for me.  He really did perform it well and he's such a little cutie.  Catchy chorus which sticks in the head would explain why it qualified and did OK at the final.

17.  Georgia

The costume change mid song was fabulously done - but other than that it didn't do enough.  In the semi the blond backing singer was literally screaming - but in the final she wasn't.  Diana wasn't as good vocally in the final as she was in the semi.

18.  Ukraine

Loved the beginning of this performance with the guys in the glass.  Vocally in the semi she wasn't quite there - but in the final she was much better.  All in all the performance in the final was actually pretty good.

19. France

What was with the beards? - an odd performance of an strange song.  He was vocally fine - but then it's not a challenging song vocally.  Not sure what the beachball was all about either.

20. Azerbaijan

A great show - and boy did he nail that intro.  It was well performed in both the semi and the final and although I'm not a fan of the song I wasn't too displeased that it did well.

21. Greece

Vocally she's quite weak, but made no errors vocally.  However what made it stand out was Kalomira herself.  She has such a wonderful stage presence that it's hard not to like her.  Great performer.

22.  Spain

Horrible from start to finish.  Everything about it is just complete rubbish IMO.

23. Serbia

You all know what I think of

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=770.msg18997#msg18997

Offline Relyana

• Webmaster
    • Eurovision Forum | ESC Vibes
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 08:44:01 PM »
1. Romania

Disappointing performance in the final.  In the semi the only criticism I had was that when Nico came in the backing singers were too loud.  This time they were fine but Nico wasn't.  Vlad was great but Nico didn't quite perform well enough.  Huge disappointment to me as I thought they stood a great chance after the semi-final performance

:eyepop: She was way better than she was in the semi-final ...they all deserved lot more  ... don't tell me that "Pe-o margine de lume" was worse than the Spanish entry or even worse than "Liubi, liubi I love you". So lets not blame it on the performance ... I honestly believe that the position they sang was to blame.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=770.msg18999#msg18999
Sometimes I'm good but when I'm bad I'm even better

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 09:04:48 PM »
:eyepop: She was way better than she was in the semi-final ...they all deserved lot more  ... don't tell me that "Pe-o margine de lume" was worse than the Spanish entry or even worse than "Liubi, liubi I love you". So lets not blame it on the performance ... I honestly believe that the position they sang was to blame.

The Spanish entry was the worst in the final...and Nico & Vlad were miles better than Todomondo.  I really expected Romania to finish top 10 - singing first or not.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=770.msg19000#msg19000

Offline My Star

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 06:58:07 PM »
Tellier was legendary with his helium

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=770.msg20562#msg20562

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 08:27:47 PM »
i wonder where you're from My Star, if as your nick name indicates you're from a baltic country, then it would explain it (after all only north and baltic europe liked France)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=770.msg20564#msg20564

Offline Relyana

• Webmaster
    • Eurovision Forum | ESC Vibes
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 08:30:56 PM »
i wonder where you're from My Star, if as your nick name indicates you're from a baltic country, then it would explain it (after all only north and baltic europe liked France)

He's Irish  :P

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=770.msg20566#msg20566
Sometimes I'm good but when I'm bad I'm even better

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 08:33:09 PM »
well i didn't expect France to do much better than bottom 5 (and actually it did) but I hoped that it would ok after all this type of music has fans all over europe even though it's not fans' type we never know (for instance Finland 2006).. and from western country most of all I expected countries like NL or Ireland to give us pts.. but only Uk did (and they gave 10 to Latvia so we know what THAT means :ohmy:)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=770.msg20568#msg20568