Author Topic: 2009: Reviews of the entries  (Read 50758 times)

Offline Dartacan

• De Troubadour
  • Topic Author
2009: Reviews of the entries
« on: April 11, 2009, 02:28:40 AM »
Here you can post the detailed reviews for the semifinals

SEMI-1

01.- MONTENEGRO

I found this song incredibly catchy. It might be just another one olf many, but it sticks easily to your mind. Montenegro first incursion in the final probably. 10/10

02.- CZECH REPUBLIC

The Czechs are trying everything to get a decent score, but this won't do most surely. A very strange mixture of genres and very weird presentation. 2/10

03.- BELGIUM

A nice try, but it lacks something. I prefer the verses to the chorus, which is quite weird and annoying. 5,5/10

04.- BELARUS

This is a nice rock song, which has it's strong moments, but fails in two things, one is to get total attention and the other one is the horrible hairdresser this guy has. 6,5/10

05.- SWEDEN

A very forgettable song, it's difficult to paste a good voice with a non existing musical background, there's no way to put this opera style in this kind of song. The result, a wannabe that lacks everything. 1/10

06.- ARMENIA

Again a song where the verses are better than the chorus, repetitive and somehow retarded. It destroys the song. 4/10

07.- ANDORRA

An ok cherry pop song, which is not bad, but nothing special. Considering the low level of this year, it can make the first final for andorra. 7/10

08.- SWITZERLAND

Ok song, a bit different from the esc standards, but it's difficult to remember, it isn't catchy enough. 5/10

09.- TURKEY

I just hate this kind of music, no music, no voice not anything at all. 0/10

10.- ISRAEL

2 wonderful singers, with at least a decent song, which is quite to say for this year. Probably in other case I would have given it a lower mark, but after many retarded entries this is like heaven. 9/10

11.- BULGARIA

Like Sweden, but a bit better. The last minute of the song coul've been cut. At least nice video. 3/10

12.- ICELAND

A nice, not top, but still nice, ballad. At least Iceland keeps sending quality songs with good singers. 8/10

13.- FYR MACEDONIA

A hearable, though noisy in some parts, rockish song. I've seen worse. 6/10

14.- ROMANIA

Again a chorus that destroys the nice verses. It's not too terrible, but too mainstream and overheard. 4/10

15.- FINLAND

Though not my style, they have a good live and it's a nice one to hear. 7/10

16.- PORTUGAL

At least Portugal doesn't dissapoint. A very nice song, but still lacks something to make it to the A grade, perhaps because I'vent found a perfect sound quality video. 8,5/10

17.- MALTA

Nice ballad, but out of the 3 Chiara's entries this might be the "Worst", as it's a bit plain. 7,5/10

18.- BOSNIA

Not as strong as usual balcan  ballads, but nice enough to pass to the final. 8/10

Final ranking of semi 1

1   Montenegro
2   Israel
3   Portugal
4   Bosnia
5   Iceland
6   Malta
7   Finland
8   Andorra
9   Belarus
10   FYR Macedonia
11   Belgium
12   Switzerland
13   Armenia
14   Romania
15   Bulgaria
16   Czech Republic
17   Sweden
18   Turkey

Sincerely, a boring semifinal with only 2 songs I really like, Montenegro and Israel, many ok/decent songs, but nothing really special. And 6 songs that are from bad to terrible.

Tomorrow I'll post my views on semi 2 and the finalists

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg25690#msg25690

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
Re: 2009: Reviews of the entries
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 07:37:16 PM »
Glad I'm not the only one that doesn't like the Swedish entry :cheer:

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg25752#msg25752
Blue, Blue, Blue, Johnny Blue
Welche Farbe hat die Sonne?

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 11:13:20 PM »
My own pre-contest reviews

SEMI-FINAL 1

1. Montenegro
Every year there's a guilty pleasure song...a song you know you shouldn't like but you can't help but like it.  This is mine this year.  It's cheap, lyrically inane and really annoying....but I still really do like it :-[.

2. Czech Republic
A complete mess of a song.  There appears to be no noticable structure to it and what little there is there just isn't very good.  I commend them for trying to be different - but this is just a little bit too unaccessable to the general listener.

3. Belgium
??? - not quite sure what to make of this one to be honest.  It's infuriatingly catchy at times but it's also incredibly annoying at the same time.  I really don't see this qualifying but again commend them for trying to be different.

4. Belarus
Oh dear.  The song is actually not that bad really....but not that good either.  The HUGE problem with this one is Petr himself....who appears to be stuck in a 70s timewarp.  A snowflake's chance in Hell of qualifying.

5. Sweden
Where do I start?  I'll try to keep it as brief as possible.  Malena is obviously a very talented opera singer.....but when it comes to pop she's awful.  For my ears Opera with a pop beat just doesn't work (Alenka Gotar was my dead last of 07 for example).  Unfortunately for this "song" it's even worse than that.  The verses sound like they're being sung by a very dodgy transvestite....then the chorus is screeched to the point that it took me about 4 listens to realise that the chorus was in French....then comes the part at about 2.14 when everything goes from Alenka-horrible to Alf Poier/Chiki Chiki horrible when she starts what can be best described as gargling (the whole "ha ha ha ha" up the scale part).  That's when my ears start to bleed and I turn it off.   For me it's the second worst song of this entire DECADE.  Simply hideous....and not exactly brief either :rofl:

6. Armenia
By the time this comes on I'm already going to be suicidal so this mess isn't going to improve my feelings any.  It's catchy in parts but vocally the girls aren't great...and the song is very very messy and lack cohesion in parts.  Still with their diaspora votes it's bound to qualify.

7. Andorra
Finally something I can listen to without wanting to scream or stick red hot pokers in my ears to make them go away.  Unfortunately though it's one of those little songs that is really quite pleasant when you listen to it....and then 2 seconds later you've completely forgotten it.

8. Switzerland
FINALLY something to keep my attention going.  A good modern song quite reminiscent of something U2 would do.  If the performance is upto scratch then it's good enough to get Switzerland back in the final.

9. Turkey
Recipe for success
1) Take a girl and dress her in very little indeed.  If she can shake her booty a bit then onto step 2
2) Write a cheap and nasty song with as much charm and niceness as a bowl of vomit
3) Put girl on stage to attempt to sing the nasty song and hey presto you've got a top 10 finish at ESC.
Horrible and completely without purpose.  Such a disappointment after last year's great Turkish entry.

10. Israel
Their voices work beautifully together, and it's lovely to hear some Arabic at ESC again.  Unfortunately the song just doesn't do justice to the quality of the 2 vocalists.  If it doesn't get through the televoting part I could see this being the jury pick

11. Bulgaria
This is "Popera" - but without the horrible conceited full of self-importance trying to be hipness of the Swedish entry.  His live at NF was AWFUL....but I really do like the song.

12. Iceland
This was love at first listen.  A gorgeous song sung by a gorgeous girl.  The NF version was nice but they've beefed it up slightly and if she can perform it well then as the first real ballad of the night it may well do well.  My #1 of the year.

13. Macedonia
I really quite like this one.  As far as rock goes it's much better than the Belarussian song for example.  A very decent effort.

14. Romania
I still find myself singing the chorus at strange and completely random times.  The weakness for me is her voice which doesn't seem to have a great deal of power in it...and following a rock song and being followed by a dance-ish song isn't going to help either.

15. Finland
A lot is going to depend on the stage show...because the song isn't going to stand out enough without a big show to go with it.  Get the show right and it's a 4th consecutive final for Finland - get it wrong and it won't get out of the semi.

16. Portugal
Absolutely adorable song.  Lovely catchy beat to it and the vocals are lovely too.  It has a nice Portuguese feel to it too.

17. Malta
I've said it before and I'll say it again - the weakest of her 3 entries.  It lacks the beauty of The One That I Love and lacks the power of Angel.  The one thing you can be 100% guaranteed about is that Chiara will perform this to perfection....and her stage presence alone should be enough for her to qualify.

18. Bosnia & Herzegovina
Class.  A wonderful Balkan ballad.  Regina are experienced performers so it should be another good performance.  The late draw won't do them any harm either.  I wouldn't be surprised if this actually won this Semi.

MY PREFERENCE

1. Iceland
2. Portugal
3. Bosnia & Herzegovina
4. Bulgaria
5. Montenegro
6. Switzerland
7. Macedonia
8. Malta
9. Finland
10. Romania
11. Andorra
12. Israel
13. Belgium
14. Turkey
15. Belarus
16. Armenia
17. Czech Republic
18. Sweden :ack:

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg26239#msg26239

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 06:27:13 PM »
well this is based on songs mostly and a bit of rehearsal but not yet the lives of course and it's therefore nothing definite.
01. Bosnia-Herzegovina
02. Switzerland
03. Portugal
04. Macedonia
05. Israel
06. Sweden
07. Finland
08. Iceland
09. Armenia
10. Belgium
11. Malta
12. Andorra
13. Montenegro
14. Belarus
15. Bulgaria
16. Turkey
17. Romania
18. Czech Republic

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg26247#msg26247

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 12:57:12 AM »
SEMI 2 REVIEW

1. Croatia
I still can't help but think this is trying to be a Joksimovic-style ballad - but without any of the quality (and I'm not the biggest Joksimovic fan anyway).  It's nice enough but to be honest it leaves me all a little bit cold.

2. Ireland
Still sounds like something Hannah Montana would sing....so it's very Disney-trying-to-be-rock.  It's not exactly bad....but it's not exactly good either.

3. Latvia
What an absolute mess.  There just doesn't seem to be any cohesion at all to the song.  I'm not even sure what it's trying to be.  Just seriously not my cup of tea

4. Serbia
Good grief.  Is it a joke entry? Whatever it is supposed to be it ends up being an annoying tune with bad vocals....and they're not even good to look at

5. Poland
Yes is schmaltzy, yes it's Americanised....but I still like it :-[.  She has a decent voice and the song is quite pleasant to listen to....and she's easier to understand than Isis was for Poland last year (which considering Isis is American is quite surprising).

6. Norway
Well it's all about who's going to come second if you believe the bookmakers and fans...because Rybak has it in the bag....and I still cannot understand why.  The instrumental parts of the song are fantastic....the lyrics are cheesy and the vocals aren't spectacular.  So to me it's not a winner but considering I've only agreed with 2 winners in 30 years what do I know :D

7. Cyprus
This is the most frustrating entry of the year.  It had the potential to be a lovely song....but it just doesn't fulfil that potential and ends up being rather insipid and forgettable.  She was horrific live in the NF so unless she improves nobody but Greece will be giving this anything.

8. Slovakia
Nice to have them back.   Something doesn't quite work with the song though.  It tries very hard to be a dramatic duet but there are times when the vocals just end up being rather strained verging on screechy (especially her).  Don't see it qualifying...or Slovakia being in Oslo 2010

9. Denmark
First time I heard it I thought it was Ronan Keating....and at the time I didn't know he had co-wrote it.  It's one of those songs that's going to be remembered as it has a good hook to it.  If he performs well then a great placing is not too hard to imagine.

10. Slovenia
:yawn: Everytime I think she's going to start singing the same piece of music starts again.  It's repetetive to the extreme musically and the lyrics, such as they are, are rubbish.  Vocally she's quite good though.

11. Hungary
After the farcical withdrawal of 2 entries (one of which would've been my #1 of the year) we end up with this forgettable tune.  I think if this had been in Semi 1 it would've qualified but with Sakis in the same Semi I don't think his chances are good - despite being a million times hotter than Sakis

12. Azerbaijan
Best of the ESC-Song-by-Number tunes (see Turkey, Spain, Greece).  I hope he's good live because he appears to be much weaker on the studio version.

13. Greece
Quote from: Turkey
Recipe for success
1) Take a girl and dress her in very little indeed.  If she can shake her booty a bit then onto step 2
2) Write a cheap and nasty song with as much charm and niceness as a bowl of vomit
3) Put girl on stage to attempt to sing the nasty song and hey presto you've got a top 10 finish at ESC.
Horrible and completely without purpose.  Such a disappointment after last year's great Turkish entry.
Change Girl for Boy, her for him, she for he, and hey presto we have another purposeless entry with a 99% chance of finishing top 10 :doh:

14. Lithuania
When this was chosen I didn't like it much but as time has gone on I've really grown to love it.  He's cute as a button too which helps but the song itself is so unlike anything else in the contest that it may spring a surprise....unfortunately following Sakis on stage isn't such good news for Sasha

15. Moldova
Absolutely BEGS for a big performance.  Get the performance right and this will do very well....get it wrong and it will be a complete disaster.  There HAS to be loads of dancing on stage and Nelly's vocals will become secondary.  Seriously grown to love this song

16. Albania
The Albanian version was OK...but it just doesn't work in English AT ALL.  Such accented English is going to be remembered and dismissed as not worth voting for. 

17. Ukraine
:doh: - nothing else to say other than - what language is she singing in?  Horrific

18. Estonia
From the horrific Leto svet to this....wow Estonia certainly cover the full range of songs.  This is wonderful.  Love the music, love the vocals, love the language, love everything about it.  I would be amazed if this isn't the first Estonian song to qualify from the semis....it may even challenge for the victory.

19. Netherlands
Cheesier than a bucket-load of gorgonzola.  Lyrically hilarious (Love can make you glow in the dark :rofl: ), vocally inept.  Even singing last isn't going to help this drivel.

My preference

1. Estonia
2. Moldova
3. Lithuania
4. Poland
5. Norway
6. Slovakia
7. Denmark
8. Ireland
9. Azerbaijan
10. Croatia
11. Slovenia
12. Hungary
13. Greece
14. Cyprus
15. Albania
16. Latvia
17. Netherlands
18. Ukraine
19. Serbia

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg26326#msg26326

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 01:09:26 AM »
we barely agree in old esc
but when it comes to modern esc
we end up all agreeing
there's good songs (5 or 6) and the rest is all crap..
*sigh*
that's killing all the fun too

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg26329#msg26329

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 09:29:29 PM »
For me there is 5 fantastic songs this year (Iceland, Portugal, Estonia, France & Bosnia) the others range from good to decent to ok to poor to bad to awful to hideous to the downright horrendous (Sweden).

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg26364#msg26364

Offline Centrix

• Escvibes Team
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 09:34:06 PM »
My pre-contest reviews

SEMI-FINAL 1

1. Montenegro
Not many will remember it til the vote will start. With a better draw and a more complet show it could have more chances. 5/10

2. Czech Republic
I think that even the Gypsies will not vote for this song and that will found it offensive for their culture. They have great music, not comedies like this. 1/10

3. Belgium
I liked the idea in the begining. And even if the background in catalyst is great he make all to appear too much amatorish. 4/10

4. Belarus
The song appear in the best way it could appear. Still is a bad song, but maybe the public suport will influence the televoting. 5/10

5. Sweden
That should be a mediocre song, but if it comes from Sweden I can say that is a disaster. Everything is bad, but that dress destroy any chance. Alenka Gotar not only that was first, but was 100 times better. 3/10

6. Armenia
I didn't like this song til I saw the videoclip. Then I found it more Indian than Armenian. After the rehearsals I just say WOW. 9/10

7. Andorra
Is bad, but I apreciate the effort of Andorran delegation. And is not so bad like Sweden for example. 5/10

8. Switzerland
I don't like this music and definetlly not at Eurovision. 2/10

9. Turkey
Yesyerday I saw a rehersal of Turkey which sounds like a karaoke. I found this song too much overrated. I only like the fireworks. The song is also catchy enough. 4/10

10. Israel
Very good voices. I can not be very objective at this one. Israel has a special place on my heart so without objectivism I will say 7/10

11. Bulgaria
Oh God! I prefer Czech Republic. 1/10

12. Iceland
Wonderful! It reminds me a little Shiri. I only don't like the dress even if the colour is great. 10/10

13. Macedonia
The vocals are good. But that all about this song in our century. Maybe in the years 90 could have been very good. 6/10

14. Romania
I will not say nothing here because no one will believe that I am sincere.  :innocent:

15. Finland
If DJ Bobo doesn't work then this has all the chances to fail. But they have a good draw, so all depends by them. 5/10

16. Portugal
I started to accept and even like a little the song. The stage is awful. 6/10

17. Malta
It can win everything. The song is not good, but Chiara is singing!!! 7/10

18. Bosnia & Herzegovina
This song is good, but it is too much fuss around it. I think that even the good draw will not make this winner of semifinal, but a top 3 can take. 8/10

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg26384#msg26384

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 09:58:19 PM »
The Automatic Finalists

3. France
Everything about it is classy.  Patricia, the music, the lyrics, the vocals - everything.  I would be most surprised if this doesn't finish top 10.  Truly wonderful

10. Russia
An odd song.  It has a really catchy chorus but the verses aren't up to much.  She's also rather scary.  It will be interesting to see how this one does.

17. Germany
I love it.   The lyrics are just hilarously bad....but the music is really catchy and from what I hear the show is going to be quite something. 

23. United Kingdom
Jade is adorable - but the problem is the song.  Considering the quality and history of the 2 songwriters it is still a huge disappointment.  The late draw (and now we know it's surrounded by up-tempo songs) could be an advantage....but the song just isn't quite good enough.

25. Spain
See my reviews for Turkey & Greece - although I have a feeling she will perform better than Turkey did in the semi.  Singing last is certainly going to help her....but will it be enough to get a great result - that remains to be seen.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg26477#msg26477

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 09:03:37 PM »
I will do an entire esc review in my personal ranking order finalized as I did last year.. I'll start later on tonight, after I've changed in ALL my esc files my winners of esc 00 and 05 8)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg27428#msg27428

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 11:04:44 PM »
FIRST OF ALL, remember, these are very PERSONAL rankings, PERSONAL opinions. I do not mean to harm any persons nor countries, but I do attack SONGS that entered my beloved contest and therefore i have all freedom to express that in a very personal way. At last, remember, these are rankings for NOW, hot right after the contest, maybe a bit cooled down and after 2nd or 3rd watch of their performances in both final and semi, but still, my rankings change a lot i just recently changed my 2000 and 2005 esc winners!

Finally, here is how i've always ranked the "entries". I rank them as a package, but stressing out what I consider the most important. As "songs", three main points are valued, 30pts for the melody, in both technical but also very personal way, 30pts for the lyrics, with extra points for national lyrics, 20pts for the vocal qualities.. then there are two elements to complete the entries, 10pts for the look and 10pts for the live performance.. a total of 100pts.. But many times you'll see i have songs with same number of points, then I go for a very subjective manner to rank.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg27473#msg27473

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 11:17:20 PM »
As with last year I'll do my full and frank ranking after Martial has completed his :)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg27474#msg27474

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 11:27:35 PM »

42nd, 2pts
Bulgaria, "Illusion" - Krassimir Avramov
The Bulgarian NF was actually one of the longest but also one of the worst, with the best being almost delayed all the way to the end of the final, with the one exception of Iskra & Misha Iliev.. Without a surprise, the big pop star there won with a terrible entry. So after a bad NF we had a very bad song : made sense. He really can't sing and can't perform or act. I really hate it when an entry makes me ashame to watch esc thinking "this is an amateur pop crappy show for teenagers". The live as we know was terrible and the looks awful. Yet I feel a lot of sympathy for it because they did put in a lot of hard work there, just that it turned out absolutely terrible. So for the first time in a long long time, my last actually does not get a big fat 0pt!

41st, 8pts
Czech Republic, "Aven romale" - Gipsy.cz
After two surprisingly strong NF, Czech Republic decided to give it up after two terrible results and tried a more internal selection. Choosing Gispy.cz was an interesting choice : the group had given nice entries in the previous Czech NF and definitely would give a different sound to the Czech entries. After being my dead last in 2008 with 0pt I did not see Czech Republic doing it again but they almost did. The song was way too much of a mess to actually have a melody and the lyrics were too cheesy. But what really killed the song was the entire main idea of Supergipsy : ridiculous, outdated, old-fashioned and not funny. It's time big time for Czech Republic to consider esc in a new whole way though their 2007 entry was really nice but poorly performed and following Lordi.

40th, 9pts
Poland, "I don't wanna leave" - Lidia Kopania
Another country that was extremely low in my list in 2008 but also in my NF rankings.. Sure a few entries in their 2009 NF were interesting, in French or rock entries, even the very swedish pop entries, but they ended up going for what got them their first esc final ever last year : the very americanized ballad. I hate them with a passion. If you don't work at least a little bit to create something interesting or at least a bit new with the old typical sounds, then you don't actually HAVE a melody. With that being said, and without good lyrics to support it, it was down to Lidia to give us something. But what did we get? A very bad vocal performance, a dull dress and boring ballerine dancers we've seen million times with the white and red colors of the flag.. Definitely should go with something else next year..

39th, 10pts
Greece, "This is our night" - Sakis Rouvas
I will not be nice just because this is the country that has the most people in all forums just screaming at you for not loving their songs and singers.. Greece was a great entry in all its esc life until they discovered that winning was mostly about being hypocrit. After two years off, they came back in 2001 to almost never come back in my esteem with the one exception of Anna in 2006 who had a cheesy song but made a great performance that lifted the year's level a huge inch higher. All the entries are typical, cheesy, pop shaky irrelevant musically and lyrics that try to be sexual in a not provocative way (far from the Russian attempts like in 2007).. Sakis as we all did not even sing out there. Playback is forbidden in esc and this method is so dumb it makes me even madder at the greek team to think they can get away with it. Worse of all : they can as televote still went for it! Well, I won't.

38th, 12pts
Ukraine, "Be my valentine" - Svetlana Loboda
Ukraine as we all know has been doing very good in Eurovision recently, including a victory and twice in a row runner up. Even though I sometimes agree and sometimes disagree with their final results, I can admit they have almost always been very professional in their final shows. Once again, the worst song musically of the year was given a big package to succeed : the big iron wheels looked very good, and it's sad Svetlana is incapable of singing a single note right because with a singer of the calibre of Nanne Gronvall just to name one it would have been huge. But they did go over the top this one time with the drumming part : another playback moment in esc 2009 and a totally irrelevant crazy move from Svetlana.. The final ranking is still unbelievable, especially when one notices that some juries did vote for it in numbers in some part of Europe..

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg27477#msg27477

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 11:52:19 PM »
37th, 12pts
Cyprus, "Firefly" - Christina Metaxa
The country has never been a great esc country and it only got in my personal top 10 three times in its esc history. It sure was not going to be in for the 4th time this year when they chose the second weakest entry in their NF! Not that the song is lame. In a year of ballads, it surely was one of the slowest ones but the lyrics are also one of the dullest and more importantly, the most important thing, she can not get a single note out. We knew it as soon as we heard her in the final and hoped she'd work on it. Apparently no one cared to ever tell her what we thought for it sure was not improved on the big night. The staging was as good as it could have been, just the song was very very weak.

36th, 16pts
Romania, "The Balkan girls" - Elena Gheorghe
The country had a very average NF which I cared for more than I should have. I don't think any songs of their NF this year would have made it higher than this, so they did make the best tactical choice, but the juries were wrong to prefer Elena who can not sing to the public's clear favorite, the Blaxy Girls. Still actually surprised it got in the final with a very typical and irrelevant performance : I mostly hate the part the girls dance in circler around Elena. How old are they? 12? This is not a circus, but with that big stupid wood chair it sure did look like this team did not quite understand that. In modern esc years, shaky pop songs do better than they should, but with a very weak vocal performance and live show, songs like "balkan girls" can not hope to do better than qualifying in the final but that's it.

35th, 18pts
Andorra, "La teva decisió" - Susanne Georgi
Andorra is a country we all entirely agree to like because it's a small new comer that keeps failing every year. Truly, they were amazingly fresh in 2007 their best very best entry so far.. But they went back to shaky pop entries like the one they had last year. Even though they played strongly on the "pop" aspect instead of the "shaky" using the guitars motif that got them their 12th in SF and best place so far at esc. Yet the lame costumes, the boring live, it did not help to bring any sparks in a very forgettable entry. Too bad, each year they come up with something we truly hope for, and keep being disappointed.

34th, 18pts
Hungary, "Dance with me" - Zoli Ádok
After a very unfair last place in last year's contest (even though the entry was quite lame), Hungary tried to find something good. But after being turned down by two good entries and singers, it was all the way down to Zoli to try to bring any sparks into the Hungarian esc history. The preview video was rather interesting. The 70s vibes were mixed to a very dramatic scenery, with "5th elements" style and costume, just out of the future. We all hoped that Zoli would pull on that cord on the big night but then his live and look got him as we know the BD award. Going totally blend on the esc stage, with cubes in the background for no reasons, the flashy colors, it did not work a single second, very surprisingly after all they did in their live where they did some pretty hard stuff. Too bad. Next time let's hope the songs they do choose will go to esc.

33rd, 22pts
Montenegro, "Just get out of my life" - Andrea Demirović
The country had an amazing debut in 2005 with one of the strongest entries of that year.. But as soon as No Name got shut down in 2006 even though they had the best entry (but yes the voting was unfair), it was all the way down the lane for Montenegro. Their 2007 effort was truly not memorable but had something touching in its innocence, the 2008 entry was rather strong as far as live goes but the song still lacked something. So Montenegro did not follow the Bosnian or Croatian examples but decided to go in English this time. A very dumb mistake, now it's obvious to everyone the lyrics are meaningless. Andrea was very courageous to go almost all by herself in the big big beautiful Russian stage, and going once again as 1st.. It almost worked for Montenegro, their closest ever to getting in the final. It makes sense, Andrea made her best live ever judged on all her appearances in many different NF through the esc season which all were rather tasteless, and Andrea did give us all a great butt to remember.. But that's about it, next time, bring a big song and we'll talk about it.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg27482#msg27482

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 11:52:56 PM »
so that's my bottom 10, that's it for tonight!

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg27484#msg27484

Offline ijm123

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 11:59:18 PM »
Interesting so far - surprised to see that Turkey isn't in your bottom 10...especially considering her inept performance.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg27486#msg27486

Offline Lonter

• In The Disco
  • No rhyme that rhymes with living...
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 02:05:26 AM »
Oh, surprised at the lack of Soraya, Hadise and the azeri duo, dunno if positively or negatively though xD

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg27490#msg27490
Don't stop yourself, don't kill yourself
It's only a way of delaying ourselves...

Offline Lonter

• In The Disco
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 02:44:14 AM »

Denmark
Niels Brinck
Believe Again
(42th)

And I... I wanna believe in love
I wanna believe in something bigger
Than the two of us, yeah...
I... I wanna breathe again
I wanna go back to the days
The days I had my innocence
I wanna believe again

- ''But, but, it's composed by Ronan Keating!''

And since freaking when was that a good thing?
Denmark presented us by an absolutely unbearable song that makes you want to kill people whenever he goes into that stupid chorus...
You know the part with the

:sing: ''AAAAAAAIIIIII, I WANT TO BELIEVE IN LOOOOOOVE''  :sing:

Just shoot him, absolutely unbearable. The only minor plus to this performance is that he can sing, sure, with that atrocious voice that he has, but he can use it. He still has the most unbearable of all 42 songs, and deserves my last place by far.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg27491#msg27491

Offline Lonter

• In The Disco
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2009, 02:52:13 AM »

Greece
Sakis Rouvas
This is our night
(41th)

This is our night, fly to the top, baby
Yes, we can do it, just wait and see
This is our night, time for a change, baby
Get rid of the old, take a hold and be free

- ''Oh, is that the greek Ricky Martin again? Let's see his new song
He's is kinda older than what I remembered

* 30 seconds later*

Man, that sucks''

That was more or less the reaction of my family when watching the second semi, and I'd imagine that it was the reaction that many other households had.

I mean, let's look at this, we've got greek star Sakis mimicking singing while his FEMALE backing vocal sings for him as he does rather weird (scratch that, ridicolous) looking kung-fu moves. Then, he remembers he can't let the whole song be performed by his FEMALE backing singer, and decides to sing some few notes (all of them off-key) just to make the audience happy.

That would have been fine if it were the only thing wrong with the song, I mean, crappy performances are in other pieces in the contest (namely Turkey) and so do crappy choreographies (namely Spain), but even then he also HAS a rather terrible swedish sounding old schlager. It sounds like something Fabrizio Faniello would try to represent Malta with, not something in the vein of Shake it (which was still crap, but which scored better for Greece).

7th (?) was an absolutely overration, but we all know he wasn't voted for his song, nor his performance, nor his choreography   

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg27492#msg27492

Offline Lonter

• In The Disco
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2009, 02:57:50 AM »

Macedonia
Next time
Nesto sto ke ostane
(40th)

I give you love to get something
Something that will remain, yeah...

- ''Oh, rock, good!

*30 seconds later*

And here comes the good part, right?

*1 minute later*

Good part, are you there?

*1st semi is over*

Still waiting for the Macedonian song to get good''

This was bad on so many levels. For beginners, it was 30 years too late for ESC (about 60 years too late for the rest of the world), it was absolutely boring, the song goes nowhere, the song doesn't entice you in anyway, entertains you in anyway, nor is productive in any way.

There's isn't much to rant about, this is just boring and to be blunt, useless.   

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg27493#msg27493

Offline Lonter

• In The Disco
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2009, 03:03:28 AM »

Croatia
Igor Cukrov feat. Andrea
Lijepa Tena
(39th)

Hey beauty, hey holy
You're turning water into wine
You're praying for all of us, for all of us

Admitelly, there isn't anything inherently bad about the Croatian entry and musically it's a meritory ok-ish balkan ballad, but once the performance came it just turned into a rather annoying scream fest that made this entry just plummet in my rankings. I mean, stop with the screaming people. 

This is where the juries absolutely failed, the way they presented this song deserved to make the song stay in the semifinal. But no, juries had to be silly and take out the actually quite fun Serbian song instead and put this through. I mean, there were various better non-qualifiers in that semi, why the heck did they have to choose this balkan ballad so lamely performed?

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg27494#msg27494

Offline Lonter

• In The Disco
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2009, 03:10:08 AM »

Azerbaijan
Aysel feat. Arash
Always
(38th)

You are always on my mind, always in my heart
And I can hear you call my name on a mountain high
Always on my mind, always in my dreams
I wanna hold you close to me, always, all the time

Thank you Arash for being such a bad performer, seriously, thank you.
I mean, this could have ended even more overrated if it weren't for him failing so much at hitting the correct note.   

The song has absolutely no musical merit and pretty much sounds like your standard summer hit... of the mid 90's. It just sounds so fabricated and so cheap that I'm honestly surprised about this ending up so high in a year where juries had influence.

Quite an unnecessary entry, shame about it being selected for ESC.

On the positive side, it seems Aysel can sing, which nowadays in ESC and outside it it's almost a merit.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg27495#msg27495

Offline Lonter

• In The Disco
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2009, 03:16:07 AM »

Andorra
Susanne Georgi
La teva decisió (Get a life)
(37th)

Ah ah ah I...
Ah ah ah I, I know that I'm right
Ah ah ah I, I'm getting a life

As we get out of the bottom 5 we head towards less hateable entries, admitelly while still retaining an absolute lack of musical merit. The andorran entry is... cute, it's a nice little song admitelly and it's somewhat nice in some parts.

Then again, it's also freaking annoying with the whole AH AH AH I parts being repeated once and once again every 5 seconds. It's also one of the less competitive entries ever (I mean, best case scenario people would enjoy the song, but would never pick the phone up to vote for it).

It's still cute though. Still one of the worst attemps by Andorra though (still better than their debut admitelly).

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg27496#msg27496

Offline Lonter

• In The Disco
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2009, 03:20:09 AM »

Montenegro
Andrea Demirovic
Just get out of my life
(36th)

Just get out of my, out of my, out of my head
Just get out of my, out of my, out of my bed
It's beyond belief, but true
I became a slave to you

Check the andorran review, change the word ''cute'' with ''catchy'', the words ''ah ah ah I'' with ''get out of my, get out of my, out of my'' and ''annoying'' with ''annoying''. This one has less musical merit probably than the andorran entry, but meh, slightly more catchy.

Still bad.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg27497#msg27497

Offline Lonter

• In The Disco
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2009, 03:23:47 AM »

Belgium
Copycat
Copycat
(35th)

He's a copycat, trying to steal my soul
But he's too fat to rock 'n' roll
He's a copycat, trying to steal my soul
But he's too fat to rock 'n' roll

Now what went wrong with this one. I'll admit performances change my perception of some songs (as seeing the song in the way the artist wants us to perceive it may hinder or better my view of the song as a whole) and this one got seriously affected by that. Just about everything went wrong with the performance, his vocal performance sucked, everything else was distracting, the song surprisingly came up as annoying...

This one went just surprisingly wrong parting from a rather nice base, wonder what happened with it.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg27498#msg27498