Author Topic: 2009: Reviews of the entries  (Read 50759 times)

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
Re: 2009: Reviews of the entries
« Reply #225 on: July 31, 2009, 12:19:21 PM »
I will continue with my reviews right now.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg28236#msg28236
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
Psalm 23:4

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #226 on: July 31, 2009, 12:31:09 PM »
20. België / Belgium

A country with many interesting entries since the first participation in 1956.
J'aime la vie is even my all time favorite ESC-song, but there are also several memorable Dutch entries.
The entry from Patrick Ouchène was clearly meant as a joke entry, just like last years "O Julissi". The only difference is that the song from this year was enjoyable and I was hoping for Belgium to reach the final.
That the country ended up with only one point is a little bit disappointing, but also logical. Belgium has to be more serious in the contest and then the good results will come back.

19. Duitsland / Germany

Germany, the country that missed only one edition since 1956 and brought us very good entries in the past.
"Miss Kiss Kiss Bang" is a swinging song with a good stage performance, but it was very over the top.
Oscar Loya gave a good performance, but it was too much with those silver pants and Dita von Teese. Again a good song, but I understand why the juries and televotes didn't fell for it.

18. Bosnië en Herzegovina / Bosnia and Herzegovina

Bosnia & Herzegovina had a very bad entry last year. It's good to see that this country was more serious this year: a good song in the Bosnian language, performed by the rock band Regina.
I'm a little bit surprised by the popularity of this entry by some people on the Eurovision-forums. The song definitely has a powerful chorus, but to me it was not that special.

17. Zwitserland / Switzerland

The first host and winner of the contest: Switzerland! And we recently seem to agree on this forum that Switzerland also has the best 0-pointer: Gunvor - Lass' ihn ;)

Their entry this year was one to remember. The Highest Heights was one of the better songs in the first semi-final and I was surprised that it didn't reach the final. I think that the performance was too average to get the attention of the televotes.

16. Spanje / Spain

I had great expectations when I heard that Soraya would represent Spain this year.
I know some songs from this woman ("Mi Mundo Sin Ti" for example) that I like.
"La Noche Es Para Mí" is not as good as "Mi Mundo Sin Ti", but still a very decent song. I was surprised by the low ranking in the final (23rd with 23 points).
Maybe the performance was not special enough?

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg28237#msg28237
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #227 on: July 31, 2009, 01:52:45 PM »
15. Andorra / Andorra

I hoped that Andorra would finally get into the final this year, after failing five times in a row. But their entry this year was very forgettable.
Personally I liked the song, but it was too average to get into the final.

14. Polen / Poland

The country in my list is Poland! Poland had a great debute in 1994 with a 2nd place, it was immediately their best result so far.
This year Poland came with one of the americanized ballads.
The dress was not very special, but I like the song. I don't agree with the low ranking in the contest. It deserved a little bit more in my opinion.

13. Finland / Finland

Finlands entry this year was cool. Waldo´s People was fun and I totally understand why the juries have chosen this song in the first semi-final.
Top 10 would have been to high for this song, but the last place is not fair.
The song and performance were enjoyable, it´s dissapointing that it gave Finland their 9th last place in the history of Eurovision.
I know that the results in the past where not always good, but it would be nice if Finland choose a Finnish song next year.

12. Israël / Israel

Again a country with many good entries in the past. Ze Rak Sport is even one my favorite entries of all time!
Their entry this year was just great: it was in the English, Hebrew and Arabic language. The song was a simple call to respect the humanity of others.
In a year of ballads this was not the best ballad, but definitely a beautiful entry!

11. Slowakije / Slovakia

Slovakia is a country is has been unsuccessful in the contest. It was only their 4th participation this year (after 11 years), but again they didn't receive many points (only 8 points and 2nd last in the second semi-final).
The ranking of Slovakia was disappointing because the country has two good singers and beautiful song in the Slovak language. The voice of Nela Pocisková was amazing!
Too bad that the televoters didn't vote for this kind of songs.
I hope you will have more luck next time, Slovakia!

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg28240#msg28240

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #228 on: July 31, 2009, 01:59:10 PM »
That was it for today! I will continue with my top 10 soon.  :)

My ranking so far:

42. Czech Republic
41. Latvia
40. Belarus
39. Russia
38. Hungary
37. Serbia
36. Greece
35. Sweden
34. Croatia
33. Bulgaria
32. Slovenia
31. Denmark
30. Montenegro
29. Malta
28. Netherlands
27. Lithuania
26. Macedonia
25. Turkey
24. Armenia
23. Ukraine
22. Cyprus
21. Ireland
20. Belgium
19. Germany
18. Bosnia & Herzegovina
17. Switzerland
16. Spain
15. Andorra
14. Poland
13. Finland
12. Israel
11. Slovakia

Still left:

Albania, Azerbaijan, Estonia, France, Iceland, Moldova, Norway, Portugal, Romania, United Kingdom.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg28241#msg28241

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #229 on: August 01, 2009, 03:21:32 AM »
well apart from our usual faves (portugal -which is now really getting on my nerves lol-, Moldova, Iceland, Estonia or France) there are some "surprises". Not that they surprise us : you always defended Romania (GASP ARGH *dead*) and Azerbaijan (more acceptable, *sorry Lonter*)

the only main surprise here is Albania. That one can like shaky dance routines and poor voices for the sake of a live i can accept that.. but Albania in a top 10? I don't get it at ALL.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg28245#msg28245

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #230 on: August 07, 2009, 12:14:15 PM »
Albania is pretty high in my top 10 to be honest  :-[

Tomorrow I will go on a vacation to Sicily, but first I want to finish my reviews!  ;)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg28265#msg28265

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #231 on: August 07, 2009, 12:21:14 PM »
10. Verenigd Koninkrijk / United Kingdom

This was a very poor decade for the UK. Last places in 2003 (the first time that the UK ended with 0 points) and 2008 and not in the top 15 for 6 years (2003 - 2008).
I'm happy that after all those years the United Kingdom finally ended up in the top 10 with this beautiful ballad from Jade Ewen.
With the return of the juries, the United Kingdom returned in the top 10. It's obvious that the juries are more positive about the entries from the UK and about ballads than the televoters. A very deserved 5th place in my opinion!

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg28266#msg28266

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #232 on: August 07, 2009, 12:37:52 PM »
9. IJsland / Iceland

Iceland, participating since 1986 and almost winner in 1999. The beautiful Yohanna from Denmark represented this island with the song "Is It True?", the big winner of the first semi-final. The ballad seems very simple, but it's one of those songs that don't need a very special performance to make it conspicuous. It's good that Iceland finished second in the final, because it's the question if Iceland is able to host a song contest these days.
After all it was a good song and a good performance, the 18 year old Yohanna can be proud of herself.
I hope that we will get more of these kind of entries from Iceland in the following years!

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg28267#msg28267

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #233 on: August 07, 2009, 12:46:06 PM »
8. Roemenië / Romania

Romania, the country that joined the Eurovision family in 1994! Last in the pre-qualifying rounds in 1993 and 1996 :( but the country brought us also very good entries, like my big favorite in 2005: Let Me Try!
The Blaxy Girls from the national final where my favorite, but Elena isn't a bad choice.
Elena was singing pretty good in my opinion. And I like the performance.
It was no surprise for me that this reached the final (actually I was hoping that this would get in the final during the show).
For me this was one of the better performances in the first semi-final.

I'm not a big fan of the so-called shaky pop songs, but this one was cute. :heart:

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg28268#msg28268

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #234 on: August 07, 2009, 01:17:21 PM »
7. Estland / Estonia

Estonia, a country with a beautiful language. The country already won the contest in 2001, but my favorite Estonian entry is Keelatud maa from Maarja-Liis Ilus (1997).
After the joke entry in 2008, Estonia finally chose a good entry this year.
What I like about Urban Symphony with Rändajad is that it's 100% about the song. No crazy performance, no wrong costumes, no stage with weird colours, no screaming. Just a beautiful, Estonian song, sung by very lovely performers.
Lovely vocals and lyrics. Definitely one of the better songs in the contest!

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg28269#msg28269

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #235 on: August 07, 2009, 01:49:49 PM »
6. Moldavië / Moldova

Then we have Moldova with a very lovely performance: Nelly Ciobanu with "Hora din Moldova" (Dance From Moldova). I was immediately in love with the ethnic performance.
I said that it was all about the song by Estonia, but that doesn't mean that you can't have a great performance. Moldova shows us what a good song and performance can do. The 14th place in the final was a little bit disappointing for me (I expected that this entry would end in the top 10), but I'm happy that Portugal and Romania gave their 12 points to Moldova!

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg28270#msg28270

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #236 on: August 07, 2009, 05:03:51 PM »
5. Frankrijk / France

France is participating since 1956 and they brought us wonderful entries in the past 54 years, always in the beautiful French language. Just like the Netherlands France received their last victory in the 70's.
There was hope this year when it became clear that the very charismatic Patricia Kaas would represent France and I have to say: the woman did a wonderful job! Just like Estonia France didn't chose for a very interesting stage performance with many things going on, but for a beautiful song: "Et s'il fallait le faire" (And if it had to be done).
It's great to see that some countries in modern times still remembered was ESC is about. France finished 8th in the final (the first top 10 place since 2002) and 5th in my list. Vive la France!

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg28294#msg28294

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #237 on: August 07, 2009, 05:12:46 PM »
good work dear

but estonia and france below albania, now THAT's insane! i hope it won't be your winner :doh:
with the fetish green guy and the fact that it was moved into ENGLISH!

and i disagree with estonia and france having bad backgrounds. The simplicity of the deep blue made sure that the focus was centered on the song nd her beauty. songs' message don't have to be in english or shown boringly on screens to get through.. for france it was a huge mood atmosphere created through the slow motion figures

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg28295#msg28295

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #238 on: August 07, 2009, 06:48:53 PM »
Thank you Morgan  :hug:

And I also think that the backgrounds from Estonia and France weren't bad. I only admire the fact that the backgrounds were simple. I totally agree with you on that point.

:)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg28299#msg28299

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #239 on: August 07, 2009, 07:27:02 PM »
4. Portugal / Portugal

Portugal, from the countries without a victory the one that have the most participations. Portugal never reached the top 5, which I really don't understand because Portugal has interesting entries in the past (1993, 1996 for example).
Portugal also has really good entries in the past few years (2007, 2008), but unfortunately the televoters didn't fell for it.
Portugal tried it this year with a very cute, ethnic performance, just like Moldova. I was surprised, but also very happy that the televoters voted for Portugal in the semi-final. The background was maybe a little bit to colourful, but Portugal definitely deserved their place in the final.
Maybe top 5 next year?

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg28300#msg28300

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #240 on: August 07, 2009, 07:29:17 PM »
3. Albanië / Albania

Albania, the only country with a live orchestra in their national final.
Carry Me In Your Dreams was a entry that I like a lot!
Kejsi Tola can sing amazingly good for a 16-year old girl and the performance was interesting. The only thing is that I wonder why the dancer was wearing that Green outfit? And maybe it was better to use the original song, "Më merr në ëndërr" (Take me into your dreams).
After all it was a song to remember and I was happy that Albania made it to the final.

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg28301#msg28301

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #241 on: August 07, 2009, 07:34:11 PM »
2. Azerbeidzjan / Azerbaijan

It was only the second time that Azerbaijan participated, after finishing on the 8th place last year.
Their entry this year was immediately one of the best in my opinion. It had everything that a winning entry needs: two good singers, a good song and a very good stage performance with three good dancers.
The only thing that´s irritating me is that Azerbaijan and Turkey gave each other 12 points in 2008 and 2009. They give each other 12 points just because they are  neighbours, but this year Azerbaijan definitely deserved many points.

Good job Azerbaijan  ;)

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg28302#msg28302

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #242 on: August 07, 2009, 08:01:20 PM »
1. Noorwegen / Norway

And finally my number 1: Norway!  :)

It's the first time in years that I agree with the winner! This entry had everything: a very good singer, good stage performance and a very interesting song. Alexander Rybak received points from every part of Europe.
Norway is participating since 1960, and already won the contest twice (1985 and 1995). Norway also became last 10 times, which is a record in the history of Eurovision. It's not the only record from Norway: Rybak scored the most points ever in the final. I especially liked the instrumental part. It was a very recognizable song. A little bit dissapointing that the voting in the final was so boring, but I'm looking forward to the Eurovision Song Contest 2010 in Oslo!

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg28303#msg28303

Offline Remy

• Escvibes Friend
« Reply #243 on: August 07, 2009, 08:05:06 PM »
That was my full ranking.  ;)

I'm going on vacation tomorrow morning and I wish you all a very nice weekend!  :grouphug:

The list:

42. Czech Republic
41. Latvia
40. Belarus
39. Russia
38. Hungary
37. Serbia
36. Greece
35. Sweden
34. Croatia
33. Bulgaria
32. Slovenia
31. Denmark
30. Montenegro
29. Malta
28. Netherlands
27. Lithuania
26. Macedonia
25. Turkey
24. Armenia
23. Ukraine
22. Cyprus
21. Ireland
20. Belgium
19. Germany
18. Bosnia & Herzegovina
17. Switzerland
16. Spain
15. Andorra
14. Poland
13. Finland
12. Israel
11. Slovakia
10. United Kingdom
09. Iceland
08. Romania
07. Estonia
06. Moldova
05. France
04. Portugal
03. Albania
02. Azerbaijan
01. Norway

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg28304#msg28304

Offline Relyana

• Webmaster
    • Eurovision Forum | ESC Vibes
« Reply #244 on: August 07, 2009, 09:35:48 PM »
Nice reading ! Thanks Remy  :) ... I second Morgan on that Albania above Estonia and France (in Top 3 actually) is ... unthinkable !! ... but again ... each to their own and I'd better start writing my own reviews instead of starring at your rankings.   :P

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg28305#msg28305
Sometimes I'm good but when I'm bad I'm even better

Offline Lonter

• In The Disco
  • No rhyme that rhymes with living...
« Reply #245 on: August 08, 2009, 06:43:04 PM »
Don't stop yourself, don't kill yourself
It's only a way of delaying ourselves...

Offline Martial

• Escvibes Friend
  • Blondie's Lover
« Reply #246 on: August 08, 2009, 11:43:12 PM »
i knew you were gonna comment that one!

Linkback: http://www.escvibes.com/index.php?topic=995.msg28317#msg28317